It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

mintora HB User
Anyone with pericardial cyst

Hi~

39 y.o. female dx with pericardial cyst two years ago. The cyst was found on accident when a chest x-ray was done for bronchitis. I have been symptom free until November of 06. I had my second son in October of 06 and it's been one thing after another. At first I was told I have was having anxiety/panic attacks. I was in the ER 4 times by April of 07. I had every test possible and no one even looked at cyst. I would complain of chest pain and it was passed by. I went to one cardiologist who told me that these cyst are not a problem. You just watch them end of discussion. I went for a second opinion and she said the same thing. She finally did a Cardiac MRI in July. Everything looked great. Showed that the cyst grew a 1/2 cm. It is not 6.7 cm. in size. I called her in July for results and they told me not to worry. I go for a six month check up and she tells me the cyst should be removed. I was floored. I didn't know what to say. She told me I run the risk for it to hemmorage. Where she is getting this information, I don't know. She told me in July I was fine. Go about my life and forget the cyst. She told me I would need open heart surgery and told me to see a surgeon at Northwestern Memorial (I live in Chicago).

I'm going back to the first cardiologist tomorrow. My neighbor is a cardiologist and he told me surgery is not needed and it's fine. He told me these things are left alone. I'm scared, confused, angry and I don't know which way to turn or who to trust. Does anyone have experience w/ this? I would really really like some feedback or direction. Thank you so much for listening to me.

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
(female)

alaskamom HB User
Re: Anyone with pericardial cyst

Hi,
I started having chest pain in March 2007. I went to the er and told me I had reflux which I knew I didn't have. I pushed harder and finally saw a cariologist and had an addenosine stress test which showed a pericardial cyst but not to worry and check in 6 months. I contunine to have chest pain. They did an angiogram and showed cardiac spasms. I have low bp so all the drugs drop it futher. Anyway I went a couple of days ago for a recheck on the cyst and it has doubled in size and doctor recommends having it out using the VATS procudure. I have read that we should have them out due to rupture/sudden death and so on. I'm going to get a 2 opionion but I'm not sure if I going to see a cardiologist or cardiovascular surgeon.
Good luck

Old 09-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
(female)

alaskamom HB User

How Did your Dr. appt go and what is the plan? How are you feeling?
Janet (alaskamom)

Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
(female)

cheesesandwich HB User

I had to surf through alot of info on heart disorders before I finally found a mention of pericardial cyst. I had a ct scan done in April by a urologist. The scan noted a 1.3 cm cyst. I've had other scans in the last 5 or 6 years for other reasons, and it has not been noted before. tlhe urologist said I should talk to my internist about it. He made me angry because he just kept saying "it's like a wart, it's like a wart". He didn't give me a chance to ask any questions before saying "we'll take care of your laundry list of questions at your next yearly". Needless to say I was not too happy with him. I wanted to remind him that my family has a strong history of death by heart attacks at an early age (36,41, 51, 58, to name a few) and he didn't give me the chance. I researched pericardial cyst and about all I found is that if it is small and doesn't grow then surgery shouldn't be necessary. But, yours sounds huge. A large cyst will keep the heart from beating correctly because the space in the pericardium is taken up by the cyst. My doctor didn't even suggest I have it checked in a year or that I see a cardiologist. I wonder what size they consider too large? Let me know what you decided to do?

Last edited by cheesesandwich; 11-27-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: change a word

Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
(female)

alaskamom HB User

HI,
I had surgery 2 weeks ago. I had a producure called a VATS. Its not as invasive. I was in the hospital for 3 days. I had a chest tube for 2 days. My surgeon said the cyst was a size of an egg. I had talked to 4 doctors about the choose of surgery. They told me it was a benign condtion and wouldn't cause be any problem. I was having chest pain 50x a day. Since surgery 2 weeks ago I had had some but I really think it was the right choice and would do it again. The cyst was on the lining of the heart and had started to attach more to the heart muscle. Let me know what you decide,
Janet

Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
(female)

mintora HB User

Hi,

Sorry I have not written back. Two cardiologists have told me to leave it alone. I'm wondering if I should see a surgeon. Now they are telling me that it can reabsorb itself and they are not life threatening. I'm a wreck over this. My friends are telling me that I'm creating the pain by worrying about it all the time. I have chest pain most of the day. I'm afraid of surgery too. I'm at a loss here. How is your chest pain? I was told that if it's removed it can come back. I hate knowing I have this thing growing inside me. And why was it just found after having xrays before, etc.

I hope you are well and happy new year!

Closed Thread