It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(female)

Fiona84 HB User
Ejection Fraction

Last summer I went to the ER feeling light headed with a wierd heartbeat (alot of palpitations). After 3 hours, and a lot of tests, they found nothing wrong with me. Only 3 PVCs showed up on my EKG, they said that was nothing, and to go on my way and get an Echo done in the next week.

Welll, I got an echo done and talked to the cardiologist for about 3 minutes and he said everything was normal. I never got a copy of the report.

I haven't thought too much about my echo since, but I went back to the office just recently and got a copy because I was feeling anxious. I said to the woman that considering what happened I wish I would have spoken to a doctor more about what happened.

She got me my copy, looked it over, said it was "super normal" so thats why they didn't bother to have me talk longer with a doctor.

Well, my ejection fraction was between 55-60%. I am 23 years old. From what I have read that seems kind of low. Should I be worried or is there anything I can do to make it higher?

ETA: That is the only thing on the report that caught my eye, the rest seemed good.

Thanks!

Last edited by Fiona84; 06-01-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

acp44 HB User
Re: Ejection Fraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona84 View Post
Last summer I went to the ER feeling light headed with a wierd heartbeat (alot of palpitations). After 3 hours, and a lot of tests, they found nothing wrong with me. Only 3 PVCs showed up on my EKG, they said that was nothing, and to go on my way and get an Echo done in the next week.

Welll, I got an echo done and talked to the cardiologist for about 3 minutes and he said everything was normal. I never got a copy of the report.

I haven't thought too much about my echo since, but I went back to the office just recently and got a copy because I was feeling anxious. I said to the woman that considering what happened I wish I would have spoken to a doctor more about what happened.

She got me my copy, looked it over, said it was "super normal" so thats why they didn't bother to have me talk longer with a doctor.

Well, my ejection fraction was between 55-60%. I am 23 years old. From what I have read that seems kind of low. Should I be worried or is there anything I can do to make it higher?

ETA: That is the only thing on the report that caught my eye, the rest seemed good.

Thanks!

I don;t think you have to worry. A "normal" ejection fraction as I understand is anything over 50.

acp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi Fiona,

To give some perspective there is a continuing endogenous variance to the EF, heartbeat, and blood pressure to maintain a balance of blood flow between the left and right side of the heart as well as equalizing pressures. Normal EF is around 55 to 75% indicating the amount of blood out with each heart stroke.

Above 75% could indicate over compensation that usually is due to an oversized heart. Untreated the EF could/would drop to below 30% to the heart failure range.

A sustained measurement below 50% could indicate weak left ventricle contractions. If the EF drops below 30%, there could be, but not always, shortness of breath, edema, dry coughing, etc.

One can participate in an aerobic exercise to increase heart contractions and a higher EF.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
(female)

arvc HB User

Your EF is fine! The EF doesn't mean 55% of 100%. 55% is usually considered to be the same as normal. My EF went down to 27% about 5 years ago and is now up to 40%, due to heart disease that affects mostly my right side muscle, but my left side valves. I hope this makes you feel better! I wished mine was 55%!!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

I'm new here, but thought I'd post this: I was diagnosed with LVD, thyroid nodule, and CHF. I had retained a lot of fluid which was very uncharacteristic for me and I was having trouble catching a breath. In fact, it got so bad, I would hold the box fan up to my face to give me some air. I went to my gp, he sent me for a ct and echocardiogram, he saw the results, put me on lasix, coreg, and lisinopril, then I was immediately referred to a cardiologist on Aug. 1st. The cardiologist said I have an ef of 10-15% and that my heart failure was severe enough that I qualified for a defibrillator.
I didn't understand, I was healthy, ate right...what's going on? Then he said my heart was most likely hit with a virus or when I had dental work in May.

I had the angiogram done, and was told my arteries are like a 16 year old's.
I wore the halter and no arrhythmias were noted. Then he surprised me when he told me I don't have CHF. However, what I do have is bad enough! Non-Ischemic cardiomyopathy/ LVD. I'm hoping I improve and maybe when this thyroid thing gets worked out, even recover,as I am very scared and sad about all of this. Does anyone know how long before an ef improves? I am on really great meds. Thanks

Last edited by Refuge 51; 08-29-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Divation HB User

From what my Dr said, your ejection fraction is normal. Even great for your age. Mine is at 66% which he said is the heart of an athlete's. He said it's even a little hyperdynamic. I think your fine!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvc View Post
Your EF is fine! The EF doesn't mean 55% of 100%. 55% is usually considered to be the same as normal. My EF went down to 27% about 5 years ago and is now up to 40%, due to heart disease that affects mostly my right side muscle, but my left side valves. I hope this makes you feel better! I wished mine was 55%!!
Normal EF is around 55 to 75% as stated in my prior post. An EF below 30% with each left ventrical stroke is considered heart failure!...40% is weak contractions and at least causes other parts of the system to compensate when necessary and possibly overcompensate under certain circumstances causing a drop into the HF range.

You may be referring right ventricle failure causing a preload (filling phase of the left ventricle) non-compliance. With a deficit preload due to right side failure and untreated, will cause heart failure (left side) as there is insufficient blood pumped into circulation to meet the blood oxygen demand with each heartbeat.

You seem somewhat confused when you state EF is not 55% of 100%!? It means 55% of the volume (preload) of blood oxygen in the left ventricle chamber! Obviously, it is not 100% of the volume at any given time, when EF is greater than normal (higher than 75%) the system is over compensating and pressures and an overworked heart will pathologically enlarge the left chamber and eventually an enlarged left ventricle will weaken contractions resulting in an MI, heart failure, angina, arrhythmia, etc.

Several years ago with congested heart failure my EF according to one test to be below 29% and an angioplasty a day later was 13% measured at the time of a stent implant. Recently an echo recorded an EF at 60%.

Closed Thread