It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User
Jugular venous pressure

I am interested in what exactly this is. I have posted here many times before, describing general symptoms (chest pain, shoulder and arm pain, shortness of breath lying down, a general feeling of being out of it all the time, etc.).

Through several tests (echos, stress echo, etc.) doctors have concluded that my pains are not heart-related, but may be gastro (I do have a hiatal hernia and esophagitis).

Still, I am very concerned that I am able to visibly see my neck veins pounding hard with every heart beat and I can see a strong pulse between my collar bones at the base of my neck. I am about 20 lbs overweight, so one would think that I wouldn't be able to see my neck veins as I am not overly skinny (or skinny at all).

I have read that high jugular venous pressure is a sign of right-sided heart failure. Are the strong pulses I see and feel indicative of high "jugular venous pressure"? Given that I am young (29 years old), maybe my heart is not yet in failure, but maybe my right vetricle is weak and having to pump really hard to move the blood on (thus, the bounding), and, at this rate, my heart will eventually stretch out and get into failure.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Old 09-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Jugular venous pressure

I dont what that is.However my heart does the same.I have had in the past high rate pausle.My heart beat hard also.I see and feel it in the same spots you talked of.Ive looked at others neck and theres dont beat hard there like mine.What do we do? and what causes it?could be lungs also

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Sorry to hear that you feel the same thing, but glad I am not alone. Maybe we should be posting in the lung disorder forum? I used to be a smoker for about 7 years and now only occassionally have one or two.

Before we re-post, does anyone here think this could be indicative of a heart problem? Given my other symptoms listed below, I can't believe that it is not....

Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
(male)

nosa47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe36 View Post
I am interested in what exactly this is. I have posted here many times before, describing general symptoms (chest pain, shoulder and arm pain, shortness of breath lying down, a general feeling of being out of it all the time, etc.).

Through several tests (echos, stress echo, etc.) doctors have concluded that my pains are not heart-related, but may be gastro (I do have a hiatal hernia and esophagitis).

Still, I am very concerned that I am able to visibly see my neck veins pounding hard with every heart beat and I can see a strong pulse between my collar bones at the base of my neck. I am about 20 lbs overweight, so one would think that I wouldn't be able to see my neck veins as I am not overly skinny (or skinny at all).

I have read that high jugular venous pressure is a sign of right-sided heart failure. Are the strong pulses I see and feel indicative of high "jugular venous pressure"? Given that I am young (29 years old), maybe my heart is not yet in failure, but maybe my right vetricle is weak and having to pump really hard to move the blood on (thus, the bounding), and, at this rate, my heart will eventually stretch out and get into failure.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Hi Ross:

Given the fact that you are only 29 and, more importantly, all the heart-related tests that you underwent were normal, your symptoms most likely are from your hiatal hernia and esophagitis caused by gastroesophageal reflux or GERD. The symptoms of a hiatal hernia and GERD can mimic those of heart related problems including chest pain (angina) with radiation to the arm and shoulder.

I have read about jugular venous distension (JVD) and your concern about heart failure which usually is the setting for JVD, but from what I understand, the venous distension they are referring to relates to the INTERNAL jugular vein, not the EXTERNAL. What you are most likely seeing are the external veins in your neck which are very easily seen and can be quite visible in many NORMAL people and should not be confused with the intenral jugular vein.

Since your tests have ruled out heart-related problems, you should turn your attention to treating the hiatal hernia and esophagitis. If you have not already done so, seek the consult of a good gastroenterologist and undergo all the tests needed and follow the doctor's advice. There are a lot of good medications that can treat the symptoms and prevent or minimize their occurence. Check out the digestive disorders board. I am sure you are aware of the life-style changes that are needed for dealing with your condition. I will start with the most obvious ones which are LOSE WEIGHT and STOP SMOKING. Avoid caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, peppermint, fried and fatty foods. Eat smaller meals more frequently instead of 3 large ones. Keep a diary of foods that trigger or make your symptoms worse and avoid those. Don't eat within 2 to 3 hours of going to bed. Try to stay upright after meals i.e. try not to sit or lie down. Don't do heavy lifting or bending. Don't slouch while seated. Sleep on an incline with head of the bed elevated 4 to 6 inches. I am sure there are other things you can to do which can be researched.

I think this will go a long way in treating you GI problems and at the same time enormously benefit your cardiovascuar system. Good luck

Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
(male)

gallipoli HB User

Roscoe. As you know, i'm in the same boat with the bounding pulsing neck. I keep dropping in here for no other reason than to check on how you're doing. I understand the fear, and want you to know that you're not alone.

I'm at the stage now where I am happy with the chest x rays and ekgs and doctors exams, and I'm getting on with stuff. Sure, I have a big meal, and my neck bounds like crazy, but other times it doesn't. And occasionally I have seen other people have the weird pulsy neck. I'm getting over it. I feel good.

I've started cycling, and I get my body working, and man, does my neck and chest bump with all the exertion - and I enjoy it. I feel like I have a big healthy heart, and its just happily pumping away.

Stop checking it in the mirror. Stop feeling for it. Stop examining other people's necks. Stop the anxiety cycle. We are a couple of young men who have neck pulses that are more visible than others. That's it. No medical significance. No big deal.

Best of luck to you, fella. This is probably my last visit to this forum, and I wish you the very best. You'll beat it, don't worry.

Closed Thread