It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
PVC's, PAC's and Chest Pain Getting the Best of Me, mentally

I've had almost every test available with the exception of the traditional angiogram (I've had nuclear stress, echo, CT Angio, holter, chest CT, head MRI, Tilt Table...).

I am a 41 year old female - no known health problems based upon checkups; healthy weight; former smoker; mild exerciser; healthy cholesterol levels; optimal blood pressure.

I'm having "benign" PVC's, PAC's, and chest pain. I use the word benign loosely, because after 2.5 years of daily symptoms - I'm starting to lose it. These are not benign to my mental health, for sure.

Not a day goes by that I don't have the very forceful PVC's (the PAC's are not such a big deal in comparison).. as well as various chest pains.

It is so disconcerting, I can't take it anymore! I feel as though I am dying at times throughout the day... literally.

At times (1x per week or so) I've resorted to drinking quite a bit of alcohol because being drunk is the only time I don't feel it & I just want a break

I've tried abstaining from alcohol, sugar, preservatives, meditating, no caffeine, beta blockers, extra magnesium, calcium, water - I've tried everything I've heard folks here mention... nothing has helped.

I know this subject has been on this board many, many times. I just am starting to become very depressed because of this. It is now affecting my ability to work, socialize, and live a normal life.

I'm wondering if I just now need to turn to a psychiatrist & antidepressants, which I am kind of against in this situation - but geeez, this really sucks.

I have to stoically go through each day with people not knowing how I am feeling, because I "look fine!"

(A couple of things that I notice bring on even more palps - Taking a chewable Fiber tablet containing Inulin and other ingredients; swimming; going from standing to laying down in a rapid fashion. Otherwise, they are super random.)

I will seriously listen to and take suggestions from anyone here. Thank you so much for your help, or just for listening. Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

tomah HB User
Re: PVC's, PAC's and Chest Pain Getting the Best of Me, mentally

I wish I could help you. I have been having those things for 20 years! I've had all the tests, too - but they did find that I have 100% blocked RCA - but my heart made new vessels to go around it. I know exactly how you feel! If I wake up in the morning and get a couple - I know my whole day is going to be shot. I just saw my cardiologist again on Wed - and he assures me they aren't dangerous --- well, they may not be dangerous - but they certainly can affect the quality of your life. You might want to talk to your dr. about taking a small dose of xanax or klonopin (although they don't like to prescribe them because they can be addicting). I don't drink alcholol - seems like that made them worse. If someone could come up with a cure for these -- they could make a fortune. Please hang in there - I know it's hard.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomah View Post
I wish I could help you. I have been having those things for 20 years! I've had all the tests, too - but they did find that I have 100% blocked RCA - but my heart made new vessels to go around it. I know exactly how you feel! If I wake up in the morning and get a couple - I know my whole day is going to be shot. I just saw my cardiologist again on Wed - and he assures me they aren't dangerous --- well, they may not be dangerous - but they certainly can affect the quality of your life. You might want to talk to your dr. about taking a small dose of xanax or klonopin (although they don't like to prescribe them because they can be addicting). I don't drink alcholol - seems like that made them worse. If someone could come up with a cure for these -- they could make a fortune. Please hang in there - I know it's hard.
Hi tomah,
Thanks for taking the time to read & write back to me. Yeah - it stinks, and no matter how many times I am told they are not dangerous, it FEELS dangerous as heck!

Last night I was reading "More" magazine, and there was a study done on 14,000 postmenopausal women (I'm pre, though) & it said that mild abnormalities such as a premature heartbeat were signs of future trouble! This study was completed just this year - I probably am not allowed to provide any links or anything, but the doctor who did the study is Pablo Denes.

I made an appt with my cardiologist for my annual check up, and I'll be sure to bring this article with me.

I was given Xanax when these things first started - and yep, I became physically dependent on it very quickly. They said to take it any time the palps were very bad. Well, that is every day!! I finally stopped taking it - it was a terrible withdrawal, even though I tapered off pretty slowly - so I have to stay away from that stuff.

Again, thanks for just being here & I hope you are feeling better too.
Take care!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

linda1962 HB User

Gosh! I know all to well how you're feeling. The ONLY thing I could ever associate mine with (and I've only had them for the last year and a half - I'm 45) is my menstrual cycle and stress. After making my Cardiologist swear I wouldn't die from them he put me on Toporal XL which has helped, or at least I think so. Last month I switched to the generic version of the Toporal and my PVC's started all over again. The Pharmacist said I must be sensitive to it and put me back on the Toporal which after 3 days my PVC's have stopped again. I think the Toporal keeps them at bay but I still have a few here and there depending on my stress level and monthly cycle. I'm always afraid to go to sleep when they occur - and they almost always seem to occur more at night than in the day.......hmmmm. Anyway, I'm assuming the Toporal is what helps otherwise, like you, I've tried everything else and still seem to get them.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
(female)

tomah HB User

Linda - I posted about generic Toprol. There are A LOT of people that say it doesn't work. I was on it for a week, and my heart rate was up in the 80/90 range (usually 55 - 60). I am now taking atenolol - and am going to ask my dr. to provide a rx for "dispense as written" so I can go back on the Toprol XL.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda1962 View Post
Gosh! I know all to well how you're feeling. The ONLY thing I could ever associate mine with (and I've only had them for the last year and a half - I'm 45) is my menstrual cycle and stress. After making my Cardiologist swear I wouldn't die from them he put me on Toporal XL which has helped, or at least I think so. Last month I switched to the generic version of the Toporal and my PVC's started all over again. The Pharmacist said I must be sensitive to it and put me back on the Toporal which after 3 days my PVC's have stopped again. I think the Toporal keeps them at bay but I still have a few here and there depending on my stress level and monthly cycle. I'm always afraid to go to sleep when they occur - and they almost always seem to occur more at night than in the day.......hmmmm. Anyway, I'm assuming the Toporal is what helps otherwise, like you, I've tried everything else and still seem to get them.
Hi Linda,
I am really glad to hear that Toprol has helped you. That's awesome. I still hold out hope that somebody, somewhere, will find something to help me too. Thanks for sharing your story, take care.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

what does your pvs's feel like and how long do they last? what meds are u on for that? hope your feeling better

