It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
(male)

JackofSpades HB User
Question about chest discomfort

Hi All.

I have been expreiencing some strage symptoms that have lasted for about three years. I am 30 years old and am overweight with HBP. I take Metoprolol for that.

I sometimes get chest discomfort at different spots in my chest, best way to describe it is a gnawing feeling. This doesnt happen while exercising, and I have not experienced shortness of breath. I have had 2 EKG's and blood work done and my doctor says that everything appears normal. He diagnosed me with panic and anxiety disorder a number of years ago and tells me that, that is where my pain comes from.

Anyone have opinions on whther this sounds cardiac in nature?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Question about chest discomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofSpades View Post
Hi All.

I have been expreiencing some strage symptoms that have lasted for about three years. I am 30 years old and am overweight with HBP. I take Metoprolol for that.

I sometimes get chest discomfort at different spots in my chest, best way to describe it is a gnawing feeling. This doesnt happen while exercising, and I have not experienced shortness of breath. I have had 2 EKG's and blood work done and my doctor says that everything appears normal. He diagnosed me with panic and anxiety disorder a number of years ago and tells me that, that is where my pain comes from.

Anyone have opinions on whther this sounds cardiac in nature?
Hi Jack,

If an individual doesn't experience chest discomfort with exercise, it seems reasonable that chest discomfort isn't caused by oxygen deprivation and is noncardiac.

It could be a gallbladder inflammation or gallstones or pancreas that cause radiated pain to the chest area.

Pulmonry embolism can be ruled out as there is no shortness of breath.

Inflammation of the skeletal and rib cage area can cause pain, but taking a deep breath would exacerbate.

It is possible high blood pressure in the arteries (pulmonary hypertension) and/or asthama can produce chest pain and not compromise oxygen demand?!

It seems one would be aware if it were a panic disorder or emotional.

Last edited by started04; 11-14-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

bmwboy2844 HB User

I think you hit the nail on the head, except for the last point; it is not always obvious when something is emotional/psychological. For example, the only way I can tell if I am stressed is by the physical symptoms; I rarely get any mental symptoms/feelings.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
(male)

JackofSpades HB User

Thanks Ken, I know I should trust my doctor but when these happen it is very scary. I find myself obsessed with reading on the internet about this, and looking for answers. Its almost like I keep myself in this state with constant worry. Heck, even whn I am having a good day it is always in the back of my mind that it can happen again

Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboy2844 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head, except for the last point; it is not always obvious when something is emotional/psychological. For example, the only way I can tell if I am stressed is by the physical symptoms; I rarely get any mental symptoms/feelings.

bmwboy,
Thanks for the information.

Jack, I can relate to your comment. Take care.

Last edited by started04; 11-15-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Closed Thread