It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

diane552 HB User
Please Help Recent Heart Trouble

less than 3 weeks ago i started having right arm pain, within a few minutes it started moving into my jaw. To get to the point i had three stents put in with no guarantes because the blockage in 2 artries were blocked 95 %. Anyway since i have come home I am exhausted, i can barely get up in the morning, and can do hardly nothing during the day. also the depression is getting pretty bad.
please somebody help with suggestions, thanks diane552

Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
(male)

Jay Ar HB User
Re: Please Help Recent Heart Trouble

Hello diane, firstly I am more of a mechanical person rather than medical, but I can tell you that I had a triple bypass in 2002 and have felt marvelous ever since. If I was you, I would be asking my Dr for a bypass, it takes a bit more to get over but the end result is like being an old car (auto) with a brand new engine. Varoom, Varoom.
good luck.....Jay Ar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane552 View Post
less than 3 weeks ago i started having right arm pain, within a few minutes it started moving into my jaw. To get to the point i had three stents put in with no guarantes because the blockage in 2 artries were blocked 95 %. Anyway since i have come home I am exhausted, i can barely get up in the morning, and can do hardly nothing during the day. also the depression is getting pretty bad.
please somebody help with suggestions, thanks diane552
Diane, what do you mean no guarantee because blockage is 95%? Was chest pain the reason for the implant? Did you have fatigue prior to the implant?

Contact your doctor because you should feel somewhat invigorated not exhausted. Fatigue, could indicate your heart is not providing sufficient blood/oxygen to your system if it is heart related.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

diane,
Something is wrong...see your cardiologist, and don't let him brush you off.

The way it is SUPPOSED to work is that they discover 2 blockages at 95% and they open it and you feel a lot better.

It sounds to me like they opened two vessels (or didn't ) but missed something important, proabaly what was causing your discomfort.

It is possible that your RIGHT arm/jaw pain was never related to your heart in the first place...cardiac pain is usually LEFT arm.

Did they ever do a nuclear stress test on you to determine blood flow to all areas of the heart? What were the results?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

Dilly70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
diane,
It is possible that your RIGHT arm/jaw pain was never related to your heart in the first place...cardiac pain is usually LEFT arm.
I just wanted to say that one can get jaw pain with heart trouble, and some people (diabetics for example) get no pain or warning at all.

I had a heart attack in March, and my pain was really strange. There was pain at the back of the neck, jaw pain, and a burning pain in the throat. As well a burning pain just below my right shoulder. And nothing else. I would not have gone to the emergency had I not taken by blood pressure which was out of sight.

Now, being a diabetic, I am lucky that I get some angina pain, although I am having less and less angina as the weeks go by. My angina pain is only a burning in the throat.

PS: I must say I always look forward to your answers on the heart problem topics.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Dilly,

Did you experience the pain you had with your heart attack just on that one occasion when you were having a heart attack or did you have those symptoms before the heart attack? I ask this because i have those same symptoms but mine come off and on all the time. I have the left sided jaw pain, i have alot of times of burning in my throat and shoulder/left arm pain. I have had every test done, some done twice within a year and a half and all show my heart to be fine. You say you now feel your angina pain as a burning in your throat, is it just on exertion? I have been told mine is anxiety and acid reflux. I try not to worry about it being a heart issue since all my test show everything is fine but its hard not to when you see post like this that fit you like a glove.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
(female)

Dilly70 HB User

Hi there. Good questions, as everyone's experience is so different.

As far as I know, they can tell if you have had a heart attack. Years ago I got up in the middle of the night with an elephant pressing on my chest, got up was distressed and ate two chocolate bars. didn't go to the hospital, who me?? Then several months later realized I had diabetes (my blood sugar was an average of 30 (In American terms this is 540), and the doctors said I should have been dead. Anyway, an ECG at that time showed I had had a heart attack.

