It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

Laynee3 HB User
Atrial Fibrillation and Coumadin

Hello, I'm relatively new to posting here but have been reading for a while. I'm a woman, age 54. I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a few months ago by way of holter monitor. The cardiologist prescribed toprol and coumadin. I objected to the coumadin because I have inflamation in my stomach lining (gastritis). And I drink a bottle and a half of wine daily. I've been drinking daily for 15 years. He convinced me that I was at risk for a stroke and it would be okay to continue drinking along with taking coumadin.

Last week I went to my internist and he about flipped his lid and said I was at high risk for sudden gastric bleeding, and it could be fatal. He wants me to stop drinking. I haven't had a drink since that day...until today. I only had three. But I'm a nervous wreck. I can't just quit drinking without a lot of help. But in the meantime, I'm making myself crazy thinking I'm going to bleed to death.

I've noticed that a lot of you on this board are taking toprol for atrial fibrillation. I'm doing fine with that. I still have some irregular heartbeat episodes but not nearly as bad as before. I'm wondering if my cardiologist is going overboard prescribing coumadin too. I'm tempted to stop taking it starting tonight. I would like to get a second opinion with another cardiologist. But it takes a while to get an appointment as a new patient. In the meantime, I just don't know what to do.

A prompt response would be greatly appreciated. Like many others here, I'm feeling a little desperate.

Laynee

Last edited by Laynee3; 04-22-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: edited for additional information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
(female)

charity2 HB User
Re: Atrial Fibrillation and Coumadin

Hi Laynee, I also have atrial fibrillation and am taking Coumadin. While in a-fib the blood may pool causing a stroke. The Coumadin keeps the blood "thin" which prevents clots which cause a stroke. Please do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor.

Charity

Closed Thread