It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User
Never Too Young for Heart Problems!!!!

I just wanted to post...maybe for my own piece of mind. I will not go into a long story, but I want everyone to know, especially women, that you are never to young for heart disease!!!!! For the past 7 years I was told I was to young have anything wrong with my heart. I am 38 years old....with my pains starting at 32. 2 days before my stent was put in my LAD (3 weeks ago), a cardiologist told me that statisically I was to young to have heart problems. He sent me off with upped dose of bloodpressure medicine. That same Dr. 2 days later had to do my angio due to a failed stress test that I was assured I would pass and scheduled by my family Dr (because the cardio would not do).I have had chest pain...and if I hadn't kept going back to the Dr. they would have eventually let me die. If a Doctor tells you, that you are too young...leave and find another one until you can get someone who actually will listen to you. My pains were A-typical chest pains. Also a word to the wise. When I would have my chest pains...I would burp constantly with no relief. I knew my chest pain was not GERD or Indigestion, but because of the burping I couldn't get anyone to take me seriously. You know your bodies..and when something is wrong...don't stop until you get the correct diagnosis!!!!! I've seen 3 Cardiologist, 3 Dr., and 1 Gastrlogist. My diagnosis were ulcer, Gerd, Esophugus spasms, and last one was gall bladder disease. I was told that if I had my gall bladder removed my pains would all stop. I refused to have gall bladder surgury until they checked my heart again...and thank God I did. Good luck Ladies and remember YOU have to take your life into your hands!!!!

Letreze

The Following User Says Thank You to jaguar63122 For This Useful Post:
txlady7758 (03-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
(female)

BostonDawn HB User
Re: Never Too Young for Heart Problems!!!!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Its dismaying to think this attitude toward women still exists. There is no excuse for it, not in this day and age. Young women have heart disease. Young women have heart attacks and yound women die from them.

How are you feeling now? Have your symptoms eased? How about your peace of mind?

Thanks,
Dawn

Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User

Jaguar I just have a few questions for you in regards to your post.

My question is how many tests did you have before they made your diagnosis? I've been to 3 cardiologists, 1 of them won't run any tests on me because of my age (28), he says I am "too young" to have problems. I have been battling chest pains for about 3 years now, and lately I have been having extreme pressure in my chest that comes and goes. Sometimes the pain even goes into my left arm and neck with dizziness. I will also sometimes get stomach pains that will cause me to have diarrhea (sorry if TMI). My PCP is chalking all of this to anxiety since I have had numerous tests on my heart in the past 8 months. I didn't know that anxiety can actually give you symptoms of a heart attack (e.g. arm and neck pain with chest pain) but my PCP says yes.

The tests I have had are:

4 EKG's
3 chest x-rays
2 echocardigrams (EF 65&#37
2 CT scans of the chest (w/ contrast)
1 CT scan of the abdomen (w/ contrast)
24 hour holter monitor
stress test (w/o contrast)
Blood pressure is always normal: Around 118/78
SO MUCH BLOODWORK....I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR ANYMORE!!!

All the tests have shown normal results. I suffer from PVC's and slight MVP but that is it. Do you think with this work-up of my heart it is safe to say that I can rule out my heart? Do you think a gastro would work for me? I'm glad to see that you are doing good after everything you went through. Thanks in advance and good luck to you!

Shell

Last edited by TWA1022; 05-30-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User