This latest episode, Yes, for at least a month I had definite signs that my heart was not receiving enough oxygen. When I walked to the local coffee shop, about 2 short blocks, I would be out of breath, and had distinctive burning in the throat, and would have to stop for a few minutes. Also had a very "bad" headache at the back of my neck. Then one day, (March 13, 2007) it appears my heart was not getting any oxygen. In emergency, the enzyme test showed I was having a heart attack at that very time , and I was rushed into Intensive Care for overnight. They pumped me full of stuff of course, hooked me up to machines. I then stayed in the hospital for the next 7 days. My ECG also showed I had a heart attack.

They said it was a small heart attack, but a grave warning. In the hospital I had an ultrasound (echocardiogram) and everyone was surprised that there was no damage to the heart muscle. They wanted very much to give me an angiogram and a stent, but I refused, and went home with lots of medications.

My angina is stable angina, thank goodness, and comes only with exertion. For the first two months, in the evenings I could not move very far without getting angina, and I used nitro pills a lot.

Then for the last two months, I have been feeling very good, much better, and even work in the garden in the evenings. So very happy about that. I cannot run or anything like that, but I ride my exercise bycycle, and exercise in the deep water in the pool. I would walk on the street but I have a bad hip and cannot walk more than 5 or 6 blocks.

Two months after the attack I had nuclear scanning (here they call it the MBI stress test). They inject radioactive dye into the blood, stress your heart-- either you walk on a treadmill, or they use a drug, and then they take pictures of your heart with a gamma camera. This will show whether there is any blockage in the heart arteries.

My test showed I have some blockage in the lower left part of the heart. They still want to do an angiogram, and I am still refusing. The MBI test also showed that in many ways my heart is working quite good. However, another heart attack at this time might be fatal.

A long story, but it might help other members, as every experience is different.

It is great that they say your heart is in good shape. The MBI test would show this more clearly, and it is absolutely non invasive. That symptoms you are getting must be quite worrisome. Do you suppose you could twist arms to have an MBI test? I think that would prove quite interesting.

Have you had an echocardiogram (ultrasound)? This shows any damage to the heart muscle, and also how the valves are working.

Good luck, I hope you worry less, and maybe find some answers.

You mention acid reflux. Yes, that is interesting, at first when I had the burning pain in the throat, I thought it was heartburn. I have never had heartburn. Mine was not of course, and I sure hope yours is heartburn.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Dilly,

Quote:
They still want to do an angiogram, and I am still refusing. The MBI test also showed that in many ways my heart is working quite good. However, another heart attack at this time might be fatal.

A long story, but it might help other members, as every experience is different

Thanks so much for sharing! You are so right, everyone seems to have different symptoms which we often choose to ignore. It's difficult to know what to look for, as most MIs are not textbook cases with the classical symptoms that everyone's heard of.

Just out of curiosity, why are you refusing an angiogram? What are you going to do?

Flowergirl

Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
(female)

Dilly70 HB User

Hi Flowergirl.

At first I refused because I was still quite shocked and just wanted to go home and lick my wounds. Also I think I was hoping for a miracle.

An angiogram means they wanted to put in a stent if necessary. I did a lot of reading on stents, and discovered that in the last 12 months there have been many studies on the usefulness of stents-- one in Canada, one at the Mayo clinic, and some in various parts of the world. The conclusion the researchers came to was that implanting a stent did not give less pain, nor did it let the person live longer. They also concluded that it may be wiser to change one's life style, and use medications to thin the blood, etc.

Also, they stated the studies showed that in having a medicated stent, for at least a year later there was the danger of a blood clot forming on the stent and travelling to the brain. Thus, having a stent, I would have to take plavix for a long time (I was thus informed), and my father was a bleeder and so is my sister. Plavix can cause bleeding anywhere in the body (for example the brain.) So I was leery of that. As well, I had to stop taking plavix several weeks ago as it was giving me really painful bladder infections.

For the last 4 months I have been taking certain "health" supplements in hope that the plaque would dissolve, even though it appears that cardiologists state that nothing will dissolve this.

