It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(male)

Joe_Vermont HB User
Question What are the symptoms of a stent failure?

CAn anyone tell me what the symptons of my stents failing are?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: What are the symptoms of a stent failure?

Hi Joe,

If a stent fails usually there will be chest pain (angina). But with approximately 20% there will be just symptoms of heart failure...shortness of breath, pulmonary and system edema, dry coughing, fatique, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Joe,

It will likely be symptoms very similar to those you had before the stent because it is the same artery!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Joe,

It will likely be symptoms very similar to those you had before the stent because it is the same artery!
That's not necessarily true! Unless you have an answer why (which you do not) some experience angina with a blockage and approximately 29% do not, it is a false premise to assume the experience will be the same prior to the stent! Maybe likely, so I lowered the probability after giving that issue some thought before posting a response.

In other words don't rely with the belief the experience will be the same, and if not everything is OK. Can lead to heart failure!

Last edited by started04; 05-16-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
That's not necessarily true!
That's why I said "likely be symptoms very similar" rather than "absolutely WILL be symptoms IDENTICAL to."

If you had pain/angina from the original blockage you will LIKELY have a SIMILAR pain when the stent blocks again in the same place.

I think anyone who disagrees with that statement is on thin ice indeed.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-17-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I stated it may be likely to experience the same symptoms, but don't rely on any assumptions. Be aware shortness of breath and undue fatique, etc. can occur without angina for ischemia... whether or not there was a prior experience of angina or no angina. To NOT consider that possibility would be "skating on thin ice". The estimated asymptomatic population percentage with serious coronary is at about 29%.

...It seemed to me your post over relies on an assumption without connsidering another side and that can be misleading. That is and was my point, and my comment it is "not necessarily true" is for anyone to base an assumption to repeat an identical experience to a prior experience to those with restenosis is fallacious. It is not clear why some experience angina and another group with an identical occlusion do not experience angina!

I had silent ischemia and a stent implant due to an occlusion. Does that indicate I will not have angina with restenosis?!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I had silent ischemia and a stent implant due to an occlusion. Does that indicate I will not have angina with restenosis?!
Yes, I would say that the most likely situation with restenosis in your stent would be a return of your silent ischemia. Why would you expect a diffferent outcome?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Why would you expect a diffferent outcome?
Because there is not definitive answer why one can have silent ischemia and/or silent MI.

Usually after an episode and a stent implant there are new variables that may or may not have a physiological effect.

Until it is known WHY some patients have angina and another in the same classification does not it would be pure conjecture (statistically a probablity of only a 75% degree of confidence at most) to assume identical symptoms with a repeat occlusion considering changed variables. Additionally, there is an a change in the etiology (based on physical and chemical changes at the site) for an occlusion with a stent implant.

Silent ischemia appears to happen more often with a diabetic (I'm not) and the older population (a parameter that is not very precise). I'm a young-older person .

Last edited by started04; 05-18-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
(male)

plavixman HB User

I agree that pain and shortness of breath are associated with a MF and that includes SR. However with ST it is likely to be sudden and very painful.
I had all the warning and signs with my second MI and put it off for two days because I had an appointment with my Cardiologist. Bad decision. If you have abnormal shortness of breath and or pain, get to the hospital.
With my ST/MI I had no warning, it felt like a ton of bricks hit me.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm impressed. What is SR and MF? With ST are you referring to the slope of ST trace on the EKG?

To correct any misunderstanding, there can be a silent ischemic myocardioinfarction (MI) without experiencing angina. Does a person with silent MI (26% of MI patients) assume there will be angina, shortness of breath, etc. with restenosis? That is the point I am making, as well as does prior ischemia with angina preclude the possibility of silent MI?
To generalize based on one's own experience is an invalid assumption.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
(male)

plavixman HB User

ST is stent thromosis, MI is Mycardiol Infraction/Heart Attack
EF is ejaction fraction or the amout of blood brought in by the right chamber that is pumped out by the Left chamber. This number is normally 50-80%. Mine was 25% but has increased with proper meds, rest and time.
As for the silent, I don't know, however my first two MI I had no chest pains, it was all in my back and shoulders. And yes I had shortness of breath and other symptoms that should have told me what was happening, ie, seveal BM and reflux.

Last edited by plavixman; 05-23-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add to answer

Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

plavixman, Lenin,

We all know what an MI and EF measurement represents. My question is what is MF and SR stated in the other post?? How does MF and SR associate with shortness of breath?

An ST/MI is an upsloping ST trace on an EKC electrode VI associated with a heart attack.

Ejection fraction is the percent of blood pumped out of the left ventricle with each stroke. The LV blood is oxygenated with respiration from the lungs. The right chamber receives systematic blood and "pumped" to the lungs where there is an exchange of CO2 for O.

What does anatomy 101 have to with do with whether there is angina with restenosis? I don't get the relationship!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
(male)

plavixman HB User

MF was a typo, I meant MI, SR is Stent Restenosis.

Closed Thread