Your right you are NEVER to young for heart problems. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy when I was 28.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I am 35 and have been to 4 different cardio's and 2 different GP's. I have had a calcium scoring test, nuclear stress test, many EKG's, chest xrays, bloodwork, Echo's and all show i have slight MVP and i do suffer from palpatations usually alot before my monthly cycle. I worry everyday that i have heart disease and they are missing it. All i get told is its anxiety and not to worry. My one cardio did agree to do a angio on me but im to scared to have it done. Im worried if i go through with it something might go wrong with the test and there was nothing even wrong with my heart. I suffer from different symptoms everyday.........chest pain, dizziness, left arm/elbow pain, jaw pain, fatigue. I think alot of it might be all the stress has actually caused some gastric problems. I worry non-stop. I do take ativan as needed for when i start to have alot of symptoms and then i freak out and think ok this is the time its really gonna be a heart attack. I have been suffering like this 24/7 for about 15 months. I made several trips to the ER and all i hear is your to young for a heart attack and all your test show your heart is fine. I feel like its just useless to tell anyone anymore about the pains cause they all seem to not really care.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

laura3377 HB User

I am a 34 year old female in the same boat. Confused32 - I know we have responded to some of each other's posts. I swear we could be twins - I have your same symptoms. I have had several EKG's, 3 Stress Echos, Nuclear Stress Test and CT Scan of chest. All have been negative as well as my blood work. I have a very low hs-CRP, good cholesterol, normal blood pressure, etc. I have no known risk factors but I am adopted so family history is a big question. I am so sick of living with these symptoms and no one being able to tell me why. I get the normal answer they give females - your anxious...blah blah blah. Of course, I'm anxious I'm having chest, left arm pain and shortness of breath and all I read and hear is heart disease is the number one killer of women or stories of people who had no idea they were having a heart attack (vague symptoms)???? How the heck am I supposed to know when to take my symptoms seriously??? Sorry to rant but it is confusing and scary. Stress tests are accurate - stress tests aren't that accurate...ugh - I don't know what to believe! My cardio is now willing to give me the angio but I have my reservations about it because of the risks but honestly if it would give me peace of my mind and put the heart issue to rest I would feel a lot better. He has made suggestions about calcium score but I do not feel this test would satisfy me as I have read it is most useful in non-symptomatic persons. He also mentioned a CT Angiogram. I am going to be seeing him soon to discuss my options and come to an agreement as to what the next step is.

Jaguar63122 - I'm glad that you finally got someone to take you seriously before something happened. I hope you are feeling better now.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Laura- i thought the calcium scoring test would put my mind at ease.......it didnt!!! I got a 0 which is perfect but then you hear once again how these test are not any good for showing heart disease. I have heard about the CT angio, i am going to check into that. You got it right when you said how can we not be anxious over these symptoms that point right at heart disease and you hear all the time about how the symptoms are vague. I just never know anymore when its nothing or when i should worry. I keep trying to reassure myself that if it was a heart issue that odds are i would have had a heart attack by now, or the symptoms would be getting worse. With mine they come and go.......like right now im dealing with the arm and jaw issue again. I keep feeling nauseated and having hot flashes, so put all those together and BAM!!!! im worried its my heart attack. Im so sick of dealing with this. And yes Jaguar------thank you for posting and letting people know they should worry and not just take what their doctors say to be right all the time, thats why i keep going back and telling them i dont think things are right.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

jaguar63122 HB User

Everyone....my story is a little different... I had chest pains only once or so a month. It would come on for about 5 to 10 minutes and then go away until the next month or so. It was never brought on by exertion. And I could never get to the Hospital while I was having the pain because it would be gone by the time I got there. I haven't been told, but I think I was having spasms at the sight of where I had a blockage building. I passed all my stress test except this last thallium stress test. I wore holters over and over again (I also have PVC and PAC's). The EKG isn't worth anything...I had 3 ekg's the week before by stent procedure that all showed fine. I had the Chest CT scan and several Ecocardiograms...all passed. To me....I had typical Angina (atleast from what I read) burning pain center of chest that would travel up into my neck and down both arms. best way for me to describe pain is it felt like I swallowed an ice cube. I didn't have shortness of breath or diziness. I would sit down and do alot of burping..then 10 minutes later I was up and running getting ready for work. Like I said I never had pain while exercising or under stress. Just every once in a while in the mornings. My pain was nothing like Indigestion and very distinct....I guess that is why I kept going back year after year. I do have risk factors...unlike most of you. I did have high bloodpressure, and was a lioght smoker. Good luck to everyone....Follow your Gut is my best advice.

