It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
(female)

Imadmr HB User
Cardiac Ablation

Hi -I'm new to this so please be patient! I'm a 56 yr. old female and up until about 3 years ago felt terrific - active and healthy with few problems other than middle age. I was diagnosed early this year with a heart arrythmia - fast, slow, everything in between. I had fainting episodes and blood clots and a few other problems as well. After extensive testing and unsuccessful attempts at managing everything with medications, I underwent a cardiac ablation last week. I'm trying to get some information from anyone who may have had this procedure. I understand from my cardiologist (who is an electrophysiologist) that it might take a few months to determine if this is successful...I'm just trying to get a sense of what others have experienced.

Thank you.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

bb123 HB User
Re: Cardiac Ablation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imadmr View Post
Hi -I'm new to this so please be patient! I'm a 56 yr. old female and up until about 3 years ago felt terrific - active and healthy with few problems other than middle age. I was diagnosed early this year with a heart arrythmia - fast, slow, everything in between. I had fainting episodes and blood clots and a few other problems as well. After extensive testing and unsuccessful attempts at managing everything with medications, I underwent a cardiac ablation last week. I'm trying to get some information from anyone who may have had this procedure. I understand from my cardiologist (who is an electrophysiologist) that it might take a few months to determine if this is successful...I'm just trying to get a sense of what others have experienced.

Thank you.
There is alot about Ablations.Look back at the previous pages. It can take hours to read.
Some have great successes and some have to go thru ablation twice.
Hope things works out for you.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

Baltimoregirl HB User

Also go to Cleveland Clinic for their "talk" site. Go to heart and specifically electrical issues. There is a wealth of information from folks re their ablation therapy. Best wishes...

Last edited by Baltimoregirl; 11-27-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: blanked out for some reason

Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

Kami2007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imadmr View Post

Thank you.
Hi, I have had cardiac ablation. I was 17 when they partially ablated my SA node. My heart used to go 3oo BPM! After the ablation, my heart has not gone above 180 or so. I felt a dramatic change just days after the procedure. The test was really successful. I did find I am very sensitive to adrenaline. You can have the tissue grow back from where they ablated it. from my understanding, it can happen even years later. It is not very common though.
I am 27 now and still experience PVCs, but my heart rate has remained steady.
Hope your feeling better!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
(female)

Imadmr HB User

Thanks for the reply. About a week after the ablation I developed a complication from the procedure - some type of puncture or leak between the femoral artery and femoral vein. I developed a very large hematoma in the right leg and the pain was quite severe. I wasn't quite prepared for this problem. If this doesn't heal on it's own I guess it's off to a vascular surgeon to do something. Needless to say I'd hoped to be back to a bit more 'normal' by now...

Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

sue46 HB User

Hi,

I had an ablation for Atrial Fibrillation in May of this year, for me, recovery took about 8 weeks for me to feel back to 'normal' - everyone is different of course, my procedure, under GA, took 5 hours and he did over 100 ablates, this, I feel is why my recovery was seemingly slow - so in a nutshell.

No episoded in May, June and July, then they came back in August, culminating in 21 episodes in September (worst than before the op) they put me on the emergency waiting list which meant I would be operated on again this week.

At the beginning of October my GP reduced my thyroxine, now whether it was that, or my heart remodelled itself to work properly because of the op, I am now down to 4 episodes a month, I feel fantastic and have never been fitter - sooooo when I went in this week to have the op my consultant opted not to do it again.

So, you should give yourself more time to heal, I was told it can take 12 weeks for your heart to properly heal. Am sorry to read about your complications post op and hope the next bit of your recovery goes without a hitch.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sue

Closed Thread