It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 10:52 AM   #1

Dergna HB User
Question Pacemaker after Ablation - How does it feel?

Hello,

I am having an ablation next week for SVT and the electrophysiologist has told me that there is a possibility of having a pacemaker after they are through as he suspects one of my extra pathways is too close to the heart's natural pacemaker.

Here's my question: for those of you with pacemakers, what has been your experience? What does it feel like? How long did it take for you to get used to it? If anyone knows any of these answers and doesn't have a pacemaker, I'd be happy to hear your take too!

I am very happy to get this ablation, as I've been on many diff't meds for a few yrs now and the SVT is now breaking through plus I would like to be off them for good. I forgot how bad the episodes could get without drugs until this past wk as he has me off them for 2 wks prior to the ablation. Yesterday my h/r shot up to 186 then I lost track & nearly passed out. This morning it happened again but it was too fast to count, I kept getting mixed up! Anyway, these episodes are purely exhausting so I cannot wait!

Thanks for any answers/experiences you can give me!

Old 08-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #2

Aussiemum2002 HB User
Hi, I had an ablation 2 yrs ago and now have a pacemaker although not due to the ablation. It takes a while to get used to feeling it through your chest wall. I found it felt heavy at first. I had to sleep on the opposite side and hug a pillow for weeks so it wouldn't hurt. It took many trips to the cardio to get the settings straight but once they did, it was much better. Overall, it's not the end of the world. You'll be sore for a while but painkillers work great. I didn't like the idea of having a pacer but now I forget it's there. Don't worry too much. You'll be fine. Good luck. BTW, I stll have SVT and PVC's that are worsening even after the ablation so I know what you're going through. The ablation itself is no big deal. You shouldn't even remember it.

Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread