It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
(male)

jordanr HB User
Should I be worried? 15 years old :/

Hey, I am only 15, pretty active I think, pretty skinny and I would say I eat alright, probably could have a little less fast food but I am not crazy...

But I am worried about my heart... Some of the things I experience include irregular heart beat, it changes a bit... But thats nothing serious. Also I get occasional muscle twitches... The scary ones include pain, and its definetly coming from my heart... I burp and it helps a bit but not really, just time helps. Usually lasts for about 2 minutes but I get atleast on "outbreak" of pain a day. Its mild, but scary.

Also i get feelings, usually in my legs or in my side... It almost feels like something flowing threw my artery.. Usually its a quick just burst but occasionaly I can feel them in the same spot, over and over, at the same pace as my heart beat :/

The scariest thing though is this feeling I get... I get it rarely, maybe once or twice a month, but every time I am shocked...

Its almost like an adreneline rush, like when you go down the slope on a rollercoaster... And for some reason I feel like my heart has stopped.. My immediate reaction is to feel my heart and its usually fine and then I calm down... Perhaps I am getting a murmur or other sensation and the adreneline feeling is like shock from my body at the feeling? ALmost like my body was scared? And then I calm down when I see my heart is still fine?

I can only recall most of these symptons in the last maybe half year, or a year.. But I do recall ONE time a LONNGGG time ago (atleast 3-4 years, maybe more) sitting in the living room and getting this pain, I told my parents my heart hurt. My dad was worried but my mom shrugged it off... At that age I loved going to the doctor thinking there was something wrong when it was nothing, or putting an arm brace on for a small bruise and pretending I really messed it up... So she didnt think anything of it...

But it was similar to the pains I get now... So what should I do?

I havent talked to my parents about it, I am worried, i dont know I guess talking about it makes it seem more real then it is... and I am just nervous to confront them and yeah but I am really worried and surprised, considering how young I am and physically I am quit thin and the doctors dont see any problems (or express them) at regular checkups...

Last edited by jordanr; 06-29-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Should I be worried? 15 years old :/

Quote:
Its almost like an adreneline rush, like when you go down the slope on a rollercoaster... And for some reason I feel like my heart has stopped.. My immediate reaction is to feel my heart and its usually fine and then I calm down... Perhaps I am getting a murmur or other sensation and the adreneline feeling is like shock from my body at the feeling? ALmost like my body was scared? And then I calm down when I see my heart is still fine?
That's a pretty good description of a pre ventricular contraction or one of its sister condiditions, most commonly called "missed beats." And that "squirt of adrenaline" theory is precisely correct. The adrenals squirt adrenaline at the first sign the heart has "stopped." It is not at all uncommon and it feels like you've been threatened by a man with a knife or a mad dog with fangs bared.

Take a daily magnesium supplemt...cheap, and they can help a lot to keep heart rhythm stable..

Quote:
At that age I loved going to the doctor thinking there was something wrong when it was nothing, or putting an arm brace on for a small bruise and pretending I really messed it up.
There is a condition called "hypervigilance" that causes us to look too deeply into our bodies and every time something is perceived out of the ordinary, to dwell on it until it gains more and more importance. Try to ignore these feelings as best you can...some exercise as a diversion often helps.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
(male)

jordanr HB User

Thanks guys just reading this has calmed me down a good bit... although I kinda freaked out a bit friday night, was in the hospital for a skateboarding accident and was hooked up to one of those finger heart rate moniters and usually it was nice and even (uniform) around 60-75 bpm but the rate changed often, sometimes the bumps changed size and sometimes they were really small... I even noticed short flat lines (skipped beats?) that were kinda werid because I didnt feel the nervous sensation until I saw the flat lines...

but I did have on eposide, it started making noises and the lines were a little strange and the bpm went from like 64 to over 100... I felt my pulse and it felt pretty normal (I usually am a bit fast though, maybe mid 80's, after eating that is) but I was freaking out, so my dad got me to look away from the machine and I calmed down...

But I think I was only concious then because I was looking at the beats... I have also noticed I dont check my pulse anymore, I used to do it very often..

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
(male)

JohnCarter HB User

your heartbeat seems to be a little irregular, which is pretty common in young adolecents. As for the pain - it might originate from the joints between your ribs and ur breastbone. In that case it would worsen if you deeply inhale. Actually pains that are caused by the heart are pretty rare in teenagers, because most of them still have healthy coronary arteries.

Its ok for a teen to have a resting pulse around 90 and a rate around 170 after exercise. Also a few skipps per day are nothing to worry about. If you experience many of them, over a longer period of time, or if they start to hurt - u might want to ask your doctor for a 24h ECG (holter monitor) !

Overall advice: no smoking/drinking, healthy food (lots of vegetables/fruits,
less fat, exchange a few meat dishes with fish) and EXERCISE - best get a hobby where you actively play sports at least once - better twice a week.
E.g. join a soccer, basketball, baseball, football, hockey or swim team.

Btw. since you're skinny (as you mentioned) ... is your heartbeat visible ? And if so - where ?

John

Closed Thread