It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Smile Pounding heart beat - What could this be?

Hi guys. After having a headache for about two weeks, dizziness and pounding heart rate - I finally went to the ER last night. All test were normal except the blood pressure test they do when lying down, then sitting up and then they have you stand up. My heart beat went up 40 beats after I stood. The doctor said she didn't know why - said it could have been stress or just because I don't feel good.

The pounding heart beat happens alot. Some morning I will wake up with the pounding heart beat just lying in bed. Other times it gets worse when I stand.

Several years back I had a echogram, ultrasound, stress test and 7 day heart monitor. They found nothing but "normal skips in my beat here and there."

I'm a 22 and a wife and mom of three. I am pretty "high stress" but I'm just really freaked out. I have no health insurance but I'm going to try to call around and talk to a cardio doc that might give me some opinions or know a doc who charges by your wages.

Thanks all! Any info you have is great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Pounding heart beat - What could this be?

Is your heart rate normal? If so, the pounding is probably not indicative of anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks Timber. It always has been before. Just lately it goes really fast and pounding when I stand up and sometimes just lying down. The docotor thought I also had a sinus infection - can an infection cause these sympotms too?

Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Actually (and surprisingly), dehydration can cause these symptoms, too- even with no heart problems. This is especially true with the standing/sitting BP test. Are you drinking enough water? Try drinking enough (like two to three liters a day) regularly, and your symptoms might improve.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

The Docotor had gave me some iv fluids and then when they retested it had gotten better. You may be on to something there. I don't drink as much as I should. I stay so busy with our three little ones that I just neglect myself sometimes I guess!

Thanks for the help! I'm going to check this out.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Staying super hydrated helps me with my heartbeat sensations a lot as well, so I definitely agree you should try that. I've been posting on the heart board for many years and have seen many people report that staying hydrated helps them so it seems not uncommon.

Any stimulant (sugar, caffeine, cold medicine/ephedrine) also can affect the heartbeat.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Thanks guys. =) This is very helpful. My headaches are gone pretty much now - I still have the heart pounding some - but now I am so sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open and I've slept alot this week. Can an antibiotic make you this sleepy?

Thanks for all your help!

Closed Thread