It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Aspirin For Women

CBS news had a report last night about women who should be taking aspirin to prevent heart disease, whether or not they have high BP, high cholesterol, etc. My cardio wants me to take a low dose 81 mg. coated aspirin every day (I've never had a heart attack), but do have high BP and cholesterol. I'm just worried about the side effects of stomach bleeding. Anyone have any opinion on this topic?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

wrmasylum HB Userwrmasylum HB User
Re: Aspirin For Women

I have a bad family history of heart disease on my Dads side. When i saw a cardiologist and told him this he put me one full dose aspirin a day. Been on it now for about three years and have no problems tolerating it. You have to weigh the good and the bad benefits of taking it and the good far outweigh the bad. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

An aspirin a day isn't likely to hurt the vast majority of people....and if you have a cardiologist, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure, the benefit likely strongly outweighs any minimal risks (which are even more minimal at 81 mg and enteric coated).

On the other hand, if you are completely healthy and in your 20s or 30s, with no family history of heart disease or stroke, it probably isn't worth it until you are older.

My mom is 90 years old and DOES have gi bleeding periodically due to diverticulosis, and she still takes a "baby" aspirin every other day to prevent a stroke due to Afib.

Last edited by Connie122516; 02-20-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I've taken at least 650 mg. of aspirin a day for over 20 years with no problems at all.

Of course, anyone with bleeding problems like ulcers or colitis might want to be more vigilant.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-21-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I've taken at least 650 mg. of aspirin a day for over 20 years with no problems at all.
Lenin, I think there must be a typo there - "650mg" is surely way too much for the blood thinning effect you want. With that level of aspirin you would be better looking at other ways to thin the blood. Are you paranoid about getting a blood clot?
With Aspirin one thing I wonder about is how the benefit would vary over a 24 hour period. Taking it for a headache, for example, I know the pain-killing benefit seems to wear off after 2-4 hours, thus any blood platelet stickiness benefit would, I expect, wear off too. Maybe that's where your 650mg comes in - 100mg six times a day would pretty much cover it I'm sure. But any Aspirin packet says not to take it that often.
Maybe it's the high you get?? It would numb my brain too!!
Beefsteak

Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

micky501 HB User

I take the 81mg Women's Asprin With Calcium daily. I have high cholesterol for which I take a statin. I think the benifit outweighs the harm at a low dose.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Lenin: I've taken at least 650 mg. of aspirin a day for over 20 years with no problems at all.

Of course, anyone with bleeding problems like ulcers or colitis might want to be more vigilant.
That probably explains the nose bleeds you have experienced. I'm taking 325 coated and that may be too much for just blood thinning effects. Thinking of just a baby dose.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Those of you taking Aspirin, is that true that you're never feel headache and bone aching? Why I still can feel gastric pain? Isn't it the painkiller? Would you still feel pain when the unexpected "heart attack" or chest pain occur? Just very curious!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak,

My reasons for taking 650 mg. aspirin are several-fold:
1. There is evidence that perhaps a third of people do not get the platelet "destickifying" at a dose of 81 mg. aspirin and that coverage is much closer to 100% with even a single 325 mg pill. If you get coverage for this effect the platelet is unstickified for it's 7 day life (but you need it every day becasue 15% of platelets are made new and sticky every day.)

2. There really are very few antiinflammatory agents that are better than aspirin and inflammation seems to play a sizeable role in initialting atherosclerotic plaques. The antiinflammatory effect requires FAR higher dosage than 81 mg.

3. I have long standing back, knee, and shoulder pains from old injuries and continued weight lifting and aerobics...an analgesic dose of aspirin aids in controlling this pain...when in pain I take 1300 mg./day.

4.Warning on label is usually "Do not take more than 12 tablets (3900 mg.) in a 24 hour period. In fact, people with rheumatoid arthritis, before the invention of the gazillion NSAIDS (like the marvellous VIOXX ) were advised to take 6 grams of aspirin a day FOR LIFE. That's 18 full sized aspirin per day.

5. And last, but not least, it helps prevent a niacin flush so I take them together and with food.

I think that people who suffer no gastric effects on aspirin should take 325 mg. rather than 81 mg. After all, the 50,000 physicians who did the long trial on themselves to confirm that aspirin prevents heart attacks took 325 or 650 mg./day. The 81 mg. came about by consensus to minimize the stomach doscomfort in the minority who got gastritis.

