It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 06:19 PM   #1

rachelh69 HB User
Post funny feeling in chest

Hello, I'm new here and just found this message board.
Anyway, I recently went to the DR because I was having chest pains, pain in my arm, trouble breathing, dizziness and numbness in my hands. The DR diagnosed me with having hyperventilition syndrome which was anxiety related. I'm a 34 year old female.
Since then I've had problems with palpitations. I guess that's what you'd call them. THe time I usually have them is in the morning when I'm just waking. They usually only last for a minute or two then go away. Until yesterday and I had them during the day. I was sick though and had a little caffeine.
My heart doesn't pound or race just feels a little funny. The only way I can describe it is purring{like you put your hand on a cats throat when's he's purring}. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way it feels. Or possibly like a rolling sensation. And sometimes it feels like there's an extra beat between the normal beats. But usually it just feels normal except for the purring sensation. And yesterday and today every so often I'll feel a little thump in my chest then it goes away.
I'm still having some periods of dizziness{it's more like spaciness, it only lasts a second then it's gone but I'll also feel a little nauseated and I'll feel this little thump at the same time which only lasts a few seconds. I was sick yesterday and haven't been feeling too good though.} except for a couple of times{in the past couple of weeks} when I thought I was going to pass out but there were no other symptoms.
About a month ago I went through a very stressful event and have been under alot of stress frrom other things too.
THe first time this purring sensation came over me I had just fallen asleep for the night and it awoke me and after that I had only one other episode I think. I didn't even think about it when I went to the DR because it had been a couple of weeks since I'd experienced it.
I was most frightened when I went to the DR thinking I was having a heart attack. They did an EKG and a chest x-ray. My BP was 120/70 but is usually 110/60 and sometimes lower. My pulse was normal and everything was normal except in an x-ray the DR said he saw signs of bronchitis which I hadn't really had any symptoms other than feeling like I needed to cough something up every so often.
It was after this that the purring got alot worse and is happening every morning. I have an appt with a cardiologist on friday but it can get really worrisome at times and that seems to make my symptoms worse and I seem to be more aware of my heart beating.
The only other things I've had more trouble with lately has been sinus problems{stuffy nose} and digestive problems both of which I've had for years.
I'm not sure what could have suddenly made the funny sensations worse. The DR gave me Zithromax{for the bronchitis} which I've taken before, bextra for the pain which I can't take because it upsets my stomach. And I haven't used the inhaler he gave me or the xanax{for the anxiety}. My MOm says I should probably take a little of the xanax especially when I feel a little panicky which generally only happens if I start to think about my symptoms too much and start thinking it might kill me.
THe other thing I've noticed is I seem to be more sensitive to sounds, smell and feeling. If my stomach rumbles it sounds like a lion roaring and it's like I can feel every twitch or pain I have and everything is more pronounced. And I've been having frequent nightmares of death.
Anyway, I don't smoke, drink, drink caffeine almost never but was losing alot of sleep to due to stress.
Sorry for such a long post.
Does or has anyone else experiences these funny feelings in their chest? Or any of these other symptoms?
BTW, all this started with an old, faulty furnace.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #2

NMc HB User
Hi Rachel:
Your palpitations (awareness of your heart beats) are more than likely not life threatening. Many people experience these symptoms, they are almost always benign. Illness, especially if accompanied by a fever, will sometimes precipitate rhythm problems, but these should settle down when you recover from the illness. It is a good idea to take the Zanax if you are feeling overly stressed. At least until some of the stessors in your life are dealt with or go away of their own accord.
I can't imagine what a faulty furnace would have to do with your symptoms. If carbon monixide poisoning resulted from the furnace problem - this would explain your nausae/dizziness, but other signs (pink skin) would also be present. Best to discuss this with your doctor.
Nancy

