It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User
Question for Lenin/Heart or Gerd

i have lurked here for awhile and have seen many helpful answers from Lenin so I hope I am not being to assertive in asking you a question point blank.

I am 41 and have had hereditary HBP since I was in my twenties. I take my meds faithfully but sometimes I get high readings, 145/95 range. Other than that I have MS/mild symptoms/ migraines. Non smoker/non drinker

Approximately 3 weeks ago I had a bout of nausea and vomiting lasting 4 hours or more, ER visit checked out fine, given antinausea meds. Since that time I have had near constant upper left sided chest pain followed by upper left sided back pain. Upper means close to the clavicle in front and middle to top of shoulder blade area in back. I have been burping alot but the pain gets pretty bad sometimes and I have had some rapid pulse spikes.

Had EKG, CHest XRAY, ENZYMES checked, all good. I worry about the heart because several cousins of mine died of aneurysm. THis is 3rd generation relatives not immediate family. Could the throwing up spell have brought on some kind of pressure that caused an aneurysm and would I feel it in my chest and back if so? THanks for any input from anyone who knows especially Lenin.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Question for Lenin/Heart or Gerd

Hi Irish,

Generally the best way to distinguish heart or Gerd is to take something like Zantac a coupe times a day. Take the therapeutic dose of 150 mg twice a day...this may be a total of 4 of the OTC variety. If it's GERD there should be rather dramatic relief.

What you have described sounds more like costochondritis which can EASILY be caused by a long bout of vomiting. It can also be injury to your esophagus from the retching. THe first one will be my "official" guess.

Usually GERD does not hurt QUITE so high as you describe.

Try taking some Alleve...if it helps a lot, then the pain is likely from your chest wall (costochondritis.)

Aneurism: I had a blood uncle die from a burst abdominal aortic aneurism and they told me they worry about only the DIRECT familial line (parent grandparent sibling). An aortic chest aneurism is typically painless until the point where it begins dissecting and then the pain is usually excruciating and death almost inevitable. I worried about it too and the first echogram I had, I told them to check my aorta...it was normal.

Best way to check to see what kind of shape your esophagus is in is to endoscope it if you have health insurance.

Did they ever uncover what was causing all that nausea and vomiiting?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-11-2007 at 04:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User
Re: Question for Lenin/Heart or Gerd

Thank you for responding so quickly!! THey merely thought I had a bug or something as for the vomiting. I got the results of my HIDA scan and it does not show gallbladder disease, EF being 50%. Last night I took some Pepcid before I went to bed and this am it is alot better. But in the past I have had the diagnosis of costochronditis. I guess if it were an aneuryism I would be dead by now..huh?? It has been something like 4 days since this pain has been steady and sharp. It is a very scary feeling to think or realize that your doctors might not know as much as you do, not to sound arrogant but truly they seem rather out of it. I live in a rural kentucky area and the nurse reading my HIDA scan results did not know what any of it meant...but I did. Scary.....

Closed Thread