It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

WorriedIn2008 HB User
Chest wall inflammation questions/concerns...

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've been having some problems, and wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms. Sorry if this is long.

I have been to the emergeny room two times in the last 6 months for chest pain. I am a 37-year old female (just to give you background). Along with the chest pain, the pain has radiated down my left arm, into my back left side, into my jaw left side, into my neck left side, and into my shoulder left side. In addition, I have had several other weird things happening....loss of appetite, dizziness, light-headedness, heart palpitations, and just a general feeling of unwell.

The symptoms stared in June of last year, and continued to the point that I finally went to the ER in August. During those couple of months, there were periods of times that I barely ate anything at all because the symptoms made it so I didn't feel like eating, and I lost 20 pounds.

In my first emergeny room visit, I got an EKG, X-ray, and blood tests. All were normal. The doctor in the ER seemed to think it was chest wall inflammation and gave me anti-inflammatory meds. After taking the pills for a couple of days, I did start to feel better, and eventually over time I noticed that most (if not all) of the symptoms went away after finishing the prescription. Though I always was concerned that they would come back, so I never really put it in my mind that I was "cured".

Then a few weeks ago at the end of January, the same symptoms came back. Instead of waiting, I went straight to the ER (though at a different hopsital). Had EKG, X-rays, blood tests, as well as a treadmill stress test. All again was normal. They said they too thought it was muscular/skeletal. Gave me anti-inflammatory meds; however, this time they don't seem to be "curing" my symptoms.

My main questions are how could chest wall inflammation (CWI) mimic heart attack symptoms - the pains in the arms, chest, neck, back, jaw, shoulder? How could CWI make my heart race and have palpitations? Why would I lose my appetite with CWI? Why would I get light-headed and dizzy with CWI? These all seem to be heart problem symptoms in my opinion. I don't see how inflammation can cause all these symptoms?

Has anyone had any similiar experience with chest wall inflammation?

Another concern is if it is just chest wall inflammation, how would I know in the future if I were really having a heart attack - since all the symptoms match?

My father passed away at age 55 from a massive heart attack. Because of these symptoms and worrying, I have basically quit eating red meat and drinking caffeine. These problems/symptoms have interfered with my life - where I don't venture far from home, stay home more often, and have cancelled doing things. I do have an appointment with a doctor this week, but all of this has been weighing heavily on my mind, and am scared.

Last edited by WorriedIn2008; 02-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
(female)

jrmom1 HB User
Re: Chest wall inflammation questions/concerns...

Im glad you have a dr appt.
If the 2 subsequent ER visits ruled out cardiac, I would tend to think other things.
You are young and female so your risk at this time ( premenopausal) for cardiac is quite low, even with your father's history.

Your symptoms are varied and could mean other things are going on. Good luck and really push your Dr and be your own advocate to get checked out

Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

laurietrib HB User

Dear Worried:

I have the same symptoms has you do. I have had all the heart tests that came back negative. (Including a trip to the ER) My doctor thinks it has to do with GERD. It still scares me when I think what if it isn't. I have given up caffiene, smoking, ect.

I have alot of trouble when lying down.

I have yet to find something to stop the pain. It isn't a crushing pain. In fact on a scale of 1 to 10 it is probably a 2 or 3, so it is tolerable, but it makes me crazy.

Laurie

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

pulskaki HB User

I have Fibro and I have had many visits to the ER never heart related... They say that it is just inflamation in the chest wall... But you know it is very painful may be you should be checked out for fibro....

Old 02-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

laurietrib HB User

I agree about getting checked out for fibro. But I understand it takes along time to get the diagnosis. I've been trying for 2 years now to find out what is wrong with me.

You are not alone, even though it doesnt make the pain go away. I to have cancelled things because I'm to afraid to go to far from home. I don't like to be alone either. It's crazy to have to be this afraid to live.

Laurie

Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

ryleetn HB User

OMG we have the exact same symptoms...Check out some of my posts. Same age and all.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
(male)

chiron1203 HB User

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I am the same age as you (though male) and have the same symptoms. I lost 20 pounds rapidly and have not been able to gain it back. My pain has been constant (though with varying intensity) for about 10 months and I have headaches constantly. During bad attacks, I also get a tingle sensation in my extremities. I also have GERD (which has been mostly brought under control with meds), and this is definitely different. My doc hasn't put me on anti-inflammatory drugs because he fears it will cause my GERD to act up again. I am planning to go back to my doc to see if there is anything else I can do. MY doc feels I am to young to worry about heart problems, so has not done those types of tests. Does anyone have any advice on next steps?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
(female)

cstevens1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron1203 View Post
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I am the same age as you (though male) and have the same symptoms. I lost 20 pounds rapidly and have not been able to gain it back. My pain has been constant (though with varying intensity) for about 10 months and I have headaches constantly. During bad attacks, I also get a tingle sensation in my extremities. I also have GERD (which has been mostly brought under control with meds), and this is definitely different. My doc hasn't put me on anti-inflammatory drugs because he fears it will cause my GERD to act up again. I am planning to go back to my doc to see if there is anything else I can do. MY doc feels I am to young to worry about heart problems, so has not done those types of tests. Does anyone have any advice on next steps?
Hi,
I too have the same symptoms. I'm almost 33, female, and have had two episodes of this mysterious "chest wall inflammation" since May 27,08.
Now, mine is also left side, but strange things.. In 1999 I had a Pulmonary Embolus in the left lung... Last December, I had a routine chest x ray, where they discovered a "nodule"... Dr sent me for a CT scan. That confirmed the nodule, with calcifications of the lymph nodes. I've been told that neither are anything to worry about... BUT my concern is that everything seems to be on my left side that happens... This chest wall inflammation is just another... How can they diagnose something without knowing the underlying cause of the inflammation?? I've had blood tests, X rays, CT scans, EKG's, etc. Now, once again, put on another anti inflammatory... This time Toradol... hmm... not sure how this one will work.. Hope it all works out for everyone else.. for me, there's a follow up appt coming up with my family Dr.. as I'm not ok with the diagnosis.. I want answers on why this is all happening... I'll keep you posted. : )

Closed Thread