It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
(female)

Georgette HB User
Pain in groin after angioplasty

Last Tuesday December 18 my mom had an angiogram which turned into an angioplasty. Everything went fine and she felt better immediately (from a heart perspective), but on Sunday she got a really bad pain in her groin where they went in with the line. She said it felt like something was going to burst. The pain subsided and hasn't come back since. Has anyone experienced this?

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
(male)

huckfinn HB User
Re: Pain in groin after angioplasty

Georgette, that may have been immediately after they had placed the seal in the artery, where they sometimes put lots of pressure on the artery to stop the bleeding. I have had 10 cardiac caths, 11 if you count a simultaneous right heart cath, and that is the only time I have ever felt any pressure. A few years ago, they placed a large sand bag on one's leg for 3 or 4 hours.....

Merry Christmas and I hope your Mom is feeling/doing well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
(male)

bobsmith2007 HB User

Hi.
Pain is sometimes a common side-effect after this as there are small nerves around the area and as previously suggested, high pressure post-procedure is needed and can contribute.
Best wishes

Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
(female)

Georgette HB User

Thanks for the responses. She mentioned a little bit of discomfort again on Christmas evening, but I think that was more likely just tenderness in the general area. It's just strange because she has had six angiograms and four angioplasties, and hasn't experienced any pain like that in the past. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
(male)

huckfinn HB User

Georgette, I wish that you had mentioned her previous experiences with heart caths. They are using different types of seals now, and I have heard of one case where they used a cardio or angio seal which came loose and went to the lower leg. One or both of these are collagen "plugs" which actually remain in place on the outer wall or puncture made by the cath sheath for quite some time.

I could feel a tiny lump in the area after my last cath in September, but I did not monkey with it.... Upon discharge, they gave me a "registration" type card with a serial number and lot number that came from the manufacturer, Cardioseal I believe (Cleveland Clinic).

The case I read about required surgery to remove the "plug" which had stopped blood flow going to the lower leg, thank goodness, instead of the other way. The pressure you mentioned that your Mother felt sounds suspicious, but if the seal had broke loose, she would already have been to the ER (it seems).

I would still keep an eye out for discoloration and of course pain in her leg. You never know nowadays.

Good luck to your Mom and yourself

Happy New Year

Smily

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

Imadmr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgette View Post
Last Tuesday December 18 my mom had an angiogram which turned into an angioplasty. Everything went fine and she felt better immediately (from a heart perspective), but on Sunday she got a really bad pain in her groin where they went in with the line. She said it felt like something was going to burst. The pain subsided and hasn't come back since. Has anyone experienced this?

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!
Georgette,
I recently underwent a cardiac catheterization, a procedure which, like your moms, goes through the groin. About 5 days afterwards I experienced serious pain at the site of the catheter insertion. At the ER I was diagnosed with a 'fistula' which was resulting in some blood leakage in the groin and a lot of pain. I had to see a vascular surgeon who is now monitoring the fistula...it is much better. If the pain returns it is definitely something your mom should follow up with with either her cardiologist or her internist.

Closed Thread