It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

mjf040504 HB User
what can be causing my left arm pain

what can be causing my left arm pain

Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User
Re: what can be causing my left arm pain

I really won't be any help because I have the same thing going on with normal test results.I actually have some random arm,hand,neck,and jaw pain.My doctor does'nt seem too concerned and thinks the jaw pain is unrelated believe that to be TMJ which could be my jaw crackles at the corners when I eat.Although,the pain I feel in my jaw is alot of times the exact pain I feel in my arm just at different times.Anyway,I am getting lost in my own issue.So like I said not any help but I too have the arm pains.Left arm pain can be the heart or it can be muscular or nerves.You should get yourself checked out.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 10-05-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

mjf040504 HB User

thank you for replying back i've had test done the doctor says it anxiety related but i dont think so i get the pain when im stressed or anxious i just dont understand it at all. i do know it scares the hell out of me. im only 36yrs old and have 4 children

Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I also get left arm pain when im stressed out or anxious. I also get jaw pain when stressed. The doc said its definatly not my heart. So i dont get it either. I keep thinking its some form of angina.

Last edited by confused32; 10-12-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
(male)

bmwboy2844 HB User

I highly doubt this is heart-related, I think it's anxiety, sounds exactly like Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Have you talked to a psychiatrist? If not, I do reccomend it.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf040504 View Post
thank you for replying back i've had test done the doctor says it anxiety related but i dont think so i get the pain when im stressed or anxious i just dont understand it at all. i do know it scares the hell out of me. im only 36yrs old and have 4 children
The stress is a cumulative thing for many of us, and for me, when it became an unavoidable isse, it was to lead to several very stressful months at work. I wanted to leave the place because it was frying me out. When it finally got totally out of control was in two meetings a week apart. By this time I had managed to distribute some of the problems to others and had a more supportive department manager so the meetings in question were less stress than most of the difficult situations of the preceeding 2 months. Even so I began to feel anxious, left side jaw pain and left arm pain. Prior to that had only been a slight stress ball in my stomach. I was off work and the first day back was a little stressed but not to bad but the next in another low key meeting the jaw and arm hit again and off I go to ER.
Now I do have some actual heart history dating back to when I was a cocaine user a few years back and since then I have gone from Mr Invincible to Mr Hypochondriac so I am always thinking I have a fragile heart, even though I was never actually told that.
So right at this minute I am exploring my options because I know how quick the wrong stimulus is to bring on a meltdown. With Ativan and the knowledge I suffered no heart damage I am doing to try to deal with it head on.
Since the negative Troponin test and EKg the pains in my jaw and left arm have gone. I also have pain in the left calf and thigh which the MDs say is not connected to heart in the same way the left upper body and these are now gone. It seems anxiety can mimic many Cardiac symptoms and sometimes what gives it away is all the clearly non related symptoms.
I would say you should exercise a bit to. One gets in the mind set of being "damaged" or "fragile" and what better way to convince your conscious and unconscious mind that is not true than by pushing your muscles and heart a bit. The endorphines are just a bonus. I would note that my anxiety attacks fcame after skipping the gym for several weeks because I was too busy. Good luck!

Last edited by Perry2; 10-13-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

What i would like to find out is.............the jaw and arm pain is it angina due to a heart issue or can that kind of pain be caused by stress alone and have nothing to do with your heart at all??

Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
(male)

m12 HB User

It is unlikely that the arm and jaw pain is due to angina or heart problems.
Pain will normally be detected by pain sensors near the heart so would register as a chest pain/tightness.

Response to stress on rare occasions can cause arrhythmia but NOT the serious ones that lead to cardiac arrest.

As for the pain...it is very hard to tell what is causing it, but stress causes release of cortisol and adrenaline. These lead to a change in many body processes including rise in BP. This rise in BP is probably due to constriction of the ateries (but mostly in arterioles). So im guessing the pain feels like it has a pulse. (Im thinking its just that. You are feeling the pulse and b/c the arteries are constricted it feels uncomfortable and so pain.)

Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
(male)

Perry2 HB User

I have been told if left jaw/neck/arm are heart related the pain on the chest would be as great or greater and for me it was the jaw and arm that were worse, ergo stress not heart driven. There are also a group of other symptoms; dizziness, nausea, sweating etc that were never present at the same time. I am convinced my arm and jaw pain are not MI related. That doesn't mean something won't come up in my stress test but Anxiety is likely providing almost all my distressing symptoms.

Health Anxiety is really common, and it should be treatable.Have you had a cardiologist confirm there is no blockage? If I recall correctly the only way they can completely rule that out is with an Angiogram, but I think you need signifiant frequent chest pain and other evidence before they will consider it. They should be able to tell during your stress test if you are suffering from Angina. That's what I was told this last time but not certain if I heard the same thing a few years ago with my first. After my Troponin test the Dr said it looks like either Angina or Anxiety and my symptoms were similar to yours.

I asked the question on an earlier thread about Nitro and Anxiety for the simple reason that Nitro is what Angina sufferes take, all the time.
If Nitro does not affect the chest and radiant pains of an Anxiety sufferer but it does help Angina sufferers then that is a simle test to diferentiate the two. I suspect your physician might respond that the anxiety driven chest wall pressure of Anxiety does respond somewhat to Nitro dilation so the simple test won't work. I would still ask that if I were you, (I am going to)and also find out what list of problems is required to get considered for an Angio.

