It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

SteveRoberts HB User
Duration of heart attack symptoms??

Hello.

I have been having chest pains for 48 hours. Do chest pains associated with heart attacks typically last this long? I would have thought not, but just wanted to hear how long heart attack symptoms generallly last. Is there a typical range?

I did a stupid thing and on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday of this week I drank alcohol til I passed out. Couldn't remember anything the next morning. I also ate an unbelievable amount of food on these 3 nights. On Wedneday morning, I threw up very hard. It actually hurt my throat during and afterwards.

I am not 100%, but I don't believe I was noticing the chest pains until after throwing up. Could my chest pains be due to the violent episode of vomiting? Would the chest pains usually last this long?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Steve

Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
(male)

SteveRoberts HB User
Re: Duration of heart attack symptoms??

I would like to add that I went to the ER about 2.5 weeks ago with chest pains. They did EKG and I think it was a CAT scan. Or maybe CT scan, not sure. Showed nothing.

In 2005, an echocardiogram and stress test showed nothing to be worried about. Also in summer of 2005, my cardiologist had told me he didn't think I had anything wrong with my heart, but since I was so paranoid about it, he told me the only way to 100% certain would be to have a heart catheterization, which I did have performed. It showed nothing wrong.

I also wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours, and I did this about 8 weeks ago. It showed nothing. It didn't even show palpitations, which I have been complaining of.

A recent complete blood count showed that my LDL is way high.

I have hypertension, and I'm taking Toprol XL 50 mg/day for the hypertension.

I'm 5'11 and weigh 225, and I'm 35 years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
(male)

nosa47 HB User

Hi Steve:

There is no "typical range" for how long symptoms of a heart attack last and those symptoms vary from one person to another. In my cardio rehab 2 years ago, there was a guy that ignored his arm pain for over a week and he kept saying how stupid he was for not listening to these warning signs until he did suffer the full-blown heart attack. There are people who suffer a silent heart attack with chornic ischemia with no pain or classic warning signs and they usually end up doing more damage to their heart because of the delay in seeking treatment. You listed quite a bit of risk factors (overweight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high food and alcohol intake and possibly smoking and lack of exercise?) and a lot of things could have changed since your last cardiac tests two years ago. My advice is to be on the safe side and contact your cardiologist or ER ASAP and don't wait for your symptoms to resolve on their own and of course learn from this episode and start taking care of your heart now. These are your warning signs. I think you would be wise to be preemptive and do something about it now and don't wait until real damage is done.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRoberts View Post
I would like to add that I went to the ER about 2.5 weeks ago with chest pains. They did EKG and I think it was a CAT scan. Or maybe CT scan, not sure. Showed nothing.
Did you have any other symptoms? Difficult or labored breathing? Over-sweating? Heart Rhythm problems? Pain radiating to the shoulders, arms, etc.? Lightheaded? Dizzy? Nausea?

Quote:
In 2005, an echocardiogram and stress test showed nothing to be worried about.
When I get an ECG, there is always a summary of findings in the upper right hand of the ECG report. What did yours say?

Quote:
Also in summer of 2005, ... a heart catheterization, which I did have performed. It showed nothing wrong.
Do you know what the catheterization summary said?

Quote:
I also wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours, and I did this about 8 weeks ago. It showed nothing. It didn't even show palpitations, which I have been complaining of.
There is a summary report, and a summary report by hour, of all heartbeat irregularities. Did you get a copy of them? Do you know what the summary indicated?

Quote:
A recent complete blood count showed that my LDL is way high.
Do you know the values of your HDL, LDL and total Cholesterol? Do you have any prior readings? Do you know your triglyceride level?

Quote:
I have hypertension, and I'm taking Toprol XL 50 mg/day for the hypertension.
Do you know your blood pressure range? What are your average readings in the morning, the afternoon, at night? How high does your blood pressure get?

There are some knowledgeable fellow patients that post here. Perhaps if you could supply a little more information, someone would venture an opinion.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread