It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Heart palps with weights but not cardio

Hello,
I am a 45 year old man, overall good health, athletic. Have lifted weights and done cardio for years. Last several months, have been getting palps while lifting weights, but NOT doing cardio (treadmill/stairmaster). The pattern is the same; whether doing benchpress, barbell curls, etc. as soon as I stop the exercise, it fells like my heart stops and then re-starts with 3 VERY forceful beats in a row. It is very disconcerting and sometimes hurts.

For the record, had nuclear stress test in February, all fine. Have suffered from anxiety, esp. in last 3-4 months. Add to that, recentl rise in blood pressure from under 120/80 several months ago to now running about 147/94. Wondering if all these are related!

alex

Old 04-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
(male)

JohnCarp HB User
Re: Heart palps with weights but not cardio

Have had irregular heart beat for several years, since about 30. Definitely worse with weights. Have read and have myself had experience with PVC's and irregular heart beats after wieghts. Am sometimes scared to lift weights, especially heavy weight / low reps.

I have severe episodes daily, usually later in the day. I have not found any cure and it's frustrating and depressing. Scary sometimes. I can also climb on a treadmill and have everything go away. I can run 6 miles no problem. I can wide press 275 lbs 6 to 7 times and get out of control heart rate.

Nuclear tests are fine, doctor sent me home with Coreg and a smile. Like a bad car, I'm going to drive it until it breaks.

Last edited by JohnCarp; 04-28-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: first time post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User

Wow that sounds exactly like me. Its weird that weights send my heart rate sky high, but I now know they do. When I jump on cardio after weights, my heart rate is roughly 20 points higher than if I just do cardio, and it STAYS 20 points higher right through to the end. Heart rate recovery is 20 bpm, which has me a little relieved.

I'll chalk it up to middle age and cross my fingers its no something worse!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

There are two muscle groups and combination of the two groups (fast twitch and slow twitch musle fibers). Slow twitch group is significant for a runner (treadmill) and fast twitch for strength. There is an immediate and greater demand for more blood/oxygen with heavy resistence training. That could be an explanation and as one ages the fast twitch group is reduced.

Yes, as one ages there are physical changes, but exercise slows the process.

Closed Thread