It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

JERSEYHOCKEY HB User
Question Aortic Valve Replacement

My 79 Year Old Mother Has Just Been Diagnosed With Aortic Stenosis And Will Undergo A Cardic Catherization Tomorrow To Confirm Severity. I've Done Lots Of Internet Research On Avr, But Am Looking Now For More Personal Experience Info. Spcifically, Bergen County (nj): Good/bad Doctor Experience, Good/bad Hospital Experiences, Etc. And Generally, Good/bad Replacement Choices, Recovery Experiences, Etc. My Mother Is In Gereral Good Health--- Some High Blood Pressure, Has Had 5 Hernia Repairs, And Double Knee Replacement. Never Smoked, But Took In Dad's 2nd Hand Smoke For Over 35 Years (till 1985). Any Info And Personal Accounts Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
(male)

daryel62 HB User
Re: Aortic Valve Replacement

I have a st judes aortic valve and a mitral valve. They were put in 11 years ago at age 33. I caught endocarditis "Heart infection" daughter had leukimia and I was sleeping on hospital floor at baptist hospital in NC. Some how I contracted an infection and it ended up in my blood.

anyway, the surgery on the arotic valve went well. since it is artifical I have to take cumadin "Blood thinner" Your mother would be a candidate for a flesh valve due to her age. Flesh valves wear out after some years but at age 79 they will feel she is close enough to end of life to use a flesh valve "Harsh but true"

Actually, I have two valves, mitral and aortic. I had 3 surgeries in 8 months and nearly died. The mitral valve and the infection were the culprits that complicated things. As I said, the aortic valve replacement went well. If no infection I am sure all would have went much better including the mitral valve night mare

Post back with any questions.

Last edited by daryel62; 04-08-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread