It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #1

jes356 HB User
Post Short PR?

The other day I went to the doctor because I was having heart palpitations and was given an EKG. I didn't have any palpitations during the test, but the doctor said it showed that I had a short PR and referred me to a cardiologist. Does anyone know exactly what a short PR means or if it is serious?

Old 08-21-2003, 07:39 AM   #2

NMc HB User
Hi Jes:
Did your doctor detect any other abnormalities on your ekg - like a widened QRS complex? From your description (palps, short PR interval), you could have something called Wolff Parkinson White syndrome, but this would best be determined by a cardiologist (not someone on this board). If you haven't done so, make that appointment with the cardio and get a full work-up. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
If Wolff-Parkinson-White was present, there would be tell-tale signs on the EKG like a delta wave. They're pretty prominent actually, and you don't need a cardiologist to diagnose it. The short PR and palpitations most probably means that there is an irritable focus which is near the nodal junction. WPW is pretty rare too, and it USUALLY won't just show up in a person though I'm not saying that it can't. That said, good call on the WPW anyway NMc...it is something that needs to be ruled out, obviously.

Closed Thread