My plans start Sept 1, when I will begin having chelatiion therapy for the plaque. For those that don't know what this is, EDTA, an amino acid, is fed into the body through the veins, which I am told will clear the arteries of the plaque. One has to have treatments once a week, for about 30 weeks, and the insurance companies will not pay for it, and neither will the health care systems in the Canadian provinces. So at about $120.00 week, I will be eating kraft dinner for a long time. (I am retired and no longer working much).

Those are my plans. I am taking a risk, but I am 70 years old, and for one at that age, everything can be a risk.

Wouldn't it be nice if Chelation actually worked? They have been doing it since at least the 1940's.

I am feeling so much better since the heart attack, and I am very hopeful.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Dilly,

I wish you the best of luck with your choice of treatment. Thanks once again for sharing your experience. I hope you did not mind me asking. I think it's rare for patients to choose not to have the stenting done. Given your family's history of bleeding and your research, you have a valid reason to feel apprehensive about the procedure and the drug therapy that follows.

Good luck with your treatment.

Flowergirl

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
(male)

Jay Ar HB User

Dilly 70, My earlier reply, No 2 on this post would probably apply to you as well. Before the bypass I only had to walk 50 metres (yds) and I had incredible chest pains and was reaching for my angina sprey. Since the opp I can easily walk 2 or 3 kilometers (1 1/2 - 2 miles) to get my daily paper, so I think that the bypass procedure is the best by a country mile. Talk to others that have had a bypass, I think there is something like about 90,000 done in the USA each year. If that's not correct, somebody come up with the right figure.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Dilly,

I very much enjoyed reading your approach and admire your bravery in making YOUR analysis of the problem and finding YOUR methods in dealing with it. And I think your choices are completely logical and consider the state of the art in angioplasty/stent placement correctly.
Keep up the good work.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if Chelation actually worked? They have been doing it since at least the 1940's.
Alas, though I think it would be NICE if it did, I have looked long and hard at chelation therapy with EDTA over the years and I judge it a waste of money. I think the prime reason is that, although EDTA is a good chelator of heavy metals, whether it does anything to remove plaque, which is mostly plaque and scar tissue has not been shown over the MANY years that some practitioners have been using it. They have had ample time to show results...none have been forthcoming.

I think it must be judged by the very cruel word, quackery.

Perhaps the best evidence of its NOT working is that the insurance companies would be DELIGHTED to spend the probably $1500 on a course of chelation (remember they get everything at half price or better) rather than what they must pay for angioplasties, stents, bypasses, hospital stays, etc. THey'd DO it in an instant if it was demonstrated as effective.

Are you on tight blood lipid control?

Last edited by Lenin; 08-03-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #13
(female)

Dilly70 HB User

Thank you all for the good wishes and support.

Bypass may certainly be an option, I know many people who have had one or more and are doing fine. I don't think the cardiolologists would consider me a candidate for that right now. Our health care system would pay for it too.

Thank you Lenin, I am new here as you can see, and I do admire the knowledge you have and are so willing to share with others. You have stated a common held belief about chelation. I will indeed have it, and if I am still able to type, will report on the outcome perhaps 3 or 4 months from now. I have to research the lipid question as I do not know much about that, yet.

But I do want to say that from being a chair=bound person in April and May, I can now ride the exercise bike for one hour, or dog paddle and exercise in the water for an hour easily. So, Lenin, something good must be happening, don't you think?
I am referring to the idea that since I am not at this time having any stents, will life style changes and the supplements I am taking help to "fix" the blockages?

Good luck again to you, Flowergirl. I should start my own thread instead of butting into yours.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #14
(female)

Dilly70 HB User

Hi Lenin. Just a quick addendum:

Re Lipids. How silly of me. Yes, my lipids in the last 4 months have improved by almost 40% in all tests, and are all well within the target zones. However, was taking Lipitor and had to stop, as I couldn't stand on my leg (the one with the bad hip), so now have to consider something else. Lipitor appears to have affected my muscles.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dilly,

read some of the posts on the high cholesterol board, if you haven't already. Good cholesterol info there.

FG

Closed Thread