Alas Beefsteak, There's no high at all from aspirin...NADA.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-22-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika View Post
Those of you taking Aspirin, is that true that you're never feel headache and bone aching?
Aspirin is an analgesic, not anesthesia. I only wish I didn't feel the aches and pains that seem to be common with aging. It probably helps reduce such things a bit, but certainly doesn't eliminate them...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post

My reasons for taking 650 mg. aspirin are several-fold: ......

2. There really are very few antiinflammatory agents that are better than aspirin and inflammation seems to play a sizeable role in initialting atherosclerotic plaques. The antiinflammatory effect requires FAR higher dosage than 81 mg.

5. And last, but not least, it helps prevent a niacin flush so I take them together and with food.

I think that people who suffer no gastric effects on aspirin should take 325 mg. rather than 81 mg. After all, the 50,000 physicians who did the long trial on themselves to confirm that aspirin prevents heart attacks took 325 or 650 mg./day. The 81 mg. came about by consensus to minimize the stomach doscomfort in the minority who got gastritis.
(
Lenin, thanks for a thought-provoking post on Aspirin. I had not realized there was such a strong case for higher doses.
The anti-inflamatory effect is an interesting one. What evidence is there you know of showing that Aspirin has an effect on inflamation associated with atherosclerotic plaques? I wonder what the therapeutic benefits of that, if any, might be.

Niacin, for me seems to bring on gout beyond the level that 300mg of allopurin can control. So I might go back to my soy milk and soy powder, since they raise HDL slightly, and seem to make me feel a bit better.

Can you give me a reference to the 50000 physician aspirin trial? I have found one but not sure if it's the one you had in mind. It's also in a subscription journal.

My chest pressure threshold seems to be getting lower all the time. Every day I have angina, and exercise after a meal brings it on quite easily. If I could just arrest the progression I would be very much happier. I notice more tingling in my feet, toes and arms. But I wonder how much of this is due to the lowering of my blood pressure. Some readings I get now are as low as 100/60, but they do vary a bit.
Thanks mate, Beefsteak

Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Beefy,

The big aspirin study was called THE PHYSICIAN'S HEALTH STUDY and it was started a quarter century ago:
This was its first phase:
Quote:
The 33,223 willing and eligible physicians were enrolled in a run-in phase during which all received active aspirin and placebo beta-carotene. After 18 weeks, participants were sent a questionnaire asking about their health status, side effects, compliance, and willingness to continue in the trial. A total of 11,152 changed their minds, reported a reason for exclusion, or did not reliably take the study pills. The remaining 22,071 physicians were then randomly assigned to receive active aspirin and active beta-carotene (n=5,517), active aspirin and beta-carotene placebo (n=5,520), aspirin placebo and active beta-carotene (n=5,519), or aspirin placebo and beta-carotene placebo (n=5,515). A total of 11,037 physicians were randomized to aspirin and 11,034 to aspirin placebo; a total of 11,034 physicians were randomized to beta-carotene and 11,037 to beta-carotene placebo.

Active aspirin consisted of one 325 mg tablet (as Bufferin, supplied by Bristol-Myers Products) taken every other day<<less than I'd thought >>. Active beta-carotene consisted of one 50 mg capsule (as Lurotin, supplied by BASF AG) taken every other day. The pills were supplied in foil-backed calendar packs.
They are doing a second huge decade-long study now study now (though not on aspirin) to be completed this year.

Quote:
Physicians were invited to join PHS-II in two phases. In the first phase, beginning in July 1997, physicians who had participated in PHS-I were sent a letter explaining the background and rationale for PHS-II along with an informed consent form and a questionnaire asking about the occurrence of relevant medical conditions and the use of various vitamin supplements over the preceding year. To take part in PHS-II, men who were taking individual supplements containing more than 100&#37; of the RDA of vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene, or a multivitamin had to forego the use of such supplements for the course of the trial. A total of 7,641 of the participants of PHS-I signed on for another hitch.

In phase two, invitation packets were mailed to 254,597 U.S. male physicians aged 50 years and older who were registered with the American Medical Association and who had not taken part in PHS-I. Of these, 16,743 said they were willing to participate in PHS-II and 11,128 were eligible for the trial.
Gosh beefsteak,
I have never seen a reference to that gout-niacin connection. I guess I blinded myself to it if I saw it. I am currently doing a 60 day trial WITHOUT allopurinol (to judge it's efffect on an annoying couple rashes I have) and thus I have eliminated my BP meds for the last month because I KNOW how dangerous diuretics can be in connection with gout. BUT I have been continuing to take my niacin...AND I am beginning to suspect all is not well with my right bunion joint first thing in the morning. I have even popped a couple colchicine from time to time. This isn't an excuciatingly acute pain, but seems like a chronic annoyance of an old uric acid tophus.
If you have a good non-commercial link between uric acid and niacin, let me know.

