It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

Anxiety-stinks HB User
cardiologist appt. what to expect

Hello.I am going to the cardiologist later today and I am scared.Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect on my first visit.I have anxiety/chest pains.My doctor wants to rule out heart problems.Please help if you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

tomah HB User
Re: cardiologist appt. what to expect

He will probably take your medical history and ask about your symptoms. He may do blood work, and probably recommend an echocardiogram and perhaps a stress test. I hope you get some answers -- I know how much stress this can create.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety-stinks View Post
Hello.I am going to the cardiologist later today and I am scared.Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect on my first visit.I have anxiety/chest pains.My doctor wants to rule out heart problems.Please help if you can.
Hi,

The usual protocol after the preliminary stethoscope procedure (listen for any abnormal sounds as the blood flows through the heart...sensitive to valve issues). After an interview, then if necessary there will be an EKG to help identify any irregularities in heart size, heart muscle damage, or ischemia (lack of blood flow to the heart that can cause chest pain). May take some x-rays. May have to be scheduled for the tests and x-rays?

The EKG is non-invasive test. Electrodes are placed on you chest (no pain or discomfort). The test lasts about 30 minutes. If the EKG shows some abnormality, further tests may be scheduled such as ultra sound (echo) to get a visual view of your chamber size, heart wall motion, wall thickness, and blood flow through your valves.

If ischemia is suspected for your chest pain, then there will be a stress test. There is a dye like substance injected into blood stream, and with exertion such as treadmil, there will be images of the dye passing and moving into the vessels. Blockage will be obvious. Takes about an hour.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Anxiety,

Make sure you are pro-active at this session. Plan beforehand everything you have concerns about and make sure all your topics are addressed.
A list HELPS but doctors often get defensive and worried about time constraints when you pull out a list...so memorizing it is better.

Don't leave the office confused...if the doctor has to explain something better make sure he does so to your satisfactory understanding, because once you walk out it will be too late.

If he's one of those doctors who rambles on ablout all the things "we can do," make sure you pin him down to what we WILL do next and WHEN and WHY so you can leave the office with a clear course of action.

Good luck.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-16-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

Anxiety-stinks HB User

Thanks everyone.I went to my appointment yesterday.He did do an EKG and scheduled me for an echo and a treadmill stress test.I have very bad anxiety and he said this is mostly for my peace of mind.I can't help but worry myself sick that they will find something.I constantly worry I will have a heart attack.Hopefully all goes well.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety-stinks View Post
Thanks everyone.I went to my appointment yesterday.He did do an EKG and scheduled me for an echo and a treadmill stress test.I have very bad anxiety and he said this is mostly for my peace of mind.I can't help but worry myself sick that they will find something.I constantly worry I will have a heart attack.Hopefully all goes well.
You should get and retain copies of your medical records as you go forward.

Don't you get medicaion for your anxiety? There is no evidence you are vulnerable to a heart attack. You can worry yourself sick so address the anxiety issue.

Closed Thread