It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2002, 05:39 AM   #1
(male)

matty_boston HB User
Post Palpitations at night.....why??

I get heart palpiations from time to time, but it seems like they are at their worst at night when in bed. I was wondering if anyone knew why this is the case. Is it because you are still and you can feel your heart beating more accurately then? Or does your heart rate change when you are lying down??

Also, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this....on some nights it seems that right when I am about to fall asleep I suddenly wake up (get startled) and I think it is somehow due to my heart palpitations (that they are beating too fast to fall asleep??)...this seems to occur more often when I have exercised during the day....

Thanks....any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 08-09-2002, 08:24 AM   #2

Dean2020 HB User
I know what you're going through. I've had fluttering and palpitations on and off for years, particularly at rest. Recently my brother and I both ended up in the ER with fluttering(atrial fibrallation) that wouldn't stop. We both suspect dehydration in our cases. And I suspect in yours too, since you mention exercise. Drink lots of gatorade and lay off the caffeine, alcohol and tobacco. Calcium, magnesium and potassium deficiencies can also affect heart rythm. Stress too is a big problem here. Seems when you rest the heart likes to tell you what you did wrong all day. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Dean2020 (edited 08-10-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2002, 02:30 PM   #3

cmccarthy1 HB User
Hi, I posted a message today and read your message afterwards. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but my heart does these big jumps as I am drifting off to sleep and they are not the usual feeling as if I am falling feeling. They are incredibly scary and huge jumps. I, too, have this happen if I have exersised a great deal that day and even if I have had a small amount of caffeine that day. I am a runner and did have several episodes where I passed out or nearly passed out while running. In response to those episodes I my heart doc performed an ablation wherefore getting rid of the extra nerves that were producing the arrythmias. I don't know if this is all connected or what. Let me know if you hear of any possible solutions. Thanks

Old 09-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
hi l too get this, i suffer from anxiety, you think your hearts stopped dont ya??? its scary when they last a little longer than usual too, take care http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
could someone please explain the 'dehydration'thing to me please

Old 09-23-2002, 06:18 AM   #5

khorne HB User
Question

It's so strange that I would come across these posts today when last night I was up half the night with a racing heart & every time I tried to fall asleep I felt like I was falling & my heart would drop. I thought I was going crazy! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one, although I'm sorry that ya'll experience it. I know how scary it can be! Mine seem to happen the most if I don't exercise & drink alcohol. How often do any of you have this? Also have others of you talked to your Dr. about it? I have another heart problem & when this happens I feel like I'm goimg to die, I've been upset just thinking about it all morning. Thanks for any replies!

Old 09-28-2002, 06:19 PM   #6

Sean11 HB User
Exclamation

I had an episode in the middle of the night with my heart 'skipping' or flipping and a feeling of being out of breath as this happened along with anxiety a few nights ago. It did not go away and later in the morning my heart was racing and my arm had pins and needles and was going numb. I went to the ER and after two days of tests have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and an enlarged heart.. Luckily the doc says this is reversible within 3-6 mths as long as the blood pressure medication does its job and I am sensible about my general diet etc...

If you have these symptoms - at the very least go and get your blood pressure checked out, especially if it runs in your family as it does mine..

Old 10-31-2002, 06:38 AM   #7

arizona_dreamin HB User
Hi!I'm glad I found this post. Sorry to hear about the problem. I too have been going through the same thing although it was happening more when I was drinking a lot. I don't drink now cause I am 3 months pregnant. Before I found out I was pregnant though I would drink often and when I would stop I would get horrible palpitations when I would try to sleep. Then, as soon as I would start to doze off I would emmediately get jerked awake with a horrible sensation afterwards. This was going on for awhile. Then I got pregnant so I stopped drinking and smoking and everything seemed to be going good until about a week ago when I got the palpitations at night again. It doesn't happen every night though like it did before. But it does prevent me from getting any sleep sometimes. Plus, the other night I had a panic attack. I don't know what's causing this since I am not drinking or smoking anymore but it's very scary. I went to my obgyn the other day and she said that my pulse was low and I have no idea if all this is related. I am very nervous about this.

------------------
~~S~~

Old 11-05-2002, 02:08 PM   #8

janeg HB User
Even though I can have palpitations at any time, I've found that the most likely time for me to have them is when I'm trying to fall asleep on my side at night. It happens on both sides, but is definitely worse when I lie on my left side.

I have mitrol valve prolapse by the way.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User
I, too, have the strange feeling in my heary when trying to sleep - I definitely get the "startled" feeling from time to time. I'd say it has been happening for a year or 2. I even went to see a cardiologist and had an echocardiogram and everything was as normal as can be!! She also attributed this to stress/anxiety.

I also get the feeling of "sensing" my heartbeats. At some points of the day, my pulse is about 80-90 beats per minute.