Letreze

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

TWA1022 HB User

Laura and Confused,

We all seem to be in the same boat! Numerous tests on the heart but yet NO ONE can tell us what is wrong with us. ANXIETY, ANXIETY, ANXIETY! I hate that word with a passion. I just want to feel normal again....I don't understand how one day I'm feeling great to now I have to deal with this day in and day out! Yesterday was a great day....no chest pains, dizziness or anything (and I had a stressful day!). I woke up this morning not feeling "right" and of course BAM! Chest pressure that is traveling into my left arm. When I feel it in my arm it is more in my bicep than anywhere else. I don't get the pain all the way down with the tingles.

Another question for the 2 of you....when you hear someone you know get diagnosed with a medical condition do you automatically assume you have it too? A girl I work with (she's 31) was diagnosed over the weekend with having a stroke.....now I am so worried it can happen to me. Do you guys experience this? I feel like I am going crazy!!!

Shell

Old 06-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

TWA----- Yes i definatly can relate to how you feel. But its usually only if it has something to deal with the heart. I can hear about cancer but never worry about it but let it be a heart attack, blood clot or stroke then i automatically start feeling symptoms. My last week has been horrible, i went out Saturday nite and drank ALOT, i know a big NO NO!!! I have not felt right since. Chest pains, left arm pain, dizziness, nausea.........its been hell. I did start my period this morning so i think alot of that was due to that, or atleast thats what i tell myself to get through the day to try not to worry to much about my heart. Im sick of living like this!!!!!! I try to figure out what causes the symptoms i get, i think that sugar causes me to have the chest pains. I have noticed alot of gas and stomache rumbling lately so i blame that also. I want SOOOOOO bad to go ahead with the cardic cath but im so scared, i just want some damn piece of mind. I was watching the show House the other nite and the girl had a heart issue and it sent me right into panic, its sad i cant even watch TV without freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Sheesh confused you're still have these symptoms...I am still having the left arm,neck,jaw pains off and on.So yeah ,eventhough I am not overly worrying like before,I still am some.I also have this other issue ive been dealing with off and on for a while now alot of times after I eat till im full I get extremly tired for a few hours so yeah now its another worry lol.The "anxiety/stress" stuff is always thrown around easily for me too even my own husband is saying "Stress." lol ugh I don't know im sick of it too.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Yep unfortuantly still dealing with all this stuff I have some good days and then alot of bad days, i can say it is not as bad of a worry as it was a year ago, i have settled down alot and have not been to the ER since this all started over a year ago. I went to one of my cardio's a few weeks ago and he said he didnt need to see me again that im fine. I go see my other one in a few days so i will see what he thinks about all the symptoms still being here and maybe ask for another nuclear stress test and if that comes out good again maybe i can relax...........one can hope anyway!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

Well confused I really hope all goes good for you.Let me ask you this have you ever had any numbness in limbs or facial? I get slight numbness in my face off and on.Also,I will feel pretty out of it sometimes.I just dont know anymore you get so sick of doctors offices and the ER and to leave not knowing any more then before.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Thanks, i hope i can find out something tommrow from this doctors visit. Im not holding my breath though. I dont think ive ever had numbness in my face but i know with my left arm it will sometimes feel numb and like pins and needles are in it when it starts to bother me. Im to the point where i just tell myself to stop worrying and i guess if its my heart then i will have a heart attack and deal with it then and till then to just let it go, i literally sit and tell myself " Shut up Jill if your gonna die then your gonna die" right now im not really living anyway, not like this!!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
(female)

laura3377 HB User

I agree with you about the not living thing. I feel the same way. To be in fear is no way to live. It is just hard to not be in fear when you have these symptoms.

Closed Thread