It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

lonelymum HB User
Positive Stress Test resulting ECG suggestive of myocardial ischemia

I am 48 and recently had a stress test done because of having chest pain and heavy chest for approx 10 days. The result was suggestive of myocardial ischemia, positive. 4 mins into the test I experienced sharp pain in my chest and felt woozy and shortly thereafter stopped the test. I have a strong family history of coronary heart disease. I do not smoke, my blood pressure is normal, do not have diabetes and do not have high cholesterol but do have a lot of personal stress in my life which at the time of the test I put the pains down to. I had been having nausea for approx 5 days but thought this to be another condition I have. I then developed pain between my shoulder blades and neck. As suggested by the doctor that did my stress test I went straight to my GP to get a referral to a cardiologist. My GP sent me straight to hospital where I was admitted for 3 days awaiting an angiogram. As the medical system here just does not happen I was discharged from hospital as I was seen as stable and to be seen as an outpatient being prescribed with Lipitor, Metroprolol and Aspirin to take. I have had an appt with a cardiologist whom has me on a waiting list (2-4 weeks) for an angiogram. It has been just over one week since my discharge and my chest pain has alleviated some with short bursts of pain now and then to dissipate but my pain between my shoulder blades and neck have increased and go into my shoulders and sometimes collarbone and aching in my left arm. Yesterday the pain in my shoulder blade (left side) was like someone had poked a red hot poker through it, this happened 3 times (with general pain all day) and I was rocked by pain in my collarbone a couple of times also leaving me light headed. It was quite scary. I would like to know if anyone else can confirm experiencing similar pains. I know from the other ladies in hospital (that had had heart attacks and all in their 70's and 80's) that they had experienced pain in their shoulder blades and necks but my GP and the cardiologist say it is just muscular pain and to take a tablet. It seems these symptoms are not looked at by the doctors but all I have read to date says they are typical symptoms of angina or heart attack. It is quite alarming that doctors just put them down to muscular aches and pains. Many thanks for any suggestions and good luck to everyone else out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: Positive Stress Test resulting ECG suggestive of myocardial ischemia

My cardio said like that too. All pains are related to muscular pain. Don't have to worry, is not heart attack. Although the echo showed infarction but they admitted that they made a mistake there.

Was your heart enzyme elevated? I meant the tropinin.

I'm taking Chinese Herbs when and while the chest pain occur. I believe it helps and it dilated all the arteries, dispensed the clots. My friend's mum had 3 blocked arteries and prepared for bypass. After she took the herbs, she went in for angiogram and showed all 3 arteries were opened wide up. No clots! Dr made a mistake or the herbs worked?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Well, I would not be so sure they are just muscle pain...since you had a positive stress test.

I felt fine except for angina symptoms; had a 99% blockage in a major coronary artery. Luckily, I was able to get an angiogram within 24 hours of failing my stress test, and had a stent placed.

I'd consider going back to the ER if I were you (and finding out WHY they are convinced it is muscle pain not angina/heart attack).

Yes, pain between your shoulder blades and nausea can be a sign of heart attack and women can have very different symptoms than men. And you are not "too young" to have a heart attack, especially with a family hx and a lot of stress...I know several women in late 40s/early 50s who have had one.

I also wonder what your troponin levels are/were?

Last edited by Connie122516; 07-09-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Connie, did they reverse the damages for you? Dr said if they can open up the blocked arteries within 24 hours then it is possible to reverse the damages. You're the one that I come across with and fixed within 24 hours. You're very lucky.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

lonelymum,

Their call is probably muscle pain and they are PROBABLY right...all you can do is wait it out until the angiogram to confirm the condition of your heart.
If it is of any solace, shoulder blade pain is not the USUAL type of pain from cardiac origins...but it can be.

Keep taking the daily aspirin, in fact until they do the angiogram make it an adult aspirin (325 mg.)

