It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(male)

omni586 HB User
Chest Pains @ 20 yrs old

I've been having some sharp chest pains in the lower left area of my chest every so often, they usually only last for a few minutes and are gone. Sometimes the pain can spread to the middle of my chest and sometimes to the upper left side. I'm 20 years old, went to the hospital last night and had an EKG, blood work, chest xrays and the doc told me all the tests came out normal and that the pain is probably from costochondritis (inflammation of the tissues of the chest wall). Now, im also having occasional pain in the tip of my right arm, right where the joint and bone meets, at least once ive had a very sore spot in my back right on my shoulder blades, and very rarely my jaw gets a little sore. My BP was 86 when I was in triage and before I left it was down to 68, or so the little beepy heart monitor says. When I look up my symptoms all I can find is "go to the hospital immediately" well, I did and now im sitting at home with a 500mg dose of Lodine, what should I do? Also note: I'm 20 years old, overweight but not extremely obese, non-smoker, non-drinker, and no heart related issues in my family except in my uncle whos 50+ and has been smoking and drinking for 30 years.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
(male)

omni586 HB User
Re: Chest Pains @ 20 yrs old

Should also note ive noticed a sore, aching pain in my left forearm about halfway between my elbow and wrist. I looked up the Lodine I was prescribed and it says it can increase chances of having a heart-attack..although im only 20 years old should I still be worried about having a heart attack? Should I even take the lodine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

can't help with the med advice dunno what it is but i can tell you your never 2 young for heart failure i was 19 when i found out....was your ecg or ekg normal? does your heart have a regular beat? if you know that stuff then maybe i can help

Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

oh and i don't have a history of heart disease in my family either so that means nothin...not tryin to scare you just tellin you how it was for me

Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
(male)

omni586 HB User

ekg showed everything is normal, ive never had an ecg, basically I went to the ER last night because I worry a lot about things like this, they hooked me up to the EKG, took some blood, and gave me an xray, doc came in 20 mins later said everything is normal you have inflammed tissues under your ribs and gave me a prescription for 500mg tabs of Lodine

Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

dunno what an ekg is i know what an ecg is and an echo but no idea bout ekg and have never heard bout that med im from australia are you?
i know bout the heart meds but nothin bout liver or kidney...i do know that with the severe heart failure i have i get a lot of back pain swollen joints aches and pains nearly everywhere but my ecg is far from normal i have irregular heart beats so don't think i know sorry

Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

omni,

Lodine is an antiinflammatory drug used in conditions like costochondritis and osteoarthritis. Don't be afreaid to take it. If it doesn't work too well, try over the counter naproxyn (also sold as Naprosin or Alleve.)

It really DOES sound like a case of costo which can persist for weeks.
Any guesses on how you injured your chest wall...usually we can't remember becasue it's just a twist the wrong way.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-30-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
(male)

omni586 HB User

Probably at work, I work for Sherwin-Williams and we get a weekly stock truck in with about 5-6 pallets of 5 gallon buckets weighing in at 60-70 lbs each stacked 4 high and 3-4 pallets of 4 gallon cases.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
(male)

omni586 HB User

Forgot to mention, thanks a lot for the info, I guess you could say I'm a hypochondriac, I'm always thinking the absolute worse that could happen when I feel a little off. I was sure I was having heart related pain, with the pain in both arms and the sore jaw. I should also note that directly under my left nipple, about an inch, theres a sore spot about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, the pain comes mostly when I'm resting, and sometimes in my sleep. Although I did do some pushups last night just to see if it would affect me and it did hurt for a bit afterwards.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Aha,

The paint buckets strained a ligament in your chest.

An attack of costochondritis and hypochondria can be a fearsome combo indeed. A true hypochondriac perceives any pain above the KNEE as a heart attack.

Try some daily chest stretching to keep from injuring yourself next time a truckload of paint comes in.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-01-2007 at 04:41 AM.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
(male)

omni586 HB User

So if I really do have costo which I really hope I do (isn't that sad? better than a heart problem tho!) where were the pains in my arms and jaw coming from? What really freaked me out was I was laying in bed I felt a pulsing sensation in my left forearm, perhaps it was a muscle spasm? Or could it be connected with the fact that im on a computer about 3 hours a day at work and when I come home im using one for probably another 3-4 hours each night..I get a lot of pain in my thumbs and finger joints. Also the pain in my chest mostly comes when im sitting at the computer and sometimes when im laying down in bed, that usually means it's something other than my heart...right? Regardless ive been taking the Lodine since I went to the hospital Thursday night and my lower ribs are still fairly sore to touch, possibly because ive been poking at them constantly. What kind of side effects should I expect to come from the Lodine? My doc didn't tell me about any of them just to take them with food, but ive been feeling kinda sluggish and dizzy ever since ive been taking them. I've also noticed the pain has moved to my upper chest about an inch to the left of the exact center of my chest. Man that's a lot of rambling

Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
where were the pains in my arms and jaw coming from?
Nerves must pass from the spine through the chest and back to get down your arms. If these areas that the nerves pass through are injured the inflammation can send pain radiating down the arms. A severe case of costochondritis can cause pain that radiates all the way to the tip of the little finger.
The jaw pain CAN have the same explanation but that's a bit more of a reach.

IF your injury was to your upper back back/spinal area then pain will radiate all over the place.

Jaw pain is usually TMJ syndrome, a bad tooth or less likely, a heart attack or angina as you fear...but like I said, less likely (for a 20 year old especially.) When it's a heart attack or angina, it's usually an adjunct to the chest pain which usually originates from exertion and disappears after 5 minutes of rest.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
(male)

omni586 HB User

I believe I may have figured out where the jaw pain is coming from...I woke up this morning at about 1:00 am to my wife telling me to "stop that", when I asked her what she meant she said that I had been grinding my teeth all night and it was driving her nuts. Isn't grinding your teeth one of the signs of TMJ?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes its is most definitely a cause of TMJ.
You can buy one of those kits to mold an elastic mouthpiece for nightwear at any drugstore for about $25.
A dentist can make you one for 10 TIMES that much.

If you grind at night, one of thse devices is a good idea or your teeth won't last long.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #15
(male)

omni586 HB User

Never thought to mention this to the doc when I was at the hospital, but would heartburn cause stinging pain in the chest? I've been getting heartburn just about every night for the last week or so.

Also pretty sure I found out why my arms/legs/feet and hands are hurting. I got my wife to give me a massage tonight and in my mid back, about 2 inches below my shoulder blades, my back was incredibly sore. From what I understand the inflammation can affect the nerves in your back and cause the pain to spread elsewhere?

Last edited by omni586; 07-04-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Closed Thread