It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

kdinc35 HB User
Unhappy Rapid heart rate in middle of the night: 3 episodes so far

First episode: I woke up at midnight, Oct. 22nd to a rapid heart rate. I got up out of bed and started walking around, realized something else was wrong, left ear had a ton of pressure, and hearing was diminished. My heart rate went back down to normal level after a few minutes. I went to ENT that morning, diagnosed with inner ear nerve infection. Hearing came back in a few days, but now I have titinitus in the affected ear which is VERY annoying. First week in December, I woke up at midnight to a rapid heart rate. I didn't have any other symptoms, no pain, dizziness or the like. Heart rate stayed high for a few minutes. Then I went back to bed. Again, last night (Jan.8th) had a rapid heart rate episode again, nearly the same time around midnight. Again, no dizziness or any pain, just feel like I have to get up and keep walking around until my heart rate goes back to normal. I should mention that I am anxious falling asleep ever since my first episode when I had an ear infection. Wondering if this is anxiety. I should mention, I am a runner and work out to some degree every night after work, running or otherwise for about 1 hour. I don't sleep well at all, wake up multiple times as it is.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: Rapid heart rate in middle of the night: 3 episodes so far

I've had this happen to me before. I would get to where I was afraid to go to sleep because it was so frightening. Mine was rapid and pounding. I've had several holter monitors and heart tests that revealed nothing. I've been told that infection with or without fever can cause rapid heart rate and also anxiety (which is hard to believe for me if it is during sleep). My mother in law has a heart disorder where her heart only beats really fast when she is alseep. Her's does this constantly though every night. All they do is just give her meds that give her a normal resting rate at night. If you are a runner you probably have a good resting rate right? I would make sure that I saw my doctor but I wouldn't get too worked up over it as this is a first and it is happening during an infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

tired47 HB User
Smile Re: Rapid heart rate in middle of the night: 3 episodes so far

Dear all,
Posted this info on the acid reflux site, so sorry if I repeat but if it helps one person its worth it. I too woke up with rapid heartbeats at night. Went to Er, called an ambulance- but both times til we got there/they arrived it was more normal. Rapid heartbeats escalated into chest pain too... severe at times. Went thru endoscopies, GB removal, cardiac workup, antidepressants, still it went on and on for this last year. Finally I have been told by the cardiologist (electrophysicist) he thinks I have SVT, supra ventricular tachycardia.... I am on verapamil 180mg, it has helped but what really helps with the break through is magnesium. I take anywher from 600-800 mg. a day, carry it in my purse. It REALLY works. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User

kdinc, have you talked to your physician about sleep apnea? Not sleeping well, and waking up with fast heart rate are two commons signs or sleep apnea. It might be worth investigating.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

I agree with the poster about magnesium! I would have gone off the deep end at one time if someone hadn't posted about it on here. Rapid heart rate AND PVCs....for me it helps both! Good Luck!
Mileena

Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

linda1962 HB User

I agree with Sam I Am - it could be sleep apnia. Good luck and keep us posted with your results. I've learned so much from this forum because people post their symptoms AND their results so keep us all in the loop:

Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Hi all. I too have had episodes such as this. A few years ago there were many more than now. I began taking magnesium / calcium which probably have helped. However last night I had another one though not with a terribly pounding heart, but with elevated high blood pressure. Normal blood pressure is usually within normal levels. I freaked out. I also noticed that I become increasingly warm when I have an episode such as this. Has anyone else feel like they're very warm inside?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

kdinc35 HB User

Thanks for all of your help. Sleep apena was suggested by my doctor. I should have mentioned a couple of things. My longtime companion, my dog of 17 years, died a few days after my intial episode at night. I also exercise right after work around 6-7:30pm, and usually end up doing sprints while running/bike or whatever. This week I have been very diligent about cooling down after running or any exercise. Maybe I am too hyped up for sleep? Between losing something I love and having a weird ear infection that came on suddenly with a rapid heart rate. I AM axious at night. The past two & a half months have been rough. All of this happened in the middle of the night, so I am scared it will happen again. I will try magnesium though, that's a great idea.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User

I had a similar thing happen to me.....after testing, they determined my heart was fine so it had to be anxiety...HOWEVER...I was nice, rested, no stress watching TV laying in bed....all the times it happened.

Magnesium has helped...and they put me on Inderal LA, and it stopped....however, they used Inderal LA due to my history of Migraine as well..trying to assist with both things....it worked with both.

Closed Thread