It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #1

alwrunner HB User
Post Heart murmur??

This morning I went to the doctor's to get my yearly physical so I can participate in school sports. The doctor asked me if anyone has ever told me I had a heart murmur. I said no because no one has mentioned anything about me having one. He wants me to get it checked by a cardiologist, or he can't sign my physical form. He said it's very common to have, but that I should get it checked out just in case it's serious. Is there anything I should worry about? Or is it pretty common for a teenager to all the sudden get a hear murmur? I always thought it was something kids were born with. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks

Amy

Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by alwrunner:
it's very common to have, but that I should get it checked out just in case it's serious. Is there anything I should worry about?
Nah...I wouldn't worry. A lot of people have heart murmurs. All a "murmur" means is that there are some "extra" sounds when the doctor is listening to your heart beat. There are certain murmurs that are worrisome because they suggest some anatomical abnormality with the heart. However, a lot of the time, a murmur in a young person like you is nothing to worry about. The doctor is probably sending you to a cardiologist just to cover his/her bases. Cardiologists are much better trained at listening to and recognizing heart murmurs.
Quote:
Or is it pretty common for a teenager to all the sudden get a hear murmur?
I'm pretty sure that you didn't just suddenly get a murmur. It's probably been there for a lot of your life, just no one mentioned/noticed it before. Maybe because other people in the past didn't think it was important, or just plain didn't hear it.
Quote:
I always thought it was something kids were born with. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks
You don't have to be born with a murmur. There are murmurs that come about from congenital abnormalities, but there are also murmurs that come about when there is a change in one of the valves of the heart due to heart disease (usually the mitral or the aortic valve)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #3

NMc HB User
Hi Amy:
In a structurally normal heart, a murmur is nothing to be concerned about. Your doctor is simply being careful by referring you to a cardiologist. Further tests (echo)will determine the severity of the regurgitation (the source of your murmur) and this will dictate follow-up care, if required.
Nancy

Old 08-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #4

alwrunner HB User
Thank you so much for you help. You answered lots of questions and made me feel a whole lot better I have my appointment this tuesday with the cardiologist. They told me it's common, and I shouldn't be worried. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks again!

Amy

Old 08-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #5

heart4321 HB User
How old are you? I'm 14 and I have a heart murmur too. Well first I palpitations 3 times so the doctor told me to come in. He found that I had a heart murmur and an irregular heartbeat too so he referred me to a pediatric cardiologist too. They were all so nice there, and I have to go back in 9 months for a follow-up with the SVT. There I had an EKG which showed sinus arrythmia, but it's nothing serious, that I might have SVT and that the heart murmur was systolic (which means on the LUBB sound) but it's still innocent. Anyway, your murmur is probably innocent. A lot of people have them sometime in their lives. The doctors didn't hear it in me before. Well I'll be waiting to hear your result. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #6

alwrunner HB User
Smile

Well I went to the cardiologist this morning and turns out I'm normal and healthy He said that 60% of kids have heart murmurs, and they just checked me to see if mine was anything worse. And it isn't. Thanks for keeping me sane since I didn't know a thing about heart murmurs By the way Heart I'm 15, thanks for the reply Chow

Amy

Closed Thread