It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
(male)

sabukoshy HB User
inducible ischemia means what

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
(male)

huckfinn HB User
Re: inducible ischemia means what

I think in general it means a lack of blood flow through the coronary arteries to the heart muscle, during exertion or stress, as opposed to normal blood flow at rest. This term usually shows up on a positive exercise stress test.

This is also known as "stable angina". This can be indicative of a blockage in at least one coronary artery that reduces what is deemed to be normal blood flow during exertion, but at rest blood flow past the blockage is normal.

I also wandered up on this definition:

"Exercise stress echocardiography was used to identify inducible ischemia, defined as any wall motion abnormality seen at stress but not at rest."

Last edited by huckfinn; 10-07-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
(male)

ramesh5903 HB User

does it mean that this occurs only during physical exertion? Whether walking especially brisk walking induces ischemia

Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabukoshy View Post
Quote:
ramesh5903 Re: inducible ischemia means what
does it mean that this occurs only during physical exertion? Whether walking especially brisk walking induces ischemia
A perspectvie from the forum's archives...Our responses are in bold characters to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesm2002
I just recently had a MYOCARDIAL PERFUSION SCAN.The results were, Probable abnormal images, with a mild reversible inferior wall defect suggestive of Inducible Ischemia. Gated images show normal global and regional LV systolic function, injection fraction is 65%. can anyone tell me what all this means.

02-17-2007, 09:09 AM #3
Lenin
Banned
(male)

bluesm,
What it means is that you show some evidence of a blockage that, with stress of exercise, deprives part a small part of your heart from it's normal blood flow. Thus the induceable ischemia.

Your ejction fraction is good meaning that most of the blood entering the heart is properly pumped where it should go. Your peak ejection at the left ventricular heartbeat peak (LV systolic function) is good.

Basically the test is showing some evidence of some small degree of arterial blockage. This is not certain though.

Why did you have the test? Did you get any chest discomfort DURING the test?

Report Bad Post ________________________________________ ______
________________________________________ ______

02-17-2007, 01:08 PM #4
kenkeith
Senior Veteran
(male)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesm2002
I just recently had a MYOCARDIAL PERFUSION SCAN.The results were, Probable abnormal images, with a mild reversible inferior wall defect suggestive of Inducible Ischemia. Gated images show normal global and regional LV systolic function, injection fraction is 65%. can anyone tell me what all this means.

Thanks

For perspective, during a strss test, a dye like substance is injected at rest and images are made of blood flow to the heart tissues. Then there is the same injection and image after peak exercise. "Mild reversible inferior wall defect" indicates some mild reduction of blood flow to the inferior wall during exercise, but normal blood flow at rest. Usually stressed reversable ischemia indicates significant blockage present. BUT about 15% of stress tests are either false negative or false positive due to an image distoration.

Of importance reversible ischemia insults and prolonged impairment in vasodilator responsiveness can cause myocardial "stunning" and it is proposed reversable ischemia causes microvascular "stunning". Stunning and muscle necrosis differ in that stunned cells can be revitalized when oxygen supply is normal. I received a RCA stent 3 years ago and my EF was below 29% and wall motion defect. The last echo indicated my EF as normal and wall motion defect insignificant. Apparently, the stent revitalized the cells when the supply of blood increased to the defect area.

Your good EF indicates there is very little if any heart muscle stunned or damaged, and sufficient blood is pumped to all areas is normal.

Last edited by started04; 11-30-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Closed Thread