It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
(female)

laughitoff HB User
Exclamation What does this chest pain mean?

I am a healthy 18 year old female. I am at a healthy weight, have never had high blood pressure or anything. Sometimes I experience chest pain on the left side. It feels kind of like a squeezing or a spasm. It isn't in my pectorals, but feels like it's coming from inside my ribcage. The pain only lasts for 30 seconds at a time, but can occur up to several times a day. I can't pick out a pattern for when the pain occurs, but it tends to occur in bouts. I will go for months without experiencing it, then will have a period of days or even weeks where it will occur daily. What does this pain mean? It makes me nervous every time I experience a bout, but I always just hope that it will go away. The only thing that I could think of that could have contributed to this is that I was diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia 5 years ago...however, I am 5' 5" and have never gone below 120 pounds at this height. And my last significant relapse occurred over a year ago. It is scary to me, and I'm hoping that it is not a heart problem? I fear that I either weakened my heart by taking so many pills (ephedrine) years ago or that I have some other kind of health issue?

What is this?

And more importantly, what do I do?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

laughitoff HB User
Re: What does this chest pain mean?

Actually, I guess that I do notice that the pain occurs more frequently when I am hungry, or have been eating less food. Not starving, just hungry. It usually happens when I'm laying down or doing something rather relaxed.
Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

It could be possible that you are having heartburn. When you lay down the acid easily gets up into the chest area. I would call your doctor and get a check up. Could you also explain the way the pain feels as best as you can so I can get a little bit better of an idea of it?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
(female)

laughitoff HB User

It's definitely not heart burn. I know what that feels like, and this is a totally different feeling. It's only on the left side, and its kind of a sharp pain. Directly deep to my left breast. I have no idea what angina is like, but could that be what this is? Thats the closest description I've found. I feel like there's a correlation between my relaxed breathing rate (which is VERY slow at rest) and the pain. When I put my left arm up over my head too, it seems to happen more often. It feels like a seizing up right inside my ribcage. There's no pain in my left arm, or in my neck or anything, just in my chest and into my breast. It is not tender to the touch at all though. It feels like a charlie horse inside my chest. Only sharp and achy. It kind of steals my breath away for a second. Again, the pain is only on the left side. But if this is a heart problem, why is it happening to me at 18???

Last edited by laughitoff; 05-22-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Do you do any heavy lifting or any movements with your left arm at alot. It could be possible that it's a muscle spazum. I would definitely go get it checked out though. It could be a form of angina, I believe there are 3 different types.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
(female)

laughitoff HB User

No heavy lifting at all. And, I'm a righty. This pain just comes and goes. I've never bothered to ask the doctor about it...I feel like I wouldn't be able to describe it accurately enough? I've just experienced many little "spasms" today in particular, which is freaking me out.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Well remember to stay relaxed that way you don't end up having a panic attack. I have them and boy to they suck lol. Make sure you call up the doctors office and get yourself in for a visit. Just try your best to explain your problem and they will help you out . I wish you good luck. DO you get panic attacks?? Maybe this could be that.

Last edited by TANKG!RL; 05-22-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Closed Thread