It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Question Blue finger nails

I understand that finger nails can turn blue if you have poor circulation, lung problems or heart problems, but is that just when your hands are cold? What does it mean when you have a blue tint to your nails if your hands are warm?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
(female)

BostonDawn HB User
Re: Blue finger nails

I dont have an answer for you but will be watching for any replies you get.

Just this past weekend I noticed my husbands fingers looked blue. A dusky blue, it was quite noticable.

He actually admitted that he could see it too (normally I would have recvd a "I have no idea what you're talking about" reply).

It is far from cold here right now so really all I can come up with is poor circulation. Further evidence of a blockage?? Probably, but not enough evidence to scare him...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira View Post
I understand that finger nails can turn blue if you have poor circulation, lung problems or heart problems, but is that just when your hands are cold? What does it mean when you have a blue tint to your nails if your hands are warm?

Before I was diagnosed with a depressed left ventricle, I noticed a dusky bluish, purple tinge to my nail beds. My hands and feet always seemed cold and dry too. Now my nailbeds and nails are pink, with a tiny bit of purple, My hands and feet are warm and soft again, but I'm on heart meds to improve heart function and oxygen is more freely available to my body. If I were you and this is about you...please ask for an echocardiogram.

Last edited by Refuge 51; 09-06-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thanks for the replies.

It is more like a purple tint actually, when my hands are warm. I've just noticed it over the past couple of weeks. But I've asked a few people to look at them and they can't see anything! The top half of the nails is pink, but the bottom half near the nail bed looks bluey-purpley. I'm sure they weren't like that before when my hands were warm.

I had a ECG (the thing where they stick those things on your body) last year and they said I have SVT. But I think it's kind of guess work, as I didn't have a scan or anything. Could SVT cause blue nails?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

It is more like a purple tint actually, when my hands are warm. I've just noticed it over the past couple of weeks. But I've asked a few people to look at them and they can't see anything! The top half of the nails is pink, but the bottom half near the nail bed looks bluey-purpley. I'm sure they weren't like that before when my hands were warm.

I had a ECG (the thing where they stick those things on your body) last year and they said I have SVT. But I think it's kind of guess work, as I didn't have a scan or anything. Could SVT cause blue nails?
An echocardiogram is the same as an ultrasound and it can see alot! As for SVT, well, if your heart is pumping really fast as in tachardia, sometimes blood will spill over because it can't keep up with the fast pumping of your heart, and you won't be getting the necessary blood oxygen throughout your body. Your lungs will fill with fluid or your abdomen...have you had any weight gain or swelling anywhere? Can you breathe okay? Any time you see that tinge in the crescent part of the fingernail, it indicates a low oxygen level.

Last edited by Refuge 51; 09-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thanks Refuge51. I can see the tinge when my heart is beating normally, so it can't be that. I haven't noticed any swelling. As for my breathing, I used to have asthma, but grew out of it. I keep getting a recurring dry cough, though. Plus, I don't think I breathe properly. I seem to take too shallow breaths, rather than deep ones, so maybe I'm not getting enough oxygen. My nose has been stuffed up the past few weeks and I'm trying to breathe through it, so maybe that's it? I don't know, but if no one else can see the tinge, I might be worrying about nothing?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

Quote:
Thanks Refuge51. I can see the tinge when my heart is beating normally, so it can't be that. I haven't noticed any swelling. As for my breathing, I used to have asthma, but grew out of it. I keep getting a recurring dry cough, though. Plus, I don't think I breathe properly. I seem to take too shallow breaths, rather than deep ones, so maybe I'm not getting enough oxygen. My nose has been stuffed up the past few weeks and I'm trying to breathe through it, so maybe that's it? I don't know, but if no one else can see the tinge, I might be worrying about nothing?

A dry cough? That's how mine began. I was diagnosed with allergy induced asthma, but it wasn't.. Then they thought it was gastritis, but it wasn't that either. Finally, after my ankles swelled and I was having difficulty sleeping because I couldn't catch my breath, nor walk further than a few steps without gasping, I was given a ct and the echo. The diagnosis was severe LVD. 10% ef. I still have this darn dry cough and it drives me crazy. My ribs hurt, my eyes water, my nose runs, then sometimes I gag and almost vomit because of the tickle or irritation that gets in my throat when I don't expect it. I bought some anise candy just to kind of relieve it a little.
Anyway, a dry cough is a good indicator of heart problems.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Oh no, I'm worried now. I have had a dry cough on and off since I got bronchitis 2 years ago. I thought it was something to do with that. But maybe it is my heart. Maybe it is something more serious than SVT. I also get out of breath after I've been walking about 10 minutes. If I'm walking with my mum, I have to tell her to slow down and she is 30 years older than me! What is LVD? If I do have that, can I have children?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

Quote:
Oh no, I'm worried now. I have had a dry cough on and off since I got bronchitis 2 years ago. I thought it was something to do with that. But maybe it is my heart. Maybe it is something more serious than SVT. I also get out of breath after I've been walking about 10 minutes. If I'm walking with my mum, I have to tell her to slow down and she is 30 years older than me! What is LVD? If I do have that, can I have children?
Shakira,
I'm sorry to take so long to answer...

Sometimes, our hearts can be damaged by something as simple as the flu or bronchitis. LVD is left ventricular dysfunction.
It's when the heart doesn't pump strongly enough. Mine would beat too fast then quiver instead of doing what it's supposed to do. I look healthy, I've been active all my life, so it was the last thing I expected to hear from my doctor. If you will go to the doctor very soon and have the echo or ct and it does show LVD or cardiomyopathy, it sometimes can be reversed. I'm hoping that's what will happen in my case because I caught it early enough. Even if it can't be, when caught early, it can repair almost completely, and the meds help tremendously, because I feel great. Please, even if we are both wrong, you owe it to yourself to find out

Last edited by Refuge 51; 09-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
(female)

BostonDawn HB User

Hell...

Not only are my husbands fingers looking a distinct dusky color, his lips are too. We were at a cookout today, he was standing with a handful of guys around his age. I couldnt help but notice the coloring on his face compared to the others. Once I noticed, I got as close as I could without freaking anyone out and started checking out their lips.
All the other guys lips looked pink, same with their hands. Hubbies lips look darker and his fingers are swollen, tight and dark as well...

I see him every day and honestly didnt notice this before. I tried talking to him about his when he got home. Told me I was overreacting...I told him if he wants to see me overreacting, just wait till he drops to the floor, then he will see what that looks like. I'll show him what overreacting is before I flog him into unconciousness....

Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
(female)

Refuge 51 HB User

Oh my gosh Boston! Tell him if he doesn't go in to get checked to prove you wrong, you'll bring the doctor to him! Men...that's why they die, because they won't listen. My father used to come in with a cut or scrape and tell us he fell, when in reality, he was blacking out. He had to have a physical for his insurance and that's when they immediately placed him in the hospital. He had 5 arteries blocked! That was 15 years ago. He's 82 now and doing super.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
(female)

BostonDawn HB User

Hi Refuge,

Thats good news, your Dad is still going strong. Yeah, I happen to be married to the most stubborn of their kind. Or more likely, most afraid...I've posted at length before of my concerns, naturally I have lots of questions. This was something new that I noticed, he is convinced if he has heart problems, they are a long way off. I on the other hand, and convinced they are right around the corner. But who can say? Maybe he and his blue hands will truck right along for another 20 years...Oh wait, he corrected me tonight....they are TAN, not blue.

Closed Thread