It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

qingche HB User
Fluid around the heart---I am very scared!

Hi, my doctor has just called me after I went for echocardiogram. They found some fluid around my heart (pericardial effusion). Although it is said to be a small to moderate amount of fluid, I will need to go back and get some blood tests down.

I am a 33 year old female with no family history of heart disease. Recently I have been experiencing shortness of breath, dizziness, uncomfortable around the left side, tightness in the chest, and fatigue. I went to doctors after doctors and most of them just listened to my heart beat and told me that I was having an anxiety/panic disorder. I also had ECG but it turned normal. However, I was convinced for some reason that there was something wrong with my heart, so I continued to see doctors. Finally this doctor did Echo on me!

I am really scared now for this new finding! My primary care doctor did an Echo in June last year and found nothing. But how come this doctor all of the sudden found fluid in the sac? Has anyone here experienced the same situation?? How serious is this??? I am so scared...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Fluid around the heart---I am very scared!

Pericardial effusion can be lesser or more serious...it depends on the underlying cause.
If it is squeezing your heart sufficient to cause severe heart symptoms (cardaic tamponade,) then the fluid is first aspirated with a needle and the casue looked for. If symnptoms aren't severe, the cause can be sought out first.
Quote:
Pericardial effusion can have many possible causes, including heart failure, tumors, lupus, bacterial or viral infection, or radiation treatment
Get under the care of a good cardiologist...maybe a course of antibiotics is all you need.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-31-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

qingche are you still around? I have just been released from the hospital, i had fluid around my heart, around lungs, and in my lungs. Had a heart rate of 170 when i was addmitted, then after ten people come in the room it went over 200 but for the last week or maybe more it was 110-130 range. I'm pretty old though i'll be 28 this year.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
(male)

Tommy2004 HB User

Q

I had the exact same experience as you, im a 32 year old male, always thought i was pretty healthy etc.. I went to doc, the ECG and other tests seemed normal, then i started feeling dizzy so went for a echo...

That was yesterday..

Today im getting ready to go to Tampa to see the big time good cardio docs, they said i had fluid around my heart, there not sure why since i havent been sick or felt sick and they said i had a valve that was leaking.

Im completely and totally freaking out, im really scared, but its good to know someone else had very similiar experience and its not just me.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Hey again tommy, Have you found out anything else yet?

I'm still here

Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
(male)

Tommy2004 HB User

Yep, after 32 million blood tests, scans etc.. since ive been here they are going to do a heart catheter today, and tommorow do open heart surgery on me to replace the valve. Im a bit scared but i have one of the best cardiac sugeons in Tampa and listening to the people around here they say its a pretty painless quick procedure, just easy to get very freaked out...

Ill let you know how it goes after Friday though

Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

I hope everything goes good for you. So the fluid is caused by a leaky valve?

Closed Thread