It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
Adenosine Cardiolite Stress Test

Does anyone know anything about this type of stress test? My father is going for one on 4/6 because of a possible blockage. They told my on the phone when I made the appointment it is injections instead of walking on the treadmill. Is this safe to race up the heart with chemicals with what they are ruling out? It just makes me nervous, I have had a few different types of stress tests done myself and they are killer so I can't imagine this one being much easier.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
(male)

Toneman HB User
Re: Adenosine Cardiolite Stress Test

I had this done recently, its not big deal. They use the drug to raise the heart rate so they see how the heart responds to stress. They order this type of test when there is a reason they feel your father can't get his heart rate up to his target rate due to mobility problems for example, with me it was arthitic knees. Do you know if it is just a stress test or is it a nuclear stress test where they will also take pcitures of his heart before and after the stress test? They will usually call this either a Thallium or Cardiolite stress test.

In either case, when I had the injections, it made me feel instantly like I was running a marathon, my heart rate went up and I was breathing heavy and felt flushed. It lasted about two minutes and then they injected the tracer for the xrays and then one more minute and they stopped the injection. The effects of the injection stopped immediatley. It is a safe procedure and there will be a cardiologist in the room during the test to be safe. What they are looking for are signs of blocked arteries by how your father's blood pressure and heart rate respond to exercise as well as his EKG during the test and any changes which may indicate the presence of a blockage in one of his arteries. I did not find this test to be stressful, no pun intended, at all. It was actually less difficult than the normal treadmill test I had last year.

Good luck,

Tony

Last edited by Toneman; 03-24-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Personally, I would prefer the treadmill which you can STOP with too much discomfort. But for those who cannot use a treadmill, I assume they are watching pretty carefully lest patients don't go into dangerous tachycardia or fibrillation from the adenosine.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Eeyore,

I am a freak when it comes to tests in the hospital and I had the same one last year and it was a no brainer.
I never felt like my heart was racing or anything after they injected the adenosine. They use the adrenosine to simulate the heart pumping hard and your pulse rate high. They put me on a treadmill and pumped me with the adrensine and all I felt like is that I was going to pass out. There were two nurses and a cardiologist in the room watching monitors as I treadmilled. By the time I got off the treadmill the pass out feeling went away.
The hardest part of the whole test, is laying still with my arms above my head, on a very narrow table while this huge xray machine rotated around me for 25 minutes. Trying not to move while my hands and fingers went numb was the hardest part.
Your dad should be fine and be glad this test is around, because I wished it would have been when my father was.

good luck,
lyl

Last edited by lylone; 03-26-2007 at 03:41 AM.

Closed Thread