It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
(male)

subarusvx HB User
Sucking feeling / tightness in chest area

For about the last 3 or 4 years, I've had sensations in my chest come and go that resemble a sort of tightness/sucking feeling. It almost feels like when I breathe in, something is trying to force the air in the opposite direction. Also, I can often feel my heart pounding in my chest.

In the past, these sensations have lasted no more than an hour or so and get worse after eating. However, since starting a medication called Concerta for ADD, which I've been on for several months, the duration and frequency of these feelings have gotten worse. What really aggravates them is drinking alcohol. I don't get them while drinking, but only after the alcohol starts to wear off the next day.

In addition to this, I'll occasionally get what feels like muscle/nerve spasms in my chest that last for about 2 seconds. These spasm type feelings come and go and are much more profound than the sucking feelings I mentioned above. These spasm feelings have occurred since my teenage years (I'm now 27), but the frequency of these is very small. Perhaps once every 2 months.

I've suffered from high blood pressure related to chronic anxiety since my early teenaged years. About 6 or 7 years ago, my father had a seizure related to his sinus node not supplying a regular electrical current to his heart. He's fine now that he's got a pace maker, but wonder if I'm getting signs of the same thing.

I'm on 56 mg of Concerta for ADD (works really well), 5 mg of oral Minoxidil (a vasodilator) for hair loss and 25mg of Atenolol (beta blocker) for blood pressure, heart rate and shaking hands caused by the Concerta. I know Minoxidil can cause palpitations, but it doesn't seem to aggravate the symptoms in question.

The first time I had this sucking feeling in my chest was some 4 years ago when I was on no medications except for an ACE inhibitor. I freaked out and ran to the emergency room. The doctor simply laughed, did an EKG, said everything was fine and wrote me a script for Xanex for what he thought was a panic attack. Additionally, I've been to various doctors a couple of times and told them about my symptoms. These doctors thought nothing was wrong after listening to my heart with a stethoscope. The last doctor asked if my heart ever skips beats. Since I haven’t noticed this, I replied no.

I have a blood pressure cuff at home that I use to check my blood pressure and heart rate on a regular basis.

Since starting the beta blocker, the only thing I notice that's out of the ordinary is my pulse pressure (difference between the systolic and diastolic). Usually, I'll get readings in and around 125 / over 65 or so. I'm not sure if this strong pulse pressure is anything to worry about, but would be interested in finding out.

My resting pulse rate is generally normal and fluctuates anywhere between 55 and 100 beats per minute. I've noticed no correlation between my blood pressure readings, heart rate and the symptoms I'm describing.

If anyone knows what my symptoms might be and if I should be concerned over my blood pressure readings, I'd be greatly interested to get some advice.

Thank you.

Last edited by subarusvx; 08-08-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
(male)

subarusvx HB User
Re: Sucking feeling / tightness in chest area

Anyone know what this sucking feeling might be???

Is pulse pressure something to watch and be concerned over?

Last edited by subarusvx; 08-10-2007 at 07:33 AM.

Closed Thread