It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Enlarged Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebeck View Post
As for medication. I was on 25mg of Atenolol daily. My doctor told me since I'm no longer having the PVCs that I no longer need to take it, so I'm currently not on any medication. I am starting to have issues with SVT, which I had before starting the Atenolol. I'm also starting to get the daily headaches back, which is one of the reasons I was put on the Atenolol. So I definitely plan to ask my cardiologist about that when I see her next month.
I don't understand why a medical professional, knowing that there are existing heart problems, would stop a beneficial medication.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-15-2008 at 04:43 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

My cardiologist gave me a prescrip for Atenolol for my PVCs, BUT he told me unless I felt like they were so bad I couldn't stand them I didn't have to take the meds. I found that magnesium helps my PVCs, so I have never taken the Atenolol. My valve problem is also a "watch and wait" situation. Other than the PVCs and an occasional run of very fast beats, I have no symptoms. I am 44. Is it correct that your heart is already enlarged and you are 27? Sorry if I misunderstood. My heart has not begun to enlarge....it was my understanding that was one of the reasons for the yearly echo....to watch for that kind of progression.

Of course, it is your aortic valve that is affected and it might be a different story with that.....but WHY does he think you would have to have the valve replaced twice? Isn't a mechanical valve expected to last for your life span?

Like beerzoids I would question the way the doctor is handling this.....maybe try a second opinion. I believe if during my echo next year my heart has enlarged my doctor would decide that I could no longer be without SOME meds or go ahead and do my valve replacement.

Please read up more on this.....itsjustme. The AHA suggests there is a "window" for valve replacement to occur, and I would think once your heart begin to enlarge you are either in that window or quickly approaching it.

Good Luck!
Mileena

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #18
(female)

itsmebeck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileena42 View Post
My cardiologist gave me a prescrip for Atenolol for my PVCs, BUT he told me unless I felt like they were so bad I couldn't stand them I didn't have to take the meds. I found that magnesium helps my PVCs, so I have never taken the Atenolol. My valve problem is also a "watch and wait" situation. Other than the PVCs and an occasional run of very fast beats, I have no symptoms. I am 44. Is it correct that your heart is already enlarged and you are 27? Sorry if I misunderstood. My heart has not begun to enlarge....it was my understanding that was one of the reasons for the yearly echo....to watch for that kind of progression.

Of course, it is your aortic valve that is affected and it might be a different story with that.....but WHY does he think you would have to have the valve replaced twice? Isn't a mechanical valve expected to last for your life span?

Like beerzoids I would question the way the doctor is handling this.....maybe try a second opinion. I believe if during my echo next year my heart has enlarged my doctor would decide that I could no longer be without SOME meds or go ahead and do my valve replacement.

Please read up more on this.....itsjustme. The AHA suggests there is a "window" for valve replacement to occur, and I would think once your heart begin to enlarge you are either in that window or quickly approaching it.

Good Luck!
Mileena
I am actually seeing 3 different cardiologist, all from the same hospital here in San Antonio. The hospital is one of the best in the military and I'm extremely happy and comfortable in the care I've been receiving.

Yes it's correct that I'm 27. I do have copies of all the reports and it says my heart is at the upper limits of normal in the right vent, so like I said, the enlarging at this point is very mild and they feel that by stopping the PVCs that should stop the enlarging or atleast slow it way down.

The valve, from what I read on the internet and the way my cardiologist explained it is that there are two types of valves, tissue valves and mechanical valves. The thing with that is, I would be having the entire aortic root replaced not just the valve. So it's a bit different. My understanding is those are designed to last only around 30 years. Meaning, if I'm 30 now, I'd need at least one more replacement in my lifetime, plus having to take anticoagulants etc. In any case, you have to weigh the risk of the surgery and what comes with the surgery, versus the risk living with it right now. At this point the risk of the surgery just doesn't outweigh the risk of living with it. I'm 27, (not yet sure if we'll be having more kids) in great health (other than the heart issues) I'm not over weight, I'm active. We caught this in enough time that my issues aren't life threatening. We are doing echos every 3 months, I've had an MRI as well as a CT heart study done. I feel extremely comfortable that my doctors are on top of this. I really have done a lot of research on this though (My husband works nights so I have a lot of free time! lol) and I feel very comfortable with the way my docs are handling it all.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
(female)

hrschk HB User

A quick "hello" to my cyber pal, Beerzoids - Your posts have actually helped very much in easing my anxiety about the situation - you have a great deal of knowledge and a good delivery of same! Just wanted to check in - my computer has been down for a few days - so I was unable to do any net stuff! :-( In any event, had the echo on Wed afternoon - my heart rate came down to 114 bpm during it - which was the lowest it ever went the whole 45 minutes we were in there! So, needless to say, I was beyond nervous! When it was completed, the tech said she couldn't tell me anything that my doctor would have to discuss the results with me. She told me he would have the report in a few days - so, I am going to call tomorrow (Monday) to see if he has it and what the results were and also get a copy myself. They said they would send copy to my PCP, also. It's crazy to be so uptight in either direction - I'm scared there could be something wrong and I'm scared not to know if something is wrong! I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested empowering myself in the knowledge and care of my heart - that is my new mantra to attempt to fully examine, understand and treat any possible issues.
I'm only 2 1/2 months pregnant - so just starting out. I haven't been able to fully comprehend the pregnancy as it was definately unplanned! Daddy is wrapping his head around it and has now moved into the "excited" stage. At my age, I just didn't think I'd be doing this again. My girls are almost all grown (24, 19, 16) and my son is 10. Crazy stuff!
Shoveling horse manure and pushing that wheelbarrow full of wet horse waste is quite a work out! I actually miss doing it! My exercise regimen would be horseback riding and just the general upkeep of the horses if I had my way - however, I don't have horses right now where I live! :-( Although, I'm hanging onto my saddle in hopes of changing that some day soon!
My triglycerides were 83 - the norm range on my blood test report said a range of 45-210- so that is really good, I think?
My cholesterol was 72 (HDL) showing a range on my blood test report of normal between 40-59 - but HDL is "good" cholesterol, right? So, a higher number than the average range is good? My LDL (calculated) was 118 which was a little high - the norm range on the report shows 0-100. So, I don't think that was too bad!