I think if you had shown confirmable heart symptoms during your 3 day stay, your angiogram would have been more immediate.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies. Troponin levels, I see nothing about this on my reports. Yes Lenin think you are right re the confirmable signs within my 3 day stint in hospital. All ECG tests confirmed normal whilst there. All I know is that I don't feel well. Any exertion makes me feel weak, I get tired easily and have had more chest pain of late. Yes, stress situation is not good. ECG's I would not rely upon 100% myself. My poor aunty died at 52 going to hospital one day complaining of chest pain. They did ECG, nothing came up and was sent home, she died of a coronary the next day. I am continuing medication as prescribed and awaiting an angiogram. Unfortunately I do not have private health insurance and the public system here as I mentioned does not work unless you arrive on the doorstep literally having a heart attack, although in saying this that does not always work either as a young man of 47 did the same and died within the ambulance outside the hospital because the ER was full. The night I spent in ER made me more annoyed than anything at the amount of people abusing the system coming in for minor complaints that could have been attended to by their GP's. Many thanks for your replies once again.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

"minor complaints"

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Thanks Pika. Am here for genuine concerns. Have extremely strong family history of heart disease (all family members), I know my own health to date and that of my family.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

It is documented and correctly reported that more women than men experience pain between the shoulder blades for a myocardiac infarction! Your doctor is uninformed or not telling the truth!!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
(female)

lonelymum HB User
Smile Re: Positive Stress Test resulting ECG suggestive of myocardial ischemia

Thank you Kenkeith. I believe you may be correct re the doctor's opinion about pain between the shoulder blades. Trouble here is that like I have said the system does not work and they are inundated. I know the pain I have experienced is nothing like I have ever had before. I am getting nowhere with the medical system to date apart from just rolling back into the ER of which a kind nurse rang me 2 days ago to check on me. They have said any more chest pain and straight back in. I have had chest pain but am not sure at which point and how bad it should be before going back. Was wondering what I am experiencing is actually heart chest pain at times (even though my stress test indicates positive). Lately the pain has been to the left and quite sharp. Remains for around a minute roughly and then eases. Yesterday really only happened once whilst walking around. The pain between my shoulder blades is constant but I get quite a lot of burning pain on the left side. I have had pain in my left arm but feels like this is muscular. By the way, the other person that said my complaints were minor. I just want to say whether one's complaints are minor or major isn't this just a forum to discuss and seek out information so that we all know where we stand? Minor complaints can apparently lead to major complaints I believe and didn't think minor was competing against major as if some sort of competition. If someone's minor complaints turn out to be nothing at the end of the day isn't that good? Thanks everyone.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
(male)

huckfinn HB User

You say they stopped the stress test after 4 minutes into it. Was this a nuclear imaged stress test? If so did you reach your target heart rate before you stopped, and were there any images made?

I don't know why I am asking all of these questions about a stress test. I do not believe they are very accurate in someone with beginning CAD (coronary artery disease) or even afterwards.

I agree with Kenkieth in that the area you feel pain is more common in women vs men, however I find your description of the "pain" not to conform with angina, or chest pain due to a less than adequate amount of blood flowing through the coronary arteries to the heart muscles.

Angina is most often described as a "dull, burning pain. It is often confused with heart burn or GERD. Many people have taken an antacid before having a heart attack, I have read. My grandfather passed away from a massive heart attack, and they found a roll of Rolaids clutched in his hands.

I have 5 stents and have had more than my share of angina. I could never describe it as a "sharp" pain.

It would be great if the docs would prescribe you some fast acting nitro, to see if that would relieve your pain, although nitro has been know to relieve angina. If your blood pressure is on the low side you should only take fast acting nitro under s/he's instructions.

If you think you are having a heart attack, take two adult aspirin and call 911. Hope all goes better for you

Old 07-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika;3089***
Connie, did they reverse the damages for you? Dr said if they can open up the blocked arteries within 24 hours then it is possible to reverse the damages. You're the one that I come across with and fixed within 24 hours. You're very lucky.
Yes, all the cardiologists and nurses were amazed and said the same thing "you're very lucky." I actually never had a heart attack, so there was no damage to be reversed. I recognized the symptoms as probably angina, ignored them for only about 9 days, and had a doctor who (although he said "you're too young for it to be your heart; it's probably just reflux") was willing to immediately order all the proper tests. And when I failed the nuclear stress test, they put me in an ambulance and took me to the hospital CCU immediately. (I'm blessed to live within 2 or 3 hours of a Mayo Clinic and get all my care there).

Last edited by Connie122516; 07-13-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
Smile Re: Positive Stress Test resulting ECG suggestive of myocardial ischemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelymum View Post
By the way, the other person that said my complaints were minor. I just want to say whether one's complaints are minor or major isn't this just a forum to discuss and seek out information so that we all know where we stand? Minor complaints can apparently lead to major complaints I believe and didn't think minor was competing against major as if some sort of competition. If someone's minor complaints turn out to be nothing at the end of the day isn't that good? Thanks everyone.
Lonelymum--I dont think Pika was saying you had "minor complaints" I think Pika was asking what you meant by "minor complaints" when you said the people in the ER were annoying you with them instead of going to their Primary.

