It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
UPDATE----Stress test came back bad and now scared to death!!!!

Well i went for my echo/stress test yesterday. I got my results today. The doctor said my echo looked great that my heart looked great, the EKG was good, my resting echo pictures were good but after the 10 minutes on the treadmill my next set of pictures showed insufficent blood flow to some part of my heart. I walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes my heart rate got up to 170 where they needed it to, i felt a little short of breath but then again i dont exercise on a regular basis. My blood pressure stayed good the whole time and so did my heart rate. I am now scheduled for a nuclear stress test on Monday. I had a nuclear stress test done about 14 months ago and it came back fine. My doctor said that if this nuclear test comes back showing the same as the echo/stress test then i have to have a cardiac cath done to see where my blockage is at. I have been telling these doctors for over a year now that there is something wrong with me, the symptoms just are not going away and its not all in my head. I am now scared to death. I am 35 i have 3 kids and im a single mom. I kept being told its nothing to worry about your young your heart is fine. I have had several EKG's, a nuclear stress test, the echo/stress test, calcium scan, blood work, echos and they all showed my heart to be fine but apparently the test were wrong or maybe this stress test is wrong. My thyroid checked out to be fine. My cholesterol went from 240 to 223. I just pray that the test monday rules out a blockage and that this test yesterday is wrong. Does anyone know the percentage rate of an echo/stress showing insufficent blood flow when there is no blockage???

Last edited by confused32; 06-13-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added more information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Re: UPDATE----Stress test came back bad and now scared to death!!!!

I don't know the percentage but I have read several studies that stress echos are one of the most accurate tests for women but of course, not 100%. I know that may not be good news for you but honestly, you are in a way lucky that they may have found the problem. I have been experiencing symptoms same as you for quite a while now and still can't get any answers. I was supposed to see my cardio again last week but had to reschedule for next week.

I know it is scary - I would feel the same but as I said if they figure out that there is a problem at least it can be treated and you will not be walking around with an undiagnosed problem.

Please keep us posted and I hope everything goes well with your nuclear test.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

confused,

A stress/echo is NOT equipped to determine blood flow to sections of the heart so don;t let that result worry you.

They are now doing the PROPER test to make that determination, the nuclear stress test.

I wonder even why they BOTHER running the old test anymore except maybe to generate some additional testing revenue for doctors who can"t afford a nuclear scanning rig??? THe old test is never definitive wither positively or negatively.

I predict that the nuclear test will show the results of your first test to be a fluke and that your heart is fine...nothing shabby about 10 minutes at 170 BPM.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Thank You Lenin, i was hoping you would reply with words of encouragment!!!!! I have not slept much all nite worrying about all of this. I just had a nuclear one done 14 months ago and wondered how this one shows something wrong when that one didnt and i have the same symptoms. The doctor kept asking me on the phone when giving me the results if i have chest pain while im exerting myself and i kept saying no. I never have pain while doing anything strenuous.I feel much better hearing from someone with knowledge of these test that its very possible that this test was a false positive. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Laura- thanks for the reply....your are right. If the test is right i am glad that i persisted and found the problem and now it can be delt with. With everyone telling me im just a hypocondriact is almost as bad as there really being a problem. Good Luck on your visit. Keep in touch.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
(female)

tammi8226 HB User

My blood pressure has been bouncing a bit...taking 10mg Norvasc, 12.5mg Hydrochlorothiazide, and 50mg Metropolol. My blood pressure's been around 130/90ish. My doctor said this is ok and she'll see me in eight weeks...leave the meds alone. But she has scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist and said I should have a stress test. Should I be worried about this? Is my blood pressure scary high? I'm a nervous person to begin with and I'm afraid of having a heart attack in the cardiologist's office!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

hi confused 32. i understand that you must be scared. fingers crossed that you get a good result on monday. what symptoms do you have? i am 38 and worried about my heart because heart stuff runs in my family, and tired of being told i'm a hypocondriach. i don't get pain but i'm very tired all the time.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I suffer from off and on chest pains, left arm pain, jaw pain, sob, fatigue, back pain. I have been dealing with this for over a year now. I do not just get this with physical activities, it can come on with just sitting down doing nothing.

Closed Thread