It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 01:12 AM   #1

johngk HB User
Post Heart or Stomach?

Hello. I am a 28yr male, no known health problems. Just recently I have been having sharp pains in the center of my chest that radiates to my back. The pain worsens when I take a deep breath and worsens when I bend over. No shortness of breath, and there is no pain anywhere else. My pulse didnt change during the pain.

The firt time I had an episode, it lasted for 2 hours. It happened again today, but only for a few minutes. Both times, it started a few minutes after eating.

A particular detail that is important to note is that the pain was not constant. It only hurt during a hearbeat.

I am going to make an appointment to see a doc, but I am afraid because I have no health insurance. Anyway, any feedback would greatly, I mean GREATLY be appreciated.. Thank you!

Old 08-09-2003, 07:05 AM   #2

1btg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by johngk:
Hello. I am a 28yr male, no known health problems. Just recently I have been having sharp pains in the center of my chest that radiates to my back. The pain worsens when I take a deep breath and worsens when I bend over. No shortness of breath, and there is no pain anywhere else. My pulse didnt change during the pain.

The firt time I had an episode, it lasted for 2 hours. It happened again today, but only for a few minutes. Both times, it started a few minutes after eating.

A particular detail that is important to note is that the pain was not constant. It only hurt during a hearbeat.

I am going to make an appointment to see a doc, but I am afraid because I have no health insurance. Anyway, any feedback would greatly, I mean GREATLY be appreciated.. Thank you!
Seems to me that you have GERD or Gastro esophagial reflux disease. Or as we used to know it before they gave it this fancy name, "heartburn".
I remember a few years ago during one of my attacks , I was at work and I bent over to reach something and it was murder. One night it was so bad, I went to the ER. The doc gave me pepcid, which btw didn't work, and a list with foods to avoid. Also instructions on how to elevate the head of my bed. Of course nothing worked because when that hydrochloric acid gets into your esophagus feels like hot knives go thru your chest and back. Surgery may correct this problem but I never have it. Finally I threw away mylantas, pepcids, zantacs etc and started eating anything i want..what do you know, I had and still have a 90% improvement. Was I lucky?
Anyway, you still need to go see a doc, because what I wrote is not a diagnosis nor I am a doctor but judging by your symptoms it's likely what I have and the "bend over" thing it's a clear indication. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
Inactive

pdrq221 HB User
A lot of that seems consistent with GERD, except usually heartburn doesn't radiate to the back. Pain radiating to the back, such as near the right shoulder blade in gallbladder diseases, can be a sign of something else, too. I wouldn't worry, but make sure if you go to the doc you mention that it radiates to the back.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:46 PM   #4

johngk HB User
Exclamation

Hi thank you for your replies. I haven't seen a doctor, baaaaaad, I know... But no insurance, and I am living off of a student's income, : (

But anyway, I did make some changes that seemed to have a profoundly positive effect. I eliminated caffeine, stopped eating junk food, no more fried or greasy foods, and I drink a lot of water, A LOOOT of water.

This small but important change has kept me symptom free since I last posted on this board. I also feel a lot stronger and more energetic...

Thanks again for the replies, I really do appreciate the time you took to help me out. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
Inactive

projapoti HB User
By the way, a quick thing, GERD and heartburn aren't exactly the same thing. The former is much more serious and chronic than the latter.

I agree that GERD is probably one of the most likely things on the differential diagnosis; however, the pain when breathing and radiating to the back also suggests some type of problem with the lung like an irritation of the pleurae or something. You'll probably have to get a chest x-ray to rule that out.

Closed Thread