HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Heart Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/)
-   -   Palpitations during bowel movement? Yikes! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/heart-disorders/486520-palpitations-during-bowel-movement-yikes.html)

fancis 04-01-2007 07:00 PM

Palpitations during bowel movement? Yikes!

Just when I thought I was getting used to my palpitations...

During my routine bowel movement the other morning I had a string of skipped beats in a row. Really scary stuff. I have low blood pressure and assume that it must have been extra low that morning. I hadn't had anything to drink yet. I don't remember straining either. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been through all the tests and everything's come back OK. Occasional tachycardia, benign skipped beats, echo was good, stress test was good.

I now live in fear of pooping. Ridiculous. Any words of comfort? Anyone else have this? Chances of dying while having a bowel movement?

Thanks!

Lenin 04-02-2007 06:45 AM

Re: Palpitations during bowel movement? Yikes!

FLME,

As a child, were you frightened by an evil toilet seat?:jester:

fancis 04-02-2007 08:30 AM

I'm trying to see the humor in that. I was hoping to have a constructive or helpful reply. :-)

Having a string of palpitations during a bowel movement is scary stuff! Cardiac patients die that way sometimes, don't they?

Nobody here has had this before?

Dancer_Cat86 04-02-2007 08:46 AM

hhahaha..........i thought i was the only one that gets that...i was too embarassed to tell my cardio about that.lol.......i dont know if i get the skipped beats... dont think so, but i deffinately become very aware of my heart beats and feel abit of pounding in my chest (take it thats palpitations) i think i get it almost everytime i get a bowel movement though! i didnt think about the dying on the toilet thing.lol..............i guess it depends what condition you have, the chances are if you dont have a serious arhythmia then you shouldnt!

ww23river 04-02-2007 03:07 PM

I get a string of skipped beats...but it's hormonal for me...i always feel like i have to rush to the toilet to have a bowel movement also...had this for years...wish i knew exactly what it is...

fancis 04-02-2007 03:18 PM

Thanks for you replies!

The palpitations are definitely triggered by hormones for me as well. I get them other times, but find that they're especially bad during ovulation and period time.

Are your string of skipped beats happening during your BM or beforehand? When I wake up in the morning sometimes I have chest pressure and a fast heartbeat signaling that it's time to go. This was the first time that I had palpitations while actually sitting and, um, going though. I had to grab the side of the wall and just hope that I wouldn't die. So scary. I have low BP and am assuming that it was extra low then. I read too much about people dying during a BM. Did your cardiologist seem to think that your strings during BM were a problem?

Thanks so much!

iwanttobefree 04-03-2007 01:38 AM

what is this about dying duering BM i never heard of that

i often get skipped beats and bit heady before BM but thought that might be IBS/vagus nerve stuff??

Mileena42 04-03-2007 04:31 AM

OK, I have just the opposite. I wake up from sleep with horrible palps AND a pounding heart and realise that thats what woke me but also that I am sick to the point of throwing up. Once, I have done that my heart goes back to normal and I can go back to sleep. I always thought this had something to do with my Acid Reflux. My doctor told me that bearing down as IF you were having a BM should stop your palps. It works for some.....I have had it work for me. Good Luck!
Mileena

Lenin 04-03-2007 04:53 AM

"Forcing" during a BM, something too many people do, will markedly raise your BP (actually called a "valsalva" event.)
Such a sudden high BP might be expected to increase the odds of palpitations in somebody susceptible to them.

Pardon, my attempt at humour...some people are more receptive of it than others.

fancis 04-03-2007 05:00 AM

Mileena42- Bearing down usually will help stop my palpitations. That morning I didn't think I was straining, that's why I have to guess that it was because my bp was so low. I'm sorry you wake up feeling so ill sometimes. That's no fun!

iwanttobefree- when you get the skipped beats beforehand do you mean really beforehand like when you're sitting to go or do you mean beforehand like when you wake up? :-)

Lenin- I can handle your humor. :-) I was just excited to see that someone responded to my post and then disappointed to see that it was a joke and not a "real" answer. I really am scared now to go poop and just wanted to hear that I wasn't alone and to get some advice.

Thanks everyone!

ww23river 04-03-2007 07:04 AM

do u mean when people die and then they have a BM? When people die their bodies naturally relax and everything lets go...like they urinate or/and have a BM...

fancis 04-03-2007 07:22 AM

Unfortunately I mean when people die WHILE having a BM. Heart attack, stroke, cardiac arrest. I wasn't straining when I had my problem but I did go into an abnormal heart pattern which concerns me. What's to keep it from leading to cardiac arrest, you know?

iwanttobefree 04-03-2007 02:02 PM

i mean sometimes a bm will be preceded by skipped beats and slight dizziness

ww23river 04-04-2007 06:42 AM

i usually have a irregular heartbeat before i feel like i have to go...how long does yours last for...it last for like a minute for me and then I actually feel my heart go back into rhythm...like it feels like it's going faster...how old are you? I had this since my early twenties...and i have never had a heart attack from it...and I had it many times after the birth of my two babies...and continously after i stopped bcps...so i assure you you won't die from it...i'm 28 now

fancis 04-04-2007 08:28 AM

I get the skipped (extra) beats more frequently during ovulation and my period. I get them other days too though. If I'm hungry or too full, too hot or cold, bend over to pick something up, as I'm going to bed. I'm getting used to them. The times that scare me the most are when I'm walking around and get a string of them, or the other morning. I woke up and felt that I had to do a BM. My blood pressure is low and I didn't have anything to drink yet, just went right into the potty. I sat and don't recall straining. Just all of a sudden got a string of them and had to grab the wall. It was really scary. Since then I've been reading about people dying during a BM from abnormal heart rhythms/cardiac arrest, strokes and heart attacks. Now I'm all freaked out about it happening again. :-) The string felt like a long time but realistically it was probably only seconds I guess. Scary when you try to feel your pulse and there's just a pause, then it starts and then pauses again. I'm 28 also, with 1 baby.