It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
(male)

mbrice2329 HB User
Exclamation Abnormal EKG Help, Elevated T Wave

Hello everyone. I'll start with some basic Biogr. Info and go from there. I'm 21 years old, active, athletic, and have no major chronic ailments besides injuries acquired through rugby. However, I have unpredictable chest pains that have been occurring since I was around the age of puberty. When I say unpredictable, I mean that they don't occur regularly after any of the common catalysts such as spicy food, rigorous exercise, stress, anxiety, illness, etc. The chest pains are usually fairly brief in and of themselves, and last typically under 1 minute a piece. They don't occur everyday, or even every week, and there has been no perceivable pattern to their occurence. They usually occur on the left side of my chest and once in a while are so severe that I feel as though my breathing is hindered.
I would like to find some opinion as to whether these chest pains may be linked to an obvious abnormality in my EKG. I first noticed this abnormality after building a homebrew EKG in Physiology Lab (I'm in Pre-Med classes in college). Even the professor noted how my T wave dwarfed my QRS complex. To rule out a shotty lead or an oversight in construct, we tried it on several other builds and acheived the same result. I thought nothing major of it, since these were not professionally done. However, I recently had my tonsils out, and the EKG pre-op depicted the exact same pattern in my EKG. The nurses showed this to a few other nurses and doctors and commented on its abnormality but deemed me fit to undergo anaesthesia, so I figured it was nothing major. However, as time went on and I did more and more PubMed searches in boredom, I became increasingly concerned when I would suffer from a chest pain. I wondered if anybody on this forum has noticed anything similar in their own or the experience of others. I know I should probably make an appointment with the doctor, but in the meantime, I figured I'd ask people on this forum.
Any Help or Replies are Sincerely Appreciated,
Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Abnormal EKG Help, Elevated T Wave

I'm not of much use with EKG divinations but there seems to be a connection bewteen high T waves and hyperkalemia. Perhaps that snippet can be of use to you.

Closed Thread