It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #1

OkieGal HB User
Post Signs of an enlarged heart?

I am very worried about my husband.
He has been having heart problems on and off for the last year.
He has frequent palpatations and seem to occur after he comes home from work to relax and lays down. I have heard in his chest occassionally his heart will skip a beat and then it will follow with one really hard beat. My husband also complains of chest tightness sometimes and pain on the left side of his chest underneath his left nipple.
He does have high blood pressure but he hasn't been able to go back to the doctor and get medication because of money trouble.
He also says that when he is sitting down, especially on the floor his legs fall asleep. His legs have even fallen asleep standing up and he says he feels like his legs give out and has almost fallen a couple of times. Anyone have any ideas or have symptoms similar to this.
He is about 80-100 pounds overweight and we are both looking for a diet program to join together.
Any postings are appreciated.
Thanks Everyone!

Old 01-11-2003, 05:54 AM   #2

chiron HB User
These symptoms sound similar to my own, with the exception of the legs. I often have discomfort under the left breast, and sometimes I feel like I am carrying a golf ball between my arm and my rib cage on the left side. I think it is more muscle tension than anything else.

I usually get these sensations when I over do it by working outside, or when I have my arms over my head for extended periods of time. I have had to learn to recognize when enough is enough for the moment, then I take a break and come back later to finish what I have to do.

Ten to twenty pounds of extra weight can make a big difference in how I feel, so I work to keep a consistent weight that I can carry without to much body fatigue. Sensible eating and exercise is important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2003, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User
Hello:

Do they have a free clinic by you? Or anyway to make small payments on doctor visit?

I certainly understand money problems but these symptoms sound pretty awful. I really think he needs to be checked out.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

------------------
Kimi

Old 01-14-2003, 04:55 AM   #4

Mezi HB User
I also think your husband should manage to see a doc as soon as possible.
The symptoms you describe sound similiar to my own (except the "leg-smptoms") and I have an enlarged heart.
High blood pressure can cause an enlarged heart, because the heart has to work harder than it has to with a normal blood pressure.
It is important to do an echo to see if your husband´s heart is bigger than normal. If he is not on the right medication, the heart becomes weaker and weaker, so please go and see a doctor.
Keep us informed!

Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
(male)

mburec HB User
Re: Signs of an enlarged heart?

Hello there,
after personally being diagnosed with an enlarged heart in December 2004, i can tell you what i know about.

The symptoms i experienced with this problem included shortness of breath, cough, swelling in limbs especially the ankles, SEVERE fatigue, pale skin, excessive thirst, and just feeling like crap most of the time.

Mine started when i finally got tired of coughing up a lung along with the chest pain of coughing. I thought i actually had asthma and needed treatment for that. But after a breathalizer test(which i could not get to register) and xrays. I was admitted with Congestive Heart failure/Enlarged heart. I had a cardiac cath procedure the next morning that showed 0% plaque buildup in my arteries, but it also showed that my heart was only strong enough to pump out 20% of the blood that my heart pumped in. This caused my heart to work EXTRA hard just to keep me alive.

Now after 6 months of heart meds, the cardioligists were concern that the heart did not repair itself in that time, and that they were afraid of a total heart stoppage. So on may 18th/19th i had a BiVentricular pacemaker put in, it is a combo pacemaker/defibulator that controls and monitors my heart 100% of the day. If my rythms go out of whack (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) it shocks my heart with enternal electric paddles back into rythm.

My condition is called "IdioPathic CardioMyopathy", basically meaning unknown cause.

Now on top of this i now have type 1 diabetes, so WOO HOO

good luck to you and your husband

Old 06-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
(male)

Lukus HB User

You need to get a doctor's assistance, in order to be sure your husband needs to have some examinations like xray and stuff to diagnose his problem. Due to his high blood pressure and weight, he might have an enlarged left heart in order to compensate for the heart pumping and to overcome the resistance of the vessels.

does your husband become breathless while sleeping or feel air hunger? does he notice any blue coloration on his lips or fingers? does he have any kind of pain during rest or during effort? are there any edema or swelling in his feet?

Old 06-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Okiegal,
Even a basic chest x-ray will disclose the presence of heart enlargement. Maybe you can find a screening clinic for TB or some such that will do it cheaply, but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing like that exists anymore in this dollar-denominated industry.

I think the U.S. medical system is appalling in that it leaves 40 million citizens unable to get any medical care whatsoever without giving up the rent payment or the food on the table.

God forbid his heart IS enlarged because that's when it requires many THOUSANDS of dollars "worth" of medical care.

The only immediate CHEAP route to follow is the quick loss of that 100 pounds. That will help WHATEVER ails him.

(I think the leg falling asleep is a nerve impingement between two vertebra in the lower spine...annoying and occasionally VERY painful, but not life threatening. The weight loss will even help THAT.)

Good luck to you both. Keep the Baby Faith!

Practical advice...call his last doctor and tell him you are down to your last couple bucks and would he PLEASE call in a prescription for whatever BP med he was taking. If it's a pricey drug like an ARB or a CCB, ask him for something cheap like HCTZ or atenolol (about $5 a month). Controlling BP until you can get this sorted out is a must. Also have hubby take an aspirin a day without fail

Last edited by Lenin; 06-26-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

[Quote]:He also says that when he is sitting down, especially on the floor his legs fall asleep. His legs have even fallen asleep standing up and he says he feels like his legs give out and has almost fallen a couple of times. Anyone have any ideas or have symptoms similar to this.

I have heart issues and take medication and have had loss of feelings in my legs. It may have to due with medication adjustment, and it has been quite awhile ago now, but I awoke one morning and my leg and foot was without any feeling whatsoever. The foot would just flop and needless to say I could not stand. I thought I had had a stroke during the night, and it was very scarey indeed. I now know what it feels like to have stroke! The problem resolved after about a minute...I am at the recommended weight, but I don't believe an overweight condition would be the cause.

Closed Thread