It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Post Homocystine levels?

anyone have elevated homocystine levels. Had blood work done, all was fine crp was negative, chol. 225, too high and my homocytine level was 16.5. normal is up to 12.4. mine is moderate up to 30. I have mitral reguration and also mild blockage on both sides of the carotid artery, Dr. scared me with homocystine and the chol. made it sound lke I was gong to have a stroke or heart attack at any time. have my own anxiety do not need her to add to it.

she put me on a script for foltx

2.5 mgs. folic acid

25 mgs. vit b-6

1 mg vit b-12

anyone have any feedback on this for me?
would appreciate it, thanks

------------------

pa235

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 08-08-2003, 11:51 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by pa235:
anyone have elevated homocystine levels. Had blood work done, all was fine crp was negative, chol. 225, too high and my homocytine level was 16.5. normal is up to 12.4. mine is moderate up to 30. I have mitral reguration and also mild blockage on both sides of the carotid artery, Dr. scared me with homocystine and the chol. made it sound lke I was gong to have a stroke or heart attack at any time. have my own anxiety do not need her to add to it.

she put me on a script for foltx

2.5 mgs. folic acid

25 mgs. vit b-6

1 mg vit b-12

anyone have any feedback on this for me?
would appreciate it, thanks

Would you rather that she didn't mention it at all? She is indicating to you that you have risk factors for a stroke/heart attack, and wants you to be aware of it. It sounds like she has prescribed you the right things to get your homocysteine levels down. Homocysteine has recently been recognized as one of the risk factors for a thromboembolic event (i.e. stroke or heart attack). If she didn't tell you about it, it would have been irresponsible, and if you DID have a stroke or something, you might have been upset that she didn't warn you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are right, I guess I just get to upset
Never heard of homocystine levels before this and know nobody that has this problem. I did do a search and found the combo of vitamins I am on is being perscribed by many Drs. to help in the fight of heart disease. My Dr. did tell me that this med.combo has been researched for years, and has taken plague away for some people, reduced it for some or may keep it from getting worse. Guess I should be thankful that she checked this out. she pratices preventive meds. Do you have any idea how long the foltx will take to reduce the level? Been om it for 2 months.

Thank you for the help and opening my eyes. my husband and I both had appointments together and he ask her if this was serious and she said no, but she wants that homocystine level down, because the higher the level, the greater the risk

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 08-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Its great that your doctor is looking at all the novel risk factors. The regimen given to you (folic acid) is the best treatment to reduce plasma homocysteine levels. Whenever you increase doses of a B vitamin like folic acid, you should always increase the B6 and B12 intake, which is what your physician did.

I take 1000 ug folic, 500 ug B12 and 100 mg B6 daily, without a prescription. Since you are taking even higher doses, perhaps ask your doctor if there is an eventual planned hepatic function panel? High doses of many vitamins resulted in elevated bilirubin in my case.

Old 08-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by pa235:
You are right, I guess I just get to upset
Never heard of homocystine levels before this and know nobody that has this problem. I did do a search and found the combo of vitamins I am on is being perscribed by many Drs. to help in the fight of heart disease. My Dr. did tell me that this med.combo has been researched for years, and has taken plague away for some people, reduced it for some or may keep it from getting worse.
Just a quick question...what do you mean by "plague"?
Quote:
Guess I should be thankful that she checked this out. she pratices preventive meds.
I'm glad you did....and practising preventative medicine is something that is being pushed a lot nowadays because most of the diseases that plague us in N. America are due to things that can easily be prevented.
Quote:
Do you have any idea how long the foltx will take to reduce the level? Been om it for 2 months.
To be honest, it's really hard to say. But there should be a difference in 6 mos.
Quote:
Thank you for the help and opening my eyes. my husband and I both had appointments together and he ask her if this was serious and she said no, but she wants that homocystine level down, because the higher the level, the greater the risk
glad to be of help! I'm glad you are working to reduce your homocys levels!

Old 08-08-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

plaque is the build of fat or calcium in the arteries.

------------------

pa235

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 09-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
(female)

watermaple HB User
Arrow Re: Homocystine levels?

A neurologist in Ga told me a few years ago that my homocystine level was too high and I have to take Foltx for the rest of my life. My level was 12. He said that normal is 5 or 6. I hadn't been taking it like I should so I had my level checked again this last week. It is still 12 and I was told by my doctor here that it is normal and that 14 and up is too high.

I decided to do some research and I found some interesting answers on this website.

[url]http://www.meridianmagazine.com/healthyoutlook/040429heartattack.html[/url]

It says that normal is between 5 and 6.3 so I decided to keep taking the Foltx every day religously. Elevated cystine levels can do so much harm to your body. I am not trying to scare anyone but just trying to be informative.

Please read the article and take good care of yourselves.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
(male)

Rig9300 HB User
Re: Homocystine levels?

pa235

Homocysteine is an important marker of cardiovascular health. There are many correlations between elevated homocysteine and chronic diseases. Epidemiological studies have demonstrated that levels above 10 umol/L are associated with a 3X increase of heart related problems. Forty percent of the patients with vascular disease typically have levels exceeding 10. High levels of homocysteine induce the growth of vascular muscle cells which are components of atherosclerotic plague. Also, the higher the level the greater the inflammatory response, which is another large factor for causing heart attacks. From what I have read, 7 or below is the goal. I hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Some of the newest studies this year have cleared homocysteine of aterogenicity...go figger!

My take is to err on the side of safety especially since folic acid is so cheap and completely safe...at least until the smoke clears.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The cardiologist just told my husband that folic acid does nothing for heart health. My G/P says the jury is still out and continue taking the foltx, it is water soluable so will not hurt you. Don't forget the B's to absorb the folic acid.

The health system can drive you up a wall, one thing is good for you one day the next day it is not. I just read an article in our paper that the HS- c-reactive proten should not be done if you have infection, fever or inflammation. Gee, Who doesn"t have arthritis as we age?

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Linda,

Absolutely! A sore throat, cold, bad tooth, arthritis attack or even muscle aches from a good workout will all skew a CRP test. BEst to view the trend over a fairly long time frame.

Anyhoo, I think a milligram of supplemental folate is still a decent idea til they get the homocysteine thing more settled.

Closed Thread