It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

jerry78 HB User
Post Athletes Heart or Left Ventricular Hypertrophy due to Blood Pressure

November 2001-Excercise treadmill Stress test....Normal test and Normal EKG

Began a strength training and aerobic training program in 2001 up until the present

Present (This week-2003): Monitored for the past year (2002-2003 for mild hypertension-put on meds this week for it-EKG this week suggesting Left Ventricular Hypertrophy...

Could cause be from BP in 1 years time, or more likely from 2 years of lifting weights and walking 3 miles a day?

Old 08-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #2

NMc HB User
Hi Jerry:
It's possible your mild hypertension led to LVH, but unlikely given the time frame. Most likely, you have "athletes heart" (as you suggested). Another possibility is that the EKG detected LVH where there was none - this is a common finding in thin individuals. An echo would be more accurate in assessing heart structure - are you scheduled for one?
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Whoa! NMc...just a second there. LVH if you find it on the EKG in leads V1 and V5, it's pretty sensitive and specific to LVH especially if the combined voltages are over 35 (i.e. the S in V1 and the R in V5). The only real way that this could be inaccurate (even in a tall thin person) is if the person had a "horizontal lying heart", but that would also change the axis on the rest of the leads, which the doctor has to account for!!

I do agree, however, that an echo can confirm the diagnosis.

Old 08-17-2003, 04:03 AM   #4

NMc HB User
I agree the left lateral leads would detect LVH, but I've seen EKGs that the met the voltage criteria in a perfectly healthy heart. The reason offered was that the individual was a thin male - although I seem to recall there was also some right axis deviation. Without knowing what else the previous poster's EKG recorded, am only offering all possible explanations for his LVH.
How's London these days? Affected by the power outage?

Old 08-17-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by NMc:
I agree the left lateral leads would detect LVH, but I've seen EKGs that the met the voltage criteria in a perfectly healthy heart. The reason offered was that the individual was a thin male - although I seem to recall there was also some right axis deviation. Without knowing what else the previous poster's EKG recorded, am only offering all possible explanations for his LVH.
How's London these days? Affected by the power outage?
Really? Right Axis deviation? That sounds very strange NMc. I agree, though, it's good to add every possible explanation...I was just confused at yours.

Anyway...yeah...London is good, but we did suffer from the blackout. I was lucky...I only lost my power for a little under 12 hours....there are a few areas in London that are still suffering.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Speaking of which NMc...are you a healthcare professional or student?

Old 08-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #7

NMc HB User
Clinical research (rehabilitation) and teaching. I enjoy learning so take a few CME courses now and then. If you're in London, you're at U. Western Ontario? Great school. Have you decided which area you'll specialize in?
We were also without power - 24 hours. Still a number of homes without, so am grateful they got us on-line so quickly.
Back to the ekg results - RAD in a thin person would not yield ekg results consistent with LVH? I'll have to check my notes and see where I went astray.

Closed Thread