It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

sam0610 HB User
Heart has hiccups and feels like its jumping-what is this?

Please advise. Am 35 yr. old female. 5'8", 124 lbs., excercise regularly, never smoked, eat healthy but do drink coffee, alcohol on weekends and diet soda. Have had these "heart hiccups" off and on for last 5-8 years. Have worn the 1 week and 30 day halter and doctor said that my electrical is good. But I notice that every once in a while (esp. closer to my time of the month) I get these wierd heart thingies. Sometimes right after I eat my heart will feel like its twisting, skipping or coming out of my chest, then I get dizzy and I have to cough to set it right again. Then my heart will beat very fast for a few seconds and then it goes away. I have sort of chalked it up to being me and hormones but wondering if I should go back to doc and deep further into it. It rarely happens, but when it does it is pretty scary.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading long posting

Old 04-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

jenna001 HB User
Talking Re: Heart has hiccups and feels like its jumping-what is this?

It makes me feel better that someone else has this problem.. that is how i have been explaining this for years.. i am only 26 and i smoke i always thought it had something to do with my smoking... i read somwhere about something called PVC.. could that b what it is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User
Re: Heart has hiccups and feels like its jumping-what is this?

Hey Sam,

Have an echocardiogram done..I had the same problem with my heart, had EKG's done and the Holter test...nothing showed up and I went on like this for nearly 10 years. Finally, just last year I had to get some dental work done and they required me to do a echo to find out what was causing my heart issues. I had an overactive thyroid problem, back in 1997-1998 and my Dr. put me on Propranolol. I had rapid, skipping, jumping, and yes the coughing...all of that...I tried to get off the meds after the thyroid got better, but never could. So I stayed on the meds then FINALLY after all these years they did the Echo. Up to that point my Dr just kept me on the meds to keep my heart calmer. well, I ended up being diagnosed with Mitral Valve regurgitation. After all of this time! The nurses at my Dr's office, began to act as if I were just anxiety stricken. I wanted to look at them and say "YES, I am anxious..wouldn't you be?" I wanted to scream half the time. Well the funny thing is ,though I would not wish my problem on anyone, it was gratifying to have that same nurse FINALLY treat me with the respect I deserve!!! It really is so difficult to have your heart act up..and very scary...I have so many symptoms including the waking up at night feeling like I can't get a good breath TILL I sit up...well Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Oh.. Sam forgot to say too..I also am a female, age 35...I began this problem after the birth of my first son..by son number 2...I was very bad....avoiding alcohol, especially Salt, don't drink any caffeine and limiting sugar helps and yes right before that time of the month..it gets the worse for me too..Every female who has heart issues gets this problem worse BEFORE their periods since the hormones aggravate the condition, pregnancy does too.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
(female)

mvhrt2 HB User

Hi, I have a question on this matter..
I have been through all of this stuff and it happened actually during my 4th pregnancy and never went away. I have been put on two different monitors and was told that I have PVC's or ummm whichever one has the word premature in it... premature beats basically and it was nothing to worry about.
So to my question and it's for the ladies..... I do get them before my period but also during and when it's going away (especially when it's going away) does that happen to anyone else?
The reason why i'm here is because the last 3 days it's been very bothersome and it's freaking me out again.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

My heart acts up all the time, but it does act up more so during my ENTIRE period. I wouldn't be concerned if it acts up during that time, as women our hormones are all over the map, so almost any condition can worsen during that time. The only way for me to control the problem I have to ANY extent with or without medications (for me I take meds as well) is a good diet, lower stress levels and most importantly exercise. I feel like at times, just screaming..cause I want so badly NOT to have to put up with this problem. A lot of people just don't KNOW how badly one can feel when their heart doesn't work well. It is only when it happens to that person, THEN they understand. If the heart doesn't pump right..it affects so much, the nervous system, breathing, the brain...I will get anxious when my heart acts up and rightfully so, I get less oxygen which makes me feel breathless and I can't focus or think right. So before, during and even at the end of your period, give yourself some extra time to take care of you! Taking that time for YOU, will at least make that difficult time easier! Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
(female)

mvhrt2 HB User

Thank you for your response! It is a very scary thing.... every now and then I will just have one really hard thump and that will be it... but every now and then I will have a flutter followed by about ten more and that's when I start to panic fearing that it won't stop and of course panicking will bring even more on. Back when I first started having this problem I was very happy to find these message boards it makes you feel like its more "normal" than you think... they are a real reassurance!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
(female)

WATCHOUT! HB User

Hey..I get what I call "attacks"...they can be brought on my something I KNOW I shouldn't have eaten, stress-just normal not taking care of myself, sickness, that time of the month, and I can have like a ton of "hiccups"...sometimes it just a day or these attacks can last up to a week...this is when things really upset and aggravate me. When my heart skips, a bunch in a row..I feel like I can't breathe and get really dizzy. I then have to reach for extra meds to calm it down. It DOES help to know that WE all have similar issues we deal with. Many people just don't understand..period!!! They look at me at like I am nuts. I like to tell people who don't understand..to think of a really bad flu/fever they had where there heart was high and raced...then tell them its like that but just a whole lot worse. And if I do get anxious about it....it makes me even more scared. I still panic, at times if the heart doesn't stop doing its skips..but a lot less now. I realize that I HAVE to live like this whether I like it or not..so I can either work WITH myself or against myself..so I give myself allowances and even if others don't understand..I give ME the understanding I deserve! Glad we have these boards to talk to others like us..its great to know we at least are understanding with each other!

Closed Thread