Last edited by Perry2; 10-14-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

When stressed i often notice the jaw and arm pain but never chest pain. I do get chest pains but i have realted that to be mostly caused by gastric issues. I have had 2 nuclear stress test dont within 2 years, they both show i have no blockages but i continue with the pains. I was told i could have an angio but i was to scared to do it.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
(female)

casii HB User

I started having pain in my left shoulder in only one spot, pain was pretty bad, but then would go away, this went on for about a month. Then it came back, pain was so severe, I couldn't move my whole arm or hand. And my arm and hand felt numb, tingly. The pain was so severe I couldn't stand it. Went for x-rays, MRI, still in process of finding out what's going on. Orthopedic dr. mentioned it might be my heart. Waiting for results.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Confused 32 I have read back on some of your posts and can see this arm thing has been bothering you for a long, long time. You need to get it dealt with and the Angio is the last big thing to do. If you are offered it, take it. You will always be thinking you may be heart damaged until proven otherwise and that little scope in there is what does the proving. It is painless day surgury. My parents have both had it. One was stented and one was was left alone.
If I am offered, I will take it, because my Health Anxiety wants to turn any little ache into impending death, and only by seeing solid proof will it stop bothering me. I think you are wound up the same way. It isn't worth more months of worry and stress when they are offerring you this solution. I would much sooner have a narrowed artery ballooned then rely on Nitro meds if I have the choice, or be taking psych drugs for Anxiety when there was actually damage to be fixed. Might be time for you to step up and take a chance on a solution before the neverending stress creates a problem where none would have been

Old 10-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I had one cardio say they would do the angio but had 3 others say no that it was not worth the risk that can come with angio's. I thought about it and i dont think it is either. There is a risk of death or damage and what if its not my heart and my health anxiety leads me to worsen my health. I think im just gonna take my chances and not go with the angio right now. My main cardio said we will do another stress test in a year and see how things look, they said with 2 negative nuclear test that my chances are very slim that it is my heart.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
(male)

Perry2 HB User

I haven't actually heard there is much risk with the Angioplasty at all except in the highest risk patients with coronary artery disease in multiple vessels as well as diabetes. These people are normally given open heart bypass, but since no blockage issues have even been found with you, I assume you would be among the lowest risk groups.

There is a risk of death with any surgury, but less so when you aren't under a general anaesthetic. The Angioplasty studies I have seen say under a 2% mortality rate, where the subjects range in age from 50 to 70 years of age and where the majority have a history of prior heart attacks or unstable Angina. The Angiogram however, as a diagnostic tool has almost a zero mortality rate and that is what the one Dr suggested you do.

It seems like you are spooked by the Angio idea in general so I will drop that. BUT it also doesn't seem like you are comfortable with just waiting for future stress tests either, or that you completely trust the reliability of the tests you have had. Your anxiety issues aren't likely to improve much without something pro-active.

So I might recommend you search the net for topics like "safe alternatives to bypass surgury" and "nutritionally oriented medicine."
There are reputable Physicians who believe that the vast majority of heart surguries are unneccessary. They rely chiefly on diet, vitamin and mineral supplements, and stress reduction. They CLAIM significant regression of atheriosclerosis of the coronary blood vessels. In other words, while you are waiting for the next test you can be improving your hearts health without any risk, and even if it turns out you have no cardiac deficit the diet will improve the healthy function of an uninjured heart as well. Some of this is really exciting stuff. Good luck whatever you do

BTW Good job finding Cardiologists that aren't pushing surgury(even the Angio). Most people are concerned with overtreatment where there is an HMO to bill.

Last edited by Perry2; 10-14-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Smile Re: what can be causing my left arm pain

Thanks so much for all your help, i really appreciate your comments. I am very uncomfortable with the angio. The only reason the one doctor agreed to it was so it would put my mind to ease, he said he did not feel it was necessary but if it would make me feel better he would do it. Well that right there was enough to make me think hard about it. I dont want to do something that many have said is not necessary just to help out my silly anxiety that i have over my heart.

I think its the anxiety that wont let me believe that all the testing i have had done is ok, i just dont trust the test due to reading so many stories of people having these test done and they still have a heart attack. My dad had serious heart problems my whole life and i really think that is what is playing on my anxiety so im scared to go have an angio done based on that.

I like you though think that every pain i have is death knocking at my door. If i have a pain about my waist i think its a heart issue. It has been going on for almost 2 years now. I have always worried about my heart due to getting palpatations at the age of 18 that scared the crap out of me but i quit worrying for a few years till just recently it all started again all over the arm pain one day on the way to my cardio. Since then i feel pain daily and always contribute it to my heart. I am taking ativan as needed to help and i did go to an anxiety class but it did not really help much. I have changed my diet alot due to a few bad cholesterol test and im trying to prevent heart issues if i can.

Once again thank you so much its nice to be able to talk to someone that knows how i feel.

Closed Thread