I hate feeling like this at night (so annoying), but I am soooooooo glad others have it too. Atleast I know I'm not imagining it.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:18 AM   #10

cyclebobc HB User
Hello all! I am so sorry that so many people suffer from night palpatations as I did. In my case I had a slow heart rate that was detected by wearing a 24 hour monitor. I didn't know it but my heart would stop for 7 secounds or so and my pulse would read 25 BPM. Not good as many have died from this as clots form while heart is in this crazy mode. The Atrium would beat but couldn't push the blood to the ventrical thus forming a clot which subsequently went to the blood stream which COULD cause a stroke. Within 4 days I recieved a Pacemaker. That was 2 years ago and I have had no trouble since. I am a senior citizen but compete in bicycle events. Still do. Have a 24 hour halter to test the heart beats!

Old 12-11-2002, 03:01 PM   #11
(male)

matty_boston HB User
Well I went to my Primary Care Doc after having a sleepless night of palpatations (they never lasted an entire night)....I got the standard blood test (thyroid test etc), had an EKG (came back normal),and am goind for an Echo and going to be wearing a monitor to. He also put me on a beta blocker to slow down the heartbeats. I will also be seeing a cardiologist. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this. I will keep you all informed. In the meantime, please let me know how everyone else is doing

Old 02-01-2003, 05:48 AM   #12

northernlights HB User
i get the same thing at night - right after i lay down in bed. i usually get them when i lay down on my back. i use to get them when i would be laying down watching tv. i was finally diagnosed with mitro valve prolapse. i've been on atenolol (beta blocker) for over 4 years now and it has helped immensely. i still have them at night from time to time, but nothing like i use to......sometimes when i start to fall asleep if i'm on my stomach, i wake up with my whole body "shivering", but i'm not cold. it shivers from the inside out. it's awful. i talked to my cardiologist about this, but he didn't know what it could be from. i suffer from very low blood pressure and very low body temperature, so maybe that is the culprit. who knows! why must we endure all of this??? (screams loudly in her head)

------------------
by Chance: SMILE!!

Old 12-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #13
(male)

regal48 HB User
Re: Palpitations at night.....why??

I think the dehydration idea might be valid. I have had two episodes of significant palpitations. They have been separated by two and a half years with the most recent one being last night. I am only 33 years old so this seems strange. The last time, I had an EKG and checked out OK. However, in both instances, I woke up in the middle of the night and was thirsty. After going to the bathroom to get water, in both cases I felt a wave of weakness and had to lie down on the bathroom floor. I didn't black out, but may have had I not layed down. Then I was able to go to my bed and suffered through approx. 5 minutes of pounding heartbeats and fluttering....a BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, flutter. After some deep breathing, it would go away. Thinking back to my diet, I have noticed that I have not been drinking much fluids and especially water or electrolytes. I'll bet that will solve the problem but will still check with my doctor. Good luck to everyone on solving this issue.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
(female)

jessveryape HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
i get the same thing at night - right after i lay down in bed. i usually get them when i lay down on my back. i use to get them when i would be laying down watching tv. i was finally diagnosed with mitro valve prolapse. i've been on atenolol (beta blocker) for over 4 years now and it has helped immensely. i still have them at night from time to time, but nothing like i use to......sometimes when i start to fall asleep if i'm on my stomach, i wake up with my whole body "shivering", but i'm not cold. it shivers from the inside out. it's awful. i talked to my cardiologist about this, but he didn't know what it could be from. i suffer from very low blood pressure and very low body temperature, so maybe that is the culprit. who knows! why must we endure all of this??? (screams loudly in her head)

------------------
by Chance: SMILE!!
i get that. its like ive just gone to sleep and i wake up sudenly and my heart is going fast. I shiver but im not cold, and my right arm and leg goes numb and i cant stand up. it lasts for about 15 to 20 mins and then its ok and i go back to sleep. i used to get it not ofen maybe once a month, but now im geting it every few weeks. can any one give any advise?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
(female)

jessveryape HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorne View Post
It's so strange that I would come across these posts today when last night I was up half the night with a racing heart & every time I tried to fall asleep I felt like I was falling & my heart would drop. I thought I was going crazy! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one, although I'm sorry that ya'll experience it. I know how scary it can be! Mine seem to happen the most if I don't exercise & drink alcohol. How often do any of you have this? Also have others of you talked to your Dr. about it? I have another heart problem & when this happens I feel like I'm goimg to die, I've been upset just thinking about it all morning. Thanks for any replies!
i get it at night, im just about to go to sleep, and i jump up startled almost. my heart is going mad i can hear it, and sometimes when its at its worse, i shiver even tho im not cold and my arms and legs go numb and i cant stand up. i dont get out of breath and it doesnt go by controling my breathing. im 17, this doesnt run in my family but it had started after i took ecstacy and weed a few times. ive stoped it now but the heart thing still happens. It used to happen about once or twice a mounth but recently its been getting more regular. I have been to the drs about it but didnt mention the drugs. They put me on amytriptylin (an anti depresant and sleeping tablet) but it didnt work. its just made me realy depressed and anxoius as i think im going to die evry time it happens. can some one tell me if they get this and what they did, as i dont know how much longer im going to cope

Closed Thread