It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

brooklynbetsy HB User
magnesium for pvc's??

I 've been reading a lot of peoples posts and a lot talk about taking magnesium supplements. my cardio and ep have never mentioned taking magnesium. i had svt which i had a successful ablation for but now suffer from pvc's. i just lasst week wore a holter bc ever since i went off birth control a month ago my pvc's have increased to every other beat almost all day long(or edleast thats how it feels). i tried toprol but couldnt tolerate bc it lowered my bp too much. do magnesium supplements really help? and how much should i take? are there any other supplements that are helpful for those suffering from pvc's?? thanks so much for any advice.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User
Re: magnesium for pvc's??

I have read some people on this board say they didnt help, and a few even said they made them worse. For me, they were a life saver. If I am having palps magnesium can stop them within half an hour. I bought the cheapest I could find.....magnesium and calcium together. My pill has a total of 167mg of magnesuim.....sometimes I take two a day....most of the time I just take one. Lately, I have found (as I just said in another post) that walking a mile a day has helped me greatly. I am not even taking my mags and no palps! Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Betsy,

I have Svts and Pvcs for 17 years and just started taking Mg 250mg in the Am everyday since December. Since then I have noticed a big difference. I feel a pvc every once in awhile, and have only had one Svt that lasted 10 minutes in the past six months. I also walk/jog at least a mile a day.
Also, I went back on the pill and so far the combination has worked.
I do notice more pvcs when my period starts and when the hormones are changing.

Lyl

Last edited by lylone; 04-16-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I praise magnesium to the skies. Most people I have recommended it to have shown dramatic relief from various rhythm irregularities.
I take a cheap magnesium oxide tablet that provides 200 mg. magnesium first thing every morning because it dissolves best in the strong acid of an empty stomach.

(If it causes any unpleasant gurgling, then it can be taken with food.)

Many clinics give a shot of magnesium to anyone presenting with any heart problems.

If it doesn't work, the net loss is a couple dollars for a month's trial...Puritan Pride is usually the cheapest, but Vitamin Shoppe is also quite reasonable...as is your local DOLLAR STORE!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

brooklynbetsy HB User

thank you so much everyone. i am definately going to pick up some magnesium today. my pvc's are horrible right now. i have had other stretches that have been bad but this is constant. i am really curious to see what my holter moniter reports(just wore it thurs-fri). last time it was bad i was having around 6,000 a day. it seems muchworse to me these past few weeks. every time i check my pulse there's a double beat every other beat. anyway thanks for all of your input about magnesium.

The Following User Says Thank You to brooklynbetsy For This Useful Post:
goodgravy (11-05-2012)
Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

desiii HB User

I've been having palps for two weeks now and it was brutal in the beginning. (Still not diagnosed and on a waiting list for a holter). One of the first things I did was start taking magnesium. I'm still having some issues, but things are improving quite a bit lately. I also take Fish/borage/flax oil pills, Coenzyme Q10, and Vitamin B6, which helps the other ones obsorb in the body. I noticed quite a diference when I added the B6 to the magnesium, so I think those might be the two most important ones. I take 150 mg magnesium capsules, 3 times/day. I agree it's certainly worth a shot!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

IhaveHope HB User

I too suffer palps, and have for over 20 years now. My palps are very hormonally related. At one time I was having a PAC every other beat - literally. I started looking at the different foods I took in, and decided to cut out caffeine. No results. I quit any foods/drinks with aspartame, and my palps disappeared overnight!!! It felt like a miracle. I still have pac's around ovulation and around my period. If I accidentally get something with aspartame, even just a stick of gum, I get the severe palps again. So no aspartame for me. I also take magnesium which helps too. Just a thought ~ if you use aspartame you might want to stop to see if it helps you.
IhaveHope

Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Sorry to say, I am one that magnesium hasn't helped. I have had pac's and pvc's for years. I take Tenormin 50mg. twice daily. At 52 my hormones are all over the place and the palps are awful lately. I always take magnesium to help with constipation, but I increased the amount I was taking to see if it would help the palps and there was no difference. I would give anything if it worked for me, but it just doesn't. Hope you have better luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
(female)

brooklynbetsy HB User

i'm not sure if its the magnesium that is working but something is working bc my pvc's are greatly diminished. at the same time i started taking a magnesium supplemenet i started taking omega 3 and 25 mg of toprol(again). i also changed my diet by quitting caffiene, sugar, diet coke(apartame) and drinking a lot of water (smart water). whatever it is, its working but it looks like i am going to need an ablation bc my holter mon recorded a lot of pvcs dont know exact number but cardio ssaid it was "innumerable". my cardio is worried about how the hormonal changes will effect me during pregnancy. he suspects it will get a lot worse and i should not be on beta blockers during bc they lower my blood ppressure , which is already pretty low. i hope all goes well, but for now i will keep up with the dietary changes and supplements.

Closed Thread