It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

alan2877 HB User
neurocardio syncope

Hi,

I was diagnosed with neurocardio syncope about 10 months ago. I have been having blackouts/seizures on average about twice to three times a year (max) for the past 12 years. I have had 17 in total and they tend to last 30 secs siezures and about thirty mins in total before i'm fully right. I feel very tired after they occur and can sleep for long periods (hours) afterwards. Also i feel weak afterwards. I generally get an idea that thy could occur by single jerks before hand. These are as if i have lost consciousness for a split second and my eyes close and i can lose power in my legs, not enough to fall as i regain consciousness again before i have time to fall. These occur a few times before the main occurance happens. After the first instance i had all the tests done for epilepsy. These came back clear. However, about 5 years ago a neurologist diagnosed me with epilepsy. I was put on medication with all the usual side effects. I never felt this was correct as the main questions the neurologists always asked was did i wet myself during the instances or did i bite my tongue, both of which never occurred. I always felt it was more to do with my heart and when i went to a new neurologist i led them down the lne that it could be my heart. They agreed and sent me to a cardiologist last year. I had a tilt table test which i felt okay with in the first 25 minutes. Then i was administered drugs to induce syempton and lasted 11 minutes before i had to stop the test as i felt a blackout on the verge of occrring. I also has a holter test and a stress test. After these three tests i was diagnosed with neurocardio syncope. I'm fairly happy that the diagnosis is correct. However, i was advised that it is something i will have to live with i.e. no medication to resolve. These instances almost always occur in the morning not long after i have woken up. I would be a fairly physically fit individual and i play regular sport at a reasonable level. I was just wondering has anyone any similarity with what i have posted and does anyone have any ideas on the things i should do and athings i should avoid to help prevent these occurrances. They have become more regular in the last four years eg. 3/4 per year where as before that it was roughly once a year at most. If anything i have calmed down in the time since they have increased i.e. less exertions and nights out. I know that this helps even though they have occurred more regularly but again i just wondered if anyone has any advice in helping my situation. Just for the record i am now 30 years old and the first instance was when i was 18. They tended to happen a lot after nights out drinking and in general always occur when i'm exhausted in the morning after i had a night out or for whatever reason i'm tired such as physically exerting activities. They have also occurred the moring after i had a hot bath the previous night and other instances where i was possibly lacking in hyration from the previous day. Again i stress that it seems only to occur the morning after and never in evening times

Thanks in advance

Last edited by alan2877; 05-04-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

beckster46 HB User
Re: neurocardio syncope

I have the same condition. Mine has also gotten worse in the last couple of years. I passed out ont he tilt table test 8 minutes into it. This is what I have been advised to do about it -
Drink lots and lots of water throughout the day - keeping hydrated is key
Increase salt intake
I also wear compression socks during the day.

If you feel an episode coming on, you can cross your legs and squeeze your thighs and buttocks. This keeps the blood from pooling at your feet and thus passing out. You can also put your hands together and then act like you are trying to pull them apart. You can also put your head between your legs or lie down immediately with your feet raised.

I have also been on a beta blocker for the past year. Went a full year before I had another episode.

Hope this helps. I know it's pretty scary when they hit. I hate the lack of control I feel. Good luck!!

Closed Thread