As I read your posts I could identify with some of your feelings, I know EXACTLY what its like with the NOT knowing driving ya crazy--I swear thats the worst part for me. Even in the past when Ive gotten bad news, I just FELT a little better after finally KNOWING what was going on. The first time I realized that was the time I had my first blood clot, laying in the Intensive Care Unit after they finally found it was a clot and where it was (up in my neck). I mean I still felt lousy and scared--but I knew what was going on, and at least that way I didnt have all those questions racing in my mind about what I should/should not do. Its been the same over the years since so I empathize, and I even chuckled when I read: "I have had chest pain but am not sure at which point and how bad it should be before going back. Was wondering what I am experiencing is actually heart chest pain at times..." because IT WAS JUST LIKE I WOULD REACT, HEHE! So many other people have a kind of 'brush-it-off' attitude about those things, and I wish I was that way sometimes. Oh well we are who we are I guess.

I hope you find out what is going on, and when you do, post back to let us know if you think of it? I'll make sure to include "the girl from down under" in my prayer tonight. God Bless!

Last edited by Phlox; 07-16-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
(female)

lonelymum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlox View Post
Lonelymum--I dont think Pika was saying you had "minor complaints" I think Pika was asking what you meant by "minor complaints" when you said the people in the ER were annoying you with them instead of going to their Primary.

As I read your posts I could identify with some of your feelings, I know EXACTLY what its like with the NOT knowing driving ya crazy--I swear thats the worst part for me. Even in the past when Ive gotten bad news, I just FELT a little better after finally KNOWING what was going on. The first time I realized that was the time I had my first blood clot, laying in the Intensive Care Unit after they finally found it was a clot and where it was (up in my neck). I mean I still felt lousy and scared--but I knew what was going on, and at least that way I didnt have all those questions racing in my mind about what I should/should not do. Its been the same over the years since so I empathize, and I even chuckled when I read: "I have had chest pain but am not sure at which point and how bad it should be before going back. Was wondering what I am experiencing is actually heart chest pain at times..." because IT WAS JUST LIKE I WOULD REACT, HEHE! So many other people have a kind of 'brush-it-off' attitude about those things, and I wish I was that way sometimes. Oh well we are who we are I guess.

I hope you find out what is going on, and when you do, post back to let us know if you think of it? I'll make sure to include "the girl from down under" in my prayer tonight. God Bless!
Phlox. God I feel stupd!! Minor complaints, teenagers giving urine samples. Sitting on the bed laughing with their boyfriends. Kids with coughs and sniffles etc etc etc. I am not one to rush to the doctor for minor complaints let alone an ER. Maybe I am too judgemental???? Maybe I should be more like them and maybe get my angiogram sooner??? I am confused with my situation and it is getting me down. I cried the third night in hospital, nurse had to calm me down. Lady next to me cried all the next day, same situation just not knowing what was happening. It is frustrating. It would be better to just know what your situation is so one can get on with it. Thanks Phlox for your prayers for the silly lady downunder. It's nice to know there are some kind souls out there.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Sometimes major or minor will not put on the face. I take everyone is serious when they wanted to wait there for 4 hours to see a doctor. It means they concern.

I saw a young girl has an injured finger. It was breeding. She sat there longer than 3 hours. If me, I think I've collaped after 10 minutes! Everyone is different. I feel embrassed, some time I think it is a chest pain, heart attack? What do to if not? It is very possible if not a heart attack then it could be muscular pain or anxiety! I definately don't like to attend the ER. They give you a needle standby, poking here and there to suck the blood (Oh, set by set) If attended 10 times in the ER then I probably be anemia!

Phlox, you're right. I don't think the people put in the ER is a minor complaint. In our country, minor complaint will put in the General Clinic. It located just beside the ER.

Lonelymum, I cried several time in the hospital ward and corridor. I cried 2 days because they gave my new pacemaker to other lady. I cried at the corridor because I refused to go back to my bed. I cried because my baby in my stomach was going to fall out soon! That was the doc fault, she scared me! Am I very silly?

Closed Thread