It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

texastom HB User
Question Short sharp stabbing chest pains

Hi
Can anyone give a bit of advice, I do have high blood pressure and take two types of blood pressure tablets ( Lacidipine and Bisoprolol fumarate ) with other tablets for other complaints, the thing is that for the past 6-8 weeks every now and again sometimes a few times a day I am getting short sharp stabbing chest pains on the left side of my chest, they don't last for very long maybe about a minute or two.
Some of you might think that i'm insane , but I hate going to the doctors and don't really want to , can anyone let me know if I am worrying about nothing or if they have had the same thing

ps By the way has anyone ever heard of anyone having a "glove shaped heart" I had a cardio test a few years ago and I am sure that the cardiologist said that I had one ( I am a little deaf ) I mentioned it to my gp but he did not really answer
Thanks texastom:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Short sharp stabbing chest pains

tom,

All I can say that USUALLY heart pain is not of the short, stabbing variety but rather crushing, cramping, and burning sort.
What you are feeling sounds much more like muscle or ligament involvement which is annoying but not dangerous.

Realize though, I am speaking in broad generalities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

texastom HB User

Hi Lenin
Thanks for your reply ,I just did'nt want to go to doctors if not nessasary I have had Aunts and Uncles who have died with heart attacks but they lived in another part of England and I never met them, so I did not really know what the symptoms were

Thanks Lenin

Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Short sharp stabbing chest pains

Hi,

I just wanted to tell you that I have been getting those pains for years, i call them zappers, they are like a lighning bolt and scare the heck out of you, they are so fast.

A few years ago I was getting one in my upper chest that seemed like it went from the left to the right shoulder area and back, it was happening every 5 minuets for hours on end. I went to the Er, the Dr. did the usual tests, ekg, bloodwork and montoring, but did say almost immediately it was not heart. they asked if I had a hiatal hernia or acid reflux. my Dr. says I have acid reflux

But I was also told the bottom line it was muscle and nerces. Guess reflux can affect the muscles also.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastom View Post
Hi
ps By the way has anyone ever heard of anyone having a "glove shaped heart" I had a cardio test a few years ago and I am sure that the cardiologist said that I had one ( I am a little deaf ) I mentioned it to my gp but he did not really answer
Thanks texastom:
Tex, it could mean shaped like a boxing glove. That would indicate to me there may be some enlargement of the ventricles (lower chambers). The ventricles' formation (normally) have a slightly downward slope tapering to the distal portion. If round it could be abnormal cavity deminsions with symmetrical enlargement of both ventricles...not necessarily a medical problem!?

Last edited by started04; 08-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

mgobluefan HB User

PA 235: I have had those too! Call them "chest zingers".

Here's my story: Was sitting at work when I got chest pain, clammyiness, felt like I was passing out. Chest pain came and went, was a combination of pressure and intense dull pain. Went to ER, and EKG had a "subtle" change from before (they had an EKG for me on file from before). If only the subtle change had occurred, they would not be concerned, but because of my symptoms, they decided to run a catherization. While still there in ER and before the test, a rerun of the EKG was improved. The catherization was all normal - no clogged arteries, no blockages. Whatever happened, it was not my heart. Doctors think it may have been an esopahgeal spasm or an arterial spasm, but do not know for sure.

Closed Thread