It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

ralean01 HB User
my doctor wants me to stop taking plavix,after taking it four yrs?

my doctor wants me to stop taking plavix,after taking it four yrs? I'm really scared that if i stop,I might have another heart attack.Help...........

Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User
Re: my doctor wants me to stop taking plavix,after taking it four yrs?

What is his explanation for why he wants you to stop? Do you have medicated stents? What is he replacing it with, if anything? How much aspirin do you take?

I've been on it for almost 3 1/2 years; when I last saw my cardio at the end of May he said that until they know more about what happens long term with people that have the medicated stents, it is best to stay on it, though he didn't think I'd necessarily be on it the rest of my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

ralean01 HB User

i have medicated stents also,three of them,i take a full strength aspirin each day plus my other meds,the reason he wants me to stop taking plavix is that i recently had blood in my bowel movements,and he said plavix would make me bleed worse,I thought you had to be weaned off plavix ,not quit cold turkey.i don'i mind telling you i'm really scared ,i'm glad that i wont have the expense of the plavix anymore however since I don't have insurance.Oh,yeah the bleeding was caused by an ulcer,and i have that under control.Maybe things will go just fine for me at least I hope so.I'm 56 yrs old and the life i have left is so precious to me,All i really wanted is for someone who was taken off plavixto tell me how its going for them.
thanks Shirley

Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
(male)

nosa47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralean01 View Post
All i really wanted is for someone who was taken off plavixto tell me how its going for them.
thanks Shirley
Hi Shirley:

In February 2006 I underwent a mini-bypass (midcab) surgery for the LAD and had a medicated stent placed in the RCA. I was placed on Plavix 75 mg and 325 mg aspirin. In October of that year I had some GI symptoms which eventually resolved after treatment. I underwent endoscopy and all the routine tests were done. One report indicated mild gastritis and they wanted me to undergo a colonoscopy for further investigation but they wanted me to stop the plavix for a few days to do the procedure but I declined since it was not an emergency and they agreed that it is okay to wait until I stop the plavix which was planned to be done after one full year i.e. February 2007. I had an appointment to see the cardiologist in March of 2007. He had indicated to me on prior visits that we will stop the plavix after one year. He does that to all his patients and he felt that the scare relating to late stent thrombosis and complications after stopping plavix, although real, was relatively rare.

Like you, after reading all the news about the potential complications from stopping the plavix, I was very apprehensive about stopping it and I couldn't help but feel that I was playing russian roulette with my life. But after my visit in to the cardiologist in March 2007, and since everything was going as expected, he casually said that you can stop the plavix now since it has been almost 13 months now on it, and for some reason I was not in the least bit apprehensive anymore. The GI symptoms that I suffered late in 2006 gave me a great incentive to eventually stop the plavix since everyone felt that that medication was definitely one factor, if not the main factor, in that episode.

There is no need to gradually taper off the plavix. Just make sure you continue your full strength aspirin. It has been about 11 months now since I have been off the plavix and thank God everything is going as expected. Another bonus from stopping the plavix is I don't bleed everytime I shave or scratch myself. I am still taking the 325 mg coated Aspirin (Ecotrin) at this time which is going to be for life. I know of at least 3 or 4 individuals on this board who stopped the plavix after a year or less and a couple of them who actually could not tolerate it for a few weeks and they stopped it. All of them are doing fine and I hope they can chime in with their experience or you can research the archives of these boards under the word Plavix since a lot has been discussed on the subject.

I feel that if you are religious about following a heart-healthy diet and exercise, reducing stress, controlling blood pressure and cholesterol, maintaining proper weight and of course not smoking, and taking your daily aspirin, you can safely come off the plavix especially if your cardiologist is saying it is okay. I might be apprehensive about stopping it in diabetic patients since I get the impression from my readings that they are more prone to complications from stopping it.

It has been my experience that I was over-worried about coming off the plavix but once I decided to do it and then actually doing it, it was not a big deal. Of course every patient is different with a specific set of circumstances which should be discussed and coordinated with their cardiologist. I hope everything works out well for you.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

jrmom1 HB User

HI there, I believe the current literature(2007) for plavix use is minimal 2 yrs for drug eluting stents ( medicated). The ongoing debate continues on how long to have a patient on plavix ( clopidogrel).The bleeding is prob more of a concern now . If you are on full dose ASA you will be covered for thinner. I would stop the plavix, the asa might have to be reduced to low dose which is also current standard practise to decrease the bleeding risk.

Also by now, if the stents had been implanted yrs ago , they have endothelialized(grown into)the wall in the artery well and hopefully no "struts" of the stent are exposed.

The following is an excerpt of a study presented at the Amercan Heart Association meetings of last yr ( 2006)

As for how long to continue antiplatelet therapy post-PCI, the 2005 updated ACC/AHA PCI guidelines recommend the following: Aspirin 325 mg daily should be given for at least 1 month after BMS implantation (unless there is a risk of bleeding, in which case it should be given for 2 weeks), 3 months after SES implantation, and 6 months after PES implantation, after which daily chronic aspirin should be continued indefinitely at a dose of 75 to 162 mg.

clopidogrel 75 mg daily should be given for at least 1 month after BMS(bare metal stent) implantation, 3 months after SES(medicated) placement, 6 months after PES(mediacated) implantation and, ideally, up to 12 months in patients who are not at high risk of bleeding. To reduce the incidence of bleeding complications associated with dual antiplatelet therapy, the guidelines recommend lower-dose aspirin (75 to 162 mg daily) for long-term therapy.

So there you have it

Last edited by jrmom1; 01-21-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

ralean01 HB User

Thanks to everyone,for replying to my post,I feel much better now ,still a little scared but not quite as much.This site is great,I'm so glad I found it.
Thanks again Shirley

Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
(male)

Deucey Deuce HB User

I've read some studies on LYSINE. It is supposed to prevent, and in some cases reverse, clogged arteries. Check it out. It's cheap and over the counter stuff. No known toxicity amount. I belive it is good with vitamin C to keep your veins good and vitamin b6 helps with the uptake. I found some Lysine that has the B6 in it already. About $20 for 1,000 pills. It could be just an extra thing for you to take to ease your mind.

Closed Thread