Sorry to get so long - just wanted to say "hi" - update you - and wish you a great weekend!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mileena42 HB User

Hi itsmebeck,

Sorry I got your name wrong before, there is someone with the name itsjustme! lol.

With the new info you gave me, of course you are doing exactly as you should. I guess that reply was some of my own anxiety seeping in....as I have a constant worry that my doc will allow me to go too long before he does my replacement. Yes, the way I understand my own situation is.....the quality of life must be less than the quality of life expected after surgery.

I also have the concern of the blood thinners for life....just do NOT want to do that...but I have never been on any kind of meds and don't want to face that until there is no other option. The pig valve of course wouldn't require that, but even at my age they say it's too young, as they tend to wear out.

I am sorry if I sounded like you shouldn't trust your doctors judgement. I didn't mean to come off that way, I have always been one to really get involved in my own health care, asking questions and telling them what I am willing and not willing to do. It usually doesn't make for a good doctor-patient relationship. lol

I want to live drug free as long as possible, but I do worry how sick my doctor will let me become before he is willing to replace my valve. I have RHD, and my mitral valve is 1.4cm. Thats pretty narrow, but according to the AHA not narrow enough for surgery. It's scary, and I worry about it quite a bit.

I am losing 0.1cm a yr, AHA doesn't suggest surgery until the valve is 1.0 or less. It looks like I have about 4 years unless something slows down my rate.
Again, I am sorry if I offended. I know how hard it was when I first found out, and I wanted to make sure you werent just listening to one doctor, and not being aware of the dangers.

Good Luck!
Mileena

Last edited by Mileena42; 03-16-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #21
(female)

itsmebeck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileena42 View Post
Hi itsmebeck,

Sorry I got your name wrong before, there is someone with the name itsjustme! lol.

With the new info you gave me, of course you are doing exactly as you should. I guess that reply was some of my own anxiety seeping in....as I have a constant worry that my doc will allow me to go too long before he does my replacement. Yes, the way I understand my own situation is.....the quality of life must be less than the quality of life expected after surgery.

I also have the concern of the blood thinners for life....just do NOT want to do that...but I have never been on any kind of meds and don't want to face that until there is no other option. The pig valve of course wouldn't require that, but even at my age they say it's too young, as they tend to wear out.

I am sorry if I sounded like you shouldn't trust your doctors judgement. I didn't mean to come off that way, I have always been one to really get involved in my own health care, asking questions and telling them what I am willing and not willing to do. It usually doesn't make for a good doctor-patient relationship. lol

I want to live drug free as long as possible, but I do worry how sick my doctor will let me become before he is willing to replace my valve. I have RHD, and my mitral valve is 1.4cm. Thats pretty narrow, but according to the AHA not narrow enough for surgery. It's scary, and I worry about it quite a bit.

I am losing 0.1cm a yr, AHA doesn't suggest surgery until the valve is 1.0 or less. It looks like I have about 4 years unless something slows down my rate.
Again, I am sorry if I offended. I know how hard it was when I first found out, and I wanted to make sure you werent just listening to one doctor, and not being aware of the dangers.

Good Luck!
Mileena
Don't worry, I wasn't offended at all! (The internet is such a hard place to "talk" on because you can't tell tone of voice.) I'm used to explaining my situation, and defending my docs because of my mom. She has a thing against military doctors and questions everything, so I've definitely done my research, if for no other reason to than shut her up! I hope all works out well with you! Good luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 AM   #22
(male)

frank11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrschk View Post
Does anyone have it? What are the symptoms? If I lay on my left side and put my hand on my left side-I can actually feel my heart beat/bulge while beating against my hand! Is this normal? I am thin - 5'3" and 120 lbs. I think my anxiety level is getting the best of me! How do you deal with these fears? The symptoms? Help!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #23
(male)

frank11 HB User

my heart got enlarged at 27, i'm 36 now.YOU have anxiety,,100% for sure. i had the exact same things.go to dr. and tell them the truth.people think zaniks are hard core, but not if you use them right.they can save and change your life.if i was your size my opinion only is .25 miligram of zanik (its spelled wrong)in the morning and then early evening.just prevenitive.its no good to wait until your in the middle of not feeling good.if you try that dose ,and only if you do feel that feeling coming on ,then slam 2 pills=.50 mg..i put it under my tounge,and wait 20 minutes and that screwed feeling will be gone.i'm no dr,but i do know about anxiety..i might not spell it right,,but i know what i know and claim nothing more.Its not an enlarged heart,for sure,,,if you ever had that,,you wouldnt have to ask,trust that.

Closed Thread