It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

ladymurphy HB User
how long do you have to live after a heart failure

how long do you have to live after a heart failure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User
Re: how long do you have to live after a heart failure

I've known people who have lived many years after being DXed with heart failure. Medication and other things have helped to prolong life. I guess it would depend on the underlying cause of the heart failure. Even an enlarged heart can be treated with meds in the advanced world of medicine now.

Mileena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: how long do you have to live after a heart failure

The diagnosis of Heart Failure is a broad one. It basically means a weakened heart, not a failed heart.

I've been diagnosed with Heart Failure for over 20 years. My atrium is enlarged, and my heart has thickening in both the ventricle walls and the septum. At one time, my legs, ankles and feet were swelling up, and I could no longer recline, either to sleep or to watch tv. Reclining would result in breathing difficulties. I had to sleep, or watch tv, sitting straight up. I was limited physically, and the slightest effort would cause excess sweating, fatigue, breathing difficulties, disorientation, heart palpitations and other heart rhythm problems, plus a high level of frustration.

Today, fortunately, I am doing much better. I lift weights, power walk, recline to sleep or to watch tv, and am feeling pretty good.

A "failed" heart can be 10% weakened or 90% weakened.

A "failed" heart may be enlarged, and/or have thickened walls and/or a thickened septum.

A "failed" heart can be mildly enlarged, or significantly enlarged.

The walls, or the septum, of a "failed" heart can be mildly thickened, or significantly thickened.

The damage to the "failed" heart may only be in the Atrium (top portion of the heart), and/or the Ventricle (bottom, pumping portion of the heart).

There can be associated valve damage or clogged arteries or rhythm problems or high blood pressure, or diabetes, all which could make for a either a worse diagnoses and/or worsening heart failure.

So...... to answer your question, how long you can live, after a diagnosis of heart failure, depends upon the seriousness of the damage to the heart, a patient's overall health, availability of health insurance, the quality of one's doctor, the effectiveness of one's medications, and the ability of the patient to be proactive concerning their medical care, their diet and their lifestyle.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 01-13-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Closed Thread