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
(male)

vicjay HB User

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have suffered only for 4 months with PVC/PAC and have also had all the related tests you can imagine:

*Stress (treadmill) test
*Echocardiogram
*Nuclear Thalium test
*Complete Blood work
*30 day holter device
* MRI of brain, neck, spine etc

I have been on three different medications: Toporol(generic), Tambocor (generic) and Isoptin(generic). None of these have helped. And now my Cardiologist is talking to me about performing a Cardiac Ablation.

All my results are benign - and yet as you have so eloquently stated - the last thing I feel is safe! It is a dreadful feeling, and as someone else has already mentioned, when I have a bad bout, no matter what time of the day it happens, be sure that my entire day and night is totally ruined. I have constant PVC's for the most part if I don't take my pulse I don't notice them, but every now and then I get a proper thump in my chest, followed by an instant dizzy spell, a wooshing buzzing in my ears, and then rapid succession of pulpitations...the time frame for the whole experience is probably 30 seconds to 1 minute and then I feel completely fatigued for the rest of the day or night. I have spoken to my primary care doctor and am taking Xanax, at one point I was prescribed 5 a day (too excessive) and now I have weaned myself down to half a day or when I get trapped in a bad attack...I am tired of this, it is physically and mentally exhausting!

I don't like the idea of surgery, but if it will bring this situation to a close then I have to be honest and say I will have it done, because what I am noticing this is now a disruption in not only my quality of life but that of my family too.

You are not alone, I know that many of us share your thoughts during this time, perhaps you might ask your Cardiologist what the options involved with an ablation are for you...it may help.

Please take care, be strong and know that you are not alone...

Take care,
vicjay

Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Do any of you feel like you are going to faint? I had an episode the other day where my legs got weak and then my head felt like I was losing consciousness. I didn't but came darn close. My Dr. admitted me to hospital and all tests were negative for anything but the premature beats which I knew I had from monitor. Waiting on Echo results. I really don't think it was from premature beats as he said it might be or he said could have been a drop in BP or sudden rise in BP. It was really scary. I have been having shakiness and general feeling crummy with sinus problems and intestinal problems.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
(male)

vaderviper HB User

Maybe neither of you were taught Valsalva's Manuever and/or the Oculocardiographic Reflex......BOTH OF WHICH WILL SLOW THE HEART RATE.....BOTH EASY TO PERFORM.......ask your doctor how. Also, often Beta Blockers will abate the palpitations. PAC's are quite normal.......PVC's should be checked. GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
(female)

maisie jane HB User

[QUOTE=rdkmom;3304859]Hi there!
Hi there, i have just read your reply with much interest, i was diagnosed with a heart murmur in June 07, and the results of the echo has stated that i have severe regurgitation to my aorta, i was showing mild symptoms, occasional dizziness and breathlessness, but mostly feel very well, i am having a Tee on the 19th of this month, and i was unsure of the reasons they do this test, Thanks for your info and good luck for the 27th

Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have also heard if you cough a few times that that can stop them.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not sure which two of us you are referring to but I don't have a high heart rate at least for my age and the fact that I have emphysema. My rate is between 70 and 80. My Echo came back showing no premature beats and very good on everything else but I still have the shakiness. I was given a very small dose of Beta blocker to help with that as because I have asthma and emphysema BB are not used very often. I felt like I had some breathing restriction even with that but high pulse is not the problem with me anyway.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
(female)

Imadmr HB User

Hi everyone - I'm new to this so bear with me! I'm a 56 yr. old female and recently underwent a cardiac ablation. I was hospitalized several times during the last year because of cardiac arrythmia problems which triggered blood clots and a bunch of other issues. I ran the gamut of testing and monitors, went through different meds including beta blockers, all without much help. After the third episode of fainting and hospitalization my cardiologist (an electrophysiologist) recommended the ablation. I understand that it will take about 2 months to determine whether or not it worked.

Is there someone who might be willing to share his or her experience with this procedure?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
(female)

karate_mom HB User

[QUOTE=maisie jane;3305022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkmom View Post
Hi there!
Hi there, i have just read your reply with much interest, i was diagnosed with a heart murmur in June 07, and the results of the echo has stated that i have severe regurgitation to my aorta, i was showing mild symptoms, occasional dizziness and breathlessness, but mostly feel very well, i am having a Tee on the 19th of this month, and i was unsure of the reasons they do this test, Thanks for your info and good luck for the 27th
Hey Maisie,

I got in trouble for posting my personal info. So I am back as karate_mom. Anyway,
Let me know what happens at the test. I heard you get the information and what they see right away. I read some of your prior posts. We are around the same age. I am 42. I'm nervous about the Tee. How about you?

Closed Thread