It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Yet ANOTHER question about whether chest pain is heart-related

I know that a lot of people have posted questions regarding whether certain chest pain/discomfort is connected to heart issues or is from acid reflx, digestive issues, etc. And the answers always are: (1) if you have no chest pain exerting yourself, it is likely not heart-related, (2) if you take an antacid and feel better, it is likely acid reflux, digestive-related, and (3) if breathing or twisting your body exacerbates the pain, then it is likely muscular-skeletal.

Well, my pain is not really pain. It is more of an achy discomfort that I feel on the left side more in the morning that at other times of the day. I don't feel much better when I take an antacid or a PPI and the pain is not worse when I twist my body around. I can run for a couple miles or so without any discomfort. However, I see my neck veins pulsing throughout the day and have other seemingly heart-related symptoms (deep, loud breathing at night, 15 pound weight gain over the past year with no change in diet and continuous exercise regime, etc.).

Which leads me to my question: For those with angina and other heart-related pains (i.e. related to cardiomyopathy, etc.), what does the pain feel like? Is it achy and constant? Or is more like a sharp, stabbing pain?

I generally feel an achy feeling all the time (worse in the morning) and do feel some discomfort right next to my left shoulder blade throughout the day. Does this seem heart-related? Sorry if this is still vague; I tried to be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
(male)

plavixman HB User
Re: Yet ANOTHER question about whether chest pain is heart-related

Roscoe, I've had three heart attacks, the first two I never had pains in my heart or Chest, It was all in my back and shoulders. I did have severe reflux, but I had that without the MI. I was sweatie and Had several bowel movements in a short peorid of time.
My third was a Stent Thrombosis and I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. The pain was almost unbearable. I also had major damage to my heart and had an ejaction fraction of 25% when It was all over.
It never hurts to get it checked out, a simple blood test at the ER and if your enzymes are elevated, you'll know right away.
Good Luck

Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Plavix i have a question for you.............if all you suffered from was back/shoulder pain, sweating and several bowel movements what made you think it was your heart to where you thought you needed to go to the hospital or doctor? I just ask cause i worry all the time about my heart and not knowing if its my imagination, acid reflux or truely my heart.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
(male)

plavixman HB User

The pain was intense and constant and never in my heart or chest area. The first time I was in San Juan and flew to Atlanta home before I went to the hospital, about 14 hours later. I knew something was wrong, I hadn't slept all night, had taken all the tylenol I had, about 8 or 9 and it would not ease up.
Not until I got to the hospital and started getting checked out did I know what was happening. Within 30 minutes, the ER Doctor knew my enzymes were elevated and that I was having a Heart Attack/MI.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

I am glad to see that you made it through, Plavix. When you say intense, was it shooting pain, throbbing or achy? Also, do you still have pain after the MI, and, if so, what does that feel like? Thanks again.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
(male)

plavixman HB User

Throbbing and achy. Almost like a pulled muscle.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
(female)

ryrich HB User

I have chest, neck squeezing and pain so bad I can not move, I have Nitroquick Rx. only because I have had an angiogram prior. The last time was two days ago, and after 2 pills under the tongue, it eased up. I know it is stupid not to go to the doctor, but have had soooooo many tests for lots of other serious things, with no results, and still have the same problems, I am shy to go for this, can this happen so many times and not be a heart attack. I keep saying it is just anginia. How stupid am I??

Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Put me down for "BURNING PRESSURE" that is localized to the center chest if not too severe and radiating outwards through the shoulders and neck if it is.
Mine never throbbed nor was there even a sharp pain associated with it.

Most like the worst heartburn on Earth. It is the kind of pain that makes you want to roll up around it.

Ryrich,

That sounds very much like classic angina pain, especially since it responds so well to nitrates. Does it come on with extreme exertion?

What did the angiogram reveal? Presumably something because a doctor prescribed nitrates?

Quote:
can this happen so many times and not be a heart attack
People CAN go a long time with angina without intervening. After all it isn't a heart attack but it IS a risk factor for one.
I think I went close to 10 years with stable angina before adding Lipitor and then 6 more years before getting an angioplasty.

I think that it is important to keep your LDL very low, your HDL as high as possible and take daily aspirin. You might find that a beta-blocker helps keep the pain in line especially if you have hypertension. Cardio Exercise to the limit of your painless ability will incrrease the number of collateral vessels in your heart and you might need these down the road.

Can I presume you had a nuclear stress test and it shopwed nothing irregular?

Quote:
I keep saying it is just angina. How stupid am I??
Not stupid at all; I think you called it spot on. Although I think the word "just" might be wisely dropped!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-29-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Closed Thread