As an aside, ANOTHER reason for my use of rather generous use of aspirin that applies directly to the two of us: aspirin's action is unique: in HIGH doses it is uricosuric (good) but in LOW doses it causes the retention of uric acid...VERY BAD for gout sufferers.

(ARB's are slightly uricosuric, so that's GOOD! )

My estimation of aspirin's antiinflammatory action in the coronary arteries is by inference only...since it seems to be antiinflammatory everywhere else, it is probably a fair conclusion. Inflammation in small arteries is close to impossible to measure unless iit progresses to the deadly level of arteritis.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-27-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

The optimal aspirin dose remains uncertain with a selection 325 - 81 mg/day for a potential to reduce ischemic events.

Large doses have not been associated with a proportionally greater benefit. Overall consensus define the range between 75 to 160 mg/day for the secondary prevention of myocardial infraction, stroke, and vascular death. The dosage has to measured against the possible side effect.

Although I don't have any known side effects, I will cut back on the 325/day to 81mg.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

As a sidebar, here's some food for thought:
Quote:
The role that aspirin might have in reducing the rates of certain cancers has been the subject of many studies. However, given the side effects of NSAIDs on increased gastrointestinal bleeding and rates of heart disease, there is no current medical recommendation to use these drugs for cancer reduction.

Prostate - While there is some epidemiological information suggesting a correlation between the reduction of prostate cancer and aspirin use, two recent studies (a multicentric case-control study and epidemiological study) were inconclusive.[20][21]

Colon - A 2005 JAMA article states that aspirin may prevent carcinoma of the colon, when taken in at least twice-daily adult (325 mg) doses.[22] It follows an earlier study, also using the Nurses' Health Study (NHS) women, which had similar conclusions but with a smaller testing population.[23] The conclusions of the studies were that both aspirin and other non-aspirin NSAIDs used over a long time (best results seen after at least a decade of regular use) reduce risk of colorectal cancer. The risk was reduced the most at doses higher than 14 g tablets per week (full-strength aspirin twice a day). However, these doses can have a higher incidence of serious gastrointestinal bleeding, and reduced doses (even the low doses recommended for cardiovascular health (81 mg/day)) also seem to have an anti-cancer effect, albeit not as much as the higher doses. These epidemiological studies have been confirmed by experimental studies in volunteers and in rodents. At least four clinical trials show that small doses of aspirin reduce, modestly, intestinal polyps recurrence in volunteers. These data are available on Chemoprevention Database, e.g., Baron's study [3]. Some twenty carcinogenesis studies in rats or mice also support that aspirin can prevent cancer, also reported in the Database.

Gall bladder - There is some evidence that aspirin may increase gall bladder motility and thus be effective in treating gall bladder disease.[citation needed]

Pancreatic - A study in 2004 showed that increases in dose and duration of aspirin may significantly increase the risk of pancreatic cancer in women (only women were in the study); however this did not seem to affect current, regular users.[24]

Upper GI tract - A study published in 2003 reported that people who had been taking aspirin regularly for 5 or more years seemed to have a two-thirds less risk of mouth, throat and esophageal cancer than non-users.[25] This study was done on both cancer patients and other people in hospital for various reasons, and was done by comprehensive epidemiological questionnaires of life habits rather than empirical testing.

Lung - A 20-year study published in 2002 showed that in a group of 14,000 women in New York City, regular aspirin use (defined as at least once a week, various doses) reduced their risk of lung cancer, especially small-cell carcinoma.[26] This may be because many lung tumors have high amounts of COX-2 enzymes expressed in them, especially in adenocarcinomas and tumors caused by asbestosis.[27] Aspirin is a known blocker of both COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes, although this study suggests that if the COX-2 link is direct, other COX-2 inhibitors may also play a similar role.
Amazingly,
Hippocrates used ground willow bark for pain and fever in the 5th Century BC. The active ingredient was of couse, salycilic acid.
Nature has been kind to us.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

For every induced unnatural chemical action there is a systemic reaction...that's the problem. A very high dose is also a high risk for almost everyone and 71 mg/day is sufficient to thin the blood and help prevent clots. A higher dosage isn't a better anticoagulant.

Last edited by started04; 03-01-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Closed Thread