Old 03-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #3

rachelh69 HB User
I had to call the fire dept for the furnace because it smoked and nearly caught fire and that set off me panicing. I didn't have any of these symptoms until after this. It seems stupid I guess but that's what really set off me panicing. Every time I'd smell a funny smell or hear a banging noise{which precipitated the furnace smoking} I'd get panicky. It's silly I guess but I thought it was on fire. It certainly smelled like it and was smoking enough. And it's in a crawl space and isn't as easily accessible as in a basement. And I was just waking up when it happened and it scared me.
Yes I did have some problems with carbon monoxide with my furnace but that was a month ago. It has since been replaced with a new furnace.
I'm also over the bronchitis. It will be effective for one more day I think{the medicine I mean}. It's one of those medicines you take for only five days then it keeps working for five more days.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #4

minomat HB User
Re: funny feeling in chest

hey rachel, i have had the same problem for a little while now..the purring in the chest..mine seems to amplify when i bend over(wierd)..anyway ive been stressed and depressed recently which seems to be where its coming from

Old 02-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #5

malia HB User
Smile Re: funny feeling in chest

hey Rach I get the same things have had them for years now and lots of tests including to caths negative for any problems same with a echo no problem, they think mine are due to anxiey, but when I am having them i just know im dying. i hate them so much. I feel like a dummy if i run to th er but i just get so scared. Take cRE
MALIA

Old 02-08-2004, 02:17 AM   #6

wr6969 HB User

rachel69, I know just how you feel when these episodes occur. I remember when mine first occured they really stressed me out, causing major panic and anxiety attacks that I was going to leave this earth! Unlike you, my cardiologist, a very prominent and experienced one, told me that my palpitations, occasionally racing heart and "internal tremors" were benign and anxiety related, and this was just from listening from my heart and an ECG/EKG! She told me that it is highly likely that it would be a waste of money for me to do further tests such as a 24hr holter monitor or an echo, so I didn't pursue the matter.

It's now about 2 months after the palpitations first started, and I'm beginning to learn how to manage them better. I still have bouts where I am panicky and anxious, but with some self-assurance and anti-anxiety medications (I take a low dose of Ativan when needed) these symptoms have been easier to manage. It does take time for all of us, but first it has to start with us trusting our cardiologist's assurance that nothing is wrong with ourselves based on our test results! It certainly doesn't take overnight, and even those who have learnt to live with our condition are still subject to the occasional attacks.

Personally, when these happen to me, I'd find something else to occupy my mind - an idle one is a dangerous thing! I'd call friends up for a chat, for example, or read a newspaper and try to remember what I read later to focus my concentration. I'd do things like coughing hard, drinking water, blowing my nose while pinching it, and if I'm up to it, do some exercise on my treadmill. I find that while these may not work all the time, they do work some of the time, and certainly preferable to taking medications on a daily basis! I also have hypertension which certainly doesn't help!

I hope this helps in allaying some of your fears about your own situation. As suddenly as these symptoms appear, they may just completely disappear if we're mentally strong enough to manage and ignore them. At least that's a hope that I harbour on a daily basis!

Old 02-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #7

rachelh69 HB User

I'm surprised that this post got bumped up from a year ago when I first posted.
Anyway, after that, I went to another DR and had the 24 hr holter and echo done. There is no disease. I do have slight mitral valve prolapse. The DR said my valve is just slightly floppy. I was diagnosed with tachycardia and my DR says most of it is probably anxiety/stress related.
Anyway, I can't beleive how bad it was a year ago and how frightened I was.
I'm on medication now, metoprolol. I like it and it has really helped although I've seen some posts about it being the med from Hell. It works for me.
Actually my heart was racing but I didn't know that. I had no way to check it. The holter showed that it went up to 160, 170 several times in 24 hours. I had some PAC's and PVC's but less than 1%.
As soon as I started the medication my HR slowed down and I stopped waking up every morning with my heart racing and tossing and turning at night with my heart racing every time I turned. It was awful.
I see a chiropractor for back problems and I noticed that adjustments often help with the tachy. After a month or two I'll start waking up with my heart racing(not like before), I'll go to the chiro and it will stop for awhile. I was kind of surprised that helps but it does and am grateful and grateful the med works as well as it does.
I'm doing much better now although a year ago I was convinced I was going